mcarterbrown.com  

Dealers Forum Paintball Dealer? Having a Special? Let us know here.

Old 03-22-2013, 03:37 PM   #51 (permalink)
www.Axial-Photography.com

CCM Fan
AKA Fan
Bump

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deuce View Post
Play stupid games, win stupid prizes.
chopper duke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 03:37 PM   #52 (permalink)
Red=Moderator

Hey guys... no new movement on things. Still working on the kitchen (IKEA has forgotten to give me more than a few pieces) and working outside (I may get to set fence posts in the rain this weekend!).

But I'm really looking forward to gluing up some knives and shaping again very soon!!!!!

More pics when I have something to share..... Ranger53... I would still love if you could give me some feedback on that knife you got in this past years Secret Santa.

E
Schmitti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 03:44 PM   #53 (permalink)
Red=Moderator

And to prove I'm not being lazy.... trying to use and work on the kitchen at the same time... SUCKS!

Before:

Now:

The other end:

Before:

This is the wall in the Left of the above picture:

The pass thru/island where the stove is.. in the Before Image I was standing in a wide doorway basically that the stove is now butting up to:

I've gotten a few more cabinets filled in and knobs and pulls on every door/drawer that is on.

I'll post the before pics later... but I need to sort through a bunch of photos to find them.

More... The pass thru before it was framed with a halfwall:

Framing it out (That's my Dad):

In the background you can see new drywall where we framed and walled in a 5' wide door to the living room... that's where the wall of cabinets and counter is (shown above). We also put in a shorter window where the sink is... it had to be moved over some too.. otherwise the sink would have been on the floor.

E

Last edited by Schmitti; 05-09-2013 at 06:32 PM.
Old 05-10-2013, 06:44 PM   #54 (permalink)
Post Whore

Funny. In the IKEA commercial, the lady changes rooms at the speed of thought. Real life doesn't work that fast, no?

danssoslow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 09:56 AM   #55 (permalink)
Red=Moderator

You better have no other distractions and have everything already plumbed, wired etc.

We've had to do demo work, framing, drywalling and mudding (it takes a couple days just to do a couple coats of mud and sand), some minor structural stuff, the new window, all new plumbing (I moved the sink 6 feet from where it was to the new location... thank you PEX), all the lights needed re-wiring in the new area (that was a cluster F) the stove needed to be re-wired as it's about 10 feet from where the other owner had his.... and I work full time and have other stuff going on.

It's going to look great when it's done though.. which will hopefully be soon.

E
Old 05-11-2013, 12:50 PM   #56 (permalink)
Post Whore

I love remodels!!! Especially kitchens with soffits that are being removed. Nothing like having to track down a poopton of wires and reroute/refeed them. Thank God for recess lighting and their large junction boxes!

Kitchens and bathrooms are always money well spent; and there is a heap of satisfaction when it's all completed. Good on you! It looks great!
danssoslow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 01:29 PM   #57 (permalink)
Facta Non Verba

Send a message via MSN to Deuce

Fan of EMR
CCM Fan
Erik, you've been a busy man! It's looking good though!

Co-Captain/ Co-Founder
Team-Awesome

Quote:
Originally Posted by chopper duke View Post
I'd wipe, play-on and overshoot.
Deuce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 06:27 PM   #58 (permalink)
Red=Moderator

Thanks guys.

I actually had to have an electrician come in because things were such a mess. In the dining room that we extended into he had three lights (two recessed on either side of a table lamp). The table lamp was on a 4-way switch. The recessed lights were on a 3-way switch..... with only one switch. My electrician ended up pulling 30' of wiring out of the ceiling. It took him a day just to figure out the mess so he knew what to pull.

Got more cabinet guts and faces on today. The one end is almost done (other than the toe-kick and trim under the wall cabs which I'm saving until the waaaaaay end).

E
Old 06-04-2013, 09:18 AM   #59 (permalink)
Red=Moderator

Well this stage of Kitchen work is almost complete. Saving trim work for later as I have too many other projects to do at the moment outside. I can do trim in crapy weather or in the winter.

As to knives!

Yesterday I spent $160 on a bunch of files, a face shield, a leather edge slicker/creaser, a blade for my wife and a couple of books. Going to bring the belt sander over from the other house soon and start creating some dust. Some of the files I purchased are diamond files... so hopefully I can teach myself how to do file work on blade spines and tangs. This will certainly add another really cool dimension to knives.

I'm also going to start working on some of the projects in the leather kit I got for christmas... also another cool thing for sheaths. If I can get comfortable with my skill or lack there of then I will try to offer custom sheaths along with the knives I make.

I'll keep you all informed once things get moving again.

E
Old 09-11-2013, 04:04 PM   #60 (permalink)
Red=Moderator

Well with plenty of projects still on my plate I squeezed in some knife work.

The knife for my friend is in final fitting stage. I added a nickle silver spacer between the blue and yellow which is not shown in this pic.

1174660_10201980450891210_138354773_n.jpg

I need to just do a tiny bit more fitting work and then run to the store to get more 2 Ton epoxy as mine dried up in the past year. SUCKS.

And I soaked and compressed the leather washers (I bit the bullet and bought pre cut/stamped washers as they were nicer than the ones I cut) for the leather/cherry handled knife. That one should be sale here by mid October at the latest.

The blades for both knives (The same blade, formerly SS525 in Jantz's catalog) is no longer available... which sucks because it was affordable and very nice. So I will have to work to find a replacement for future knives.

Thanks for following this thread and for your interest. If you can hang in there until the spring I may be able to start making custom knives as previously offered. This year has been a total wash on the knife end of things but I've gotten a lot done around the farm as we have settled in.

E

mcarterbrown.com » Buy, Sell, Trade » Dealers Forum