mcarterbrown.com  

Dealers Forum Paintball Dealer? Having a Special? Let us know here.

Old 09-11-2013, 08:28 PM   #61 (permalink)
Red=Moderator

And I started gluing up the handle on the leather washer/cherry knife. Now to get that 2Ton Epoxy so I can glue on the cherry tomorrow.

58626_10201986235475821_292027741_n.jpg

That's 40 lbs sitting on 8 washers sitting on the spacers and guard... in a vice.

E
Schmitti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 09:25 PM   #62 (permalink)
Post Whore

Keeping an eye on this one. ^^^

I would soooo bump that in my garage, btw.

why do you think i drive so carefully?

My feedback
danssoslow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 08:45 AM   #63 (permalink)
Red=Moderator

Plates came off this morning and it looks good. just some trimming before I glue on the Cherry... well that and actually getting the epoxy. Was going to go to the hardware store last night for it but they were closed by the time I was ready to leave the house.

E
Old 09-24-2013, 10:24 PM   #64 (permalink)
old but still playing

Send a message via MSN to Ranger 53

Sorry about the slow return on here but life got in the way. I received one of schmitti's Knives from my secret santa last year it was the small one in his pictures with the neet handle. I have finally been able to use it and it is one of the best skinning knives I have ever used, fitts the hand like a dream and just the right size to alow the finger to fit behind the blade and gide it as you open the animal out and holds a great eadgeas well.
thanks again secreat santa and Schmitti as well for making it.
Ranger 53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 08:51 AM   #65 (permalink)
Red=Moderator

Dude! That's awesome! Glad you like it. I was worried your silence meant you thought it was a piece of poo but were to kind to say so. This makes me very happy!

And this is the knife he's referring to (Jantz pattern blade with Olive Drab Micarta handle scales):
PICT2329.jpg

And now that I'm all giddy... I spent about an hour last night working on two knives. Did some fitting on both until I was happy and Glued those suckers up!

Knife 1. Had to futz with the last leather washer on the stack to get it flush. Did some fitting on the block of Cherry and Glued that sucker up!
1379743_10202166402859893_1080538273_n.jpg

Checked this morning and that block is on there for good! Sorry for the crappy phone pic. At that point I still had some curing goop on my fingers and I couldn't dig around for my camera. Notice the "Clamp"... well two clamps. Using brute strength to hold things together is all well and good, but after a day of moving mulch it gets old quick. Little clamps work great. But I foresee forking over the cash to get a real knife clamping jig to do this better in the future.

As to this specific knife... I'm going to keep this one. BUT, I will be doing stacked washer knives in the near future, but with the buyers choice of blade. There were enough learning curve stumbles in this one that I don't feel right selling it to someone. So again, if you have interest in a knife with a stacked leather and wood/bone/micarta/anything I can get in a block then I will make you one.

Knife 2. This one is for my friend as a gift. I've been farting around with this thing for close to a year. Part of it is wanting to make him a really nice knife... and part of it is fear that I will somehow really screw it up. Well last night I got over any and all trepidation I had had, made some decisions, changed things up, fitted things and then glued it up!

2013-10-06 21.23.56.jpg

I was just looking back on my progress pictures and this layout is the same as what I originally had a while back. Simple and clean. Photo does not do the wood any justice. Old photo below (the final version will not have a plate on the pommel)
36479d1355022642-schmittwerks-sharp-stuff-pict2585_resize.jpg

Checked on that handle this morning and it was on there good too. Another day or so for full cure (not that it needs it but hey, gives me time to do other stuff) and I'll start shaping it. That Amboyna is ROCK hard stuff.

So for future. I can put a mixed Leather/(insert material) handle on just about any hidden tang blade so long as I can put some kind of guard/ferule on it and the end is either factory threaded or annealed so I can rivet it or thread it.

Jantz has discontinued the above blades, but has other blades that will surely meet your need/wish/desire:
Mirror Polished Hidden Tang Blades
Hidden Tang
Bowie Knives
And yes I could even do a tactical blade with the stacked mixed material handle:
Knife - High Tech Fighter Blade

Or Thompsons (Thompson's Scandinavian Knife Supply, LLC) has some really nice looking Scandinavian grind blades that would look awesome with a leather and wood/bone handle.

Still need to work up a price on what that would cost for the fitting and handle work.

E

Last edited by Schmitti; 10-07-2013 at 09:01 AM.
Old 10-07-2013, 08:58 AM   #66 (permalink)
Red=Moderator

And just a plug for one of my suppliers (no I'm not paid to do this).... Thompsons puts together a very nice knife kit ( Scandinavian Knife Making Kits ) and they also sell a handful of EnZo kits (I'm linking two.. there are more with different types of blade steel... just go to the main page linked in my last post)
EnZo Trapper O1 Deluxe Kits
EnZo Nordic O1 Kits

If you have the time and ability, I would highly recommend trying your hand at one of the EnZo kits or his kit. I put together the Thompson kit and it makes a very nice knife!
196135_4202923429707_1860423952_n.jpg

E
Old 10-08-2013, 08:30 AM   #67 (permalink)
Red=Moderator

Last nights progress... Filed until my arms were tired:
2013-10-07_J_knife.jpg

Wood is just wet to show the grain.

E
Old 10-09-2013, 12:58 AM   #68 (permalink)

Looking good! Ive been waiting to see that burl carved up.
Old 10-09-2013, 10:37 AM   #69 (permalink)
Red=Moderator

Thanks! I'm trying to squeeze time in every night to file away on it. Need to find my half round and rat tail files as I need them on the front side. That's the problem with moving... and then having to shuffle all the stuff from the storage area... REALLY important things like tools go temporarily MIA.

E
Old 10-11-2013, 11:10 AM   #70 (permalink)
Red=Moderator

So I've been working a bunch on the Burl handle... and I have the leather/Cherry handle 2/3rds glued up, but I thought I'd take a really quick shot to show how I actually shape them when using a file... sorry for the crappy cell phone pic:

1378661_10202192495912203_2026276613_n.jpg

Basically if you are going to use a file you either need to grow a third REALLY strong arm or clamp the knife to something so it won't move.

For the Burl handle I've need to file it in two different methods. First I was working on the back side of the guard to remove material and align the handles, spacers and guard (as seen above). To do this I clamp the protected blade in the bench vise and work the Magicut (specialized mill) File over the back of the guard. Basically keeping the file working parallel to the floor .. in reality though I'm working in an arc. The idea being that you can apply more force when you work parallel to the floor as you are pushing down on the file and work piece the entire time.

So when I need to work on the side of the handle I take my BIG C Clamp and clamp the blade to the work bench and work the side... again working in an arc.

E

Last edited by Schmitti; 10-11-2013 at 11:14 AM.

mcarterbrown.com » Buy, Sell, Trade » Dealers Forum