mcarterbrown.com

mcarterbrown.com (http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/)
-   Dealers Forum (http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/dealers-forum/)
-   -   [APS RAM R Series] RAP4 Information (http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/dealers-forum/22171-%5Baps-ram-r-series%5D-rap4-information.html)

Game_Initiation 09-09-2007 06:14 AM

[APS RAM R Series] RAP4 Information

This information is written by Game Initiation.

We ask those who wish to copy any of this text and share it with others to credit us.

http://gameinitiation.com/logo_aps.jpg

http://rap4.com/images/logo1.jpg

Introduction:

Many people who read about these markers view them as your normal paintball gun. RAP series paintball markers are in no way your normal paintball markers, and people need to realize certain things about them. This particular thread will be about the popular RAP4, or APS R series marker. These markers are made to look and function just like a real M4 carbine, the most commonly used firearm in the military and S.W.A.T. organizations. RAP markers were made with serious law enforcement/military training and hardcore scenario paintball players in mind. These markers were not made to be used in normal paintball games where most of your fellow players are using Tippmann, Diablo, Bob Long, Dye, and other such brand markers.

Made For Realism:

As stated above, the RAP4 is made to look and function like a real M4 Carbine/M16/AR-15 style firearm. First we will get into the general look and feel of a RAP4 marker. Below is a picture of a RAP4 marker with a few custom add-ons. This picture shows you that a RAP4 is nearly impossible to differentiate from a real firearm.

The RAP4 is made to be a 1to1 scale replica of the real thing. This means that the RAP4 is the same size and shape of the real firearm. The RAP4 is also made to have a 93%-97% accurate weight ratio compared to the real firearm when using standard stock parts or the authentic standard carbine parts. Combine those 2 important aspects of the design with a full metal body and you have the most realistic marker in the world. This is why the RAP4 is becoming a very popular choice in training military and police personnel, and is even being chosen over simunition because of its low price tag.

As stated in the last paragraph, there is a RAP4 that has authentic carbine parts installed rather than the normal plastic parts. These parts replace the plastic handguard and butt stock with the handguard and butt stock of a real firearm, which are solid and nearly indestructible. Also included is a rubber pistol grip to replace the original plastic grip. These parts are becoming more available, and in turn, more popular due to the added realism. This raises the bar for realism even higher.

Stop Hopping Around and Give Me a Magazine!

One of the things people need to understand is the way a RAP4 is loaded. A RAP4 marker uses magazines and not a hopper. This adds a whole new realm of realism to your mil-sim experience. However, this is the one feature of the marker that makes this a big NO for most players. Many people think a magazine based loading feature is cool simply because its more realistic, but keep in mind that realism isn't what most kinds of paintball game types are about.

Each magazine can hold 20 rounds of paintballs. Each paintball is also put into a plastic or alloy shell casing. Shell casings are required to fire your RAP4 marker. This is one thing that can be really annoying when using a RAP series marker. Putting paintballs into casings can take up a lot of time, luckily stores have been selling pre-cased paintballs to save time. While this can help a great deal, shells are reusable so there is no reason to keep buying more all the time. Casing paintballs a day or two before a game can relieve some of the stress caused by the activity, but will still bother some players.

Remember that most paintball guns carry 150-200 rounds because of a hopper based loading system. This is why RAP series markers are a big NO for speedball games. Playing speedball with other players who use RAP markers can, and is, a lot of fun. But keep in mind that there are very few RAP series marker fans out there who are even interested in Real Action Speedball games. Also keep in mind that many woodsball players have not got into the Real Action "craze", as woodsball is where many new players start and usually use a normal marker such as a Tippmann.

Ex-Caliber:

RAP4 markers use .40 or .43 caliber paintballs. They CAN NOT use normal .68 caliber paintballs, which are the ones you will find at nearly all stores that sell paintball and air gun supplies. Very few physical location based stores sell these kind of paintballs, forcing many players to order online.

This can be a problem for many players, but isn't as big of a problem as you think. The only downside to having to order online is the wait time. 40 and 43 caliber paintballs cost much less due to their smaller size, therefore requiring less paint per ball. Ordering paintballs in large quantities will actually end up being cheaper than ordering normal .68 caliber paint, but will end up costing about the same when ordering basic amounts due to shipping fees.

Also, remember that because these paintballs are smaller, they are effected by weather more. To make up for this, RAP4 markers fire at a much higher velocity rate. This does not make the game more dangerous or more painful, as the smaller size means less energy behind the hit. RAP4 markers fire at an average of 400 feet per second. There is a big difference firing a 43 caliber paintball at 400fps than a 68 caliber paintball. However, most fields will still not allow a RAP4 because of its velocity speed. RAP4 markers have not yet been approved for official play, but some fields will allow them because they have personally seen the markers in action and can confirm that they are indeed safe to use.

Sorry, its late and I am getting a little tired. So things may seem a little quick in this last part.

Distance, Power, Rules:

I decided to retype some information in its own section so it is easy to find. RAP4 markers are more powerful than your standard marker in terms of velocity speed. 280 feet per second is the most common speed rule set at official paintball fields. RAP4 markers shoot at an average of 400fps, making them "illegal" at most paintball fields. Some fields do allow them, and this is generally due to the face they have seem and/or used them personally and can confirm that they are indeed safe to use. RAP4 markers do not cause more harm or more pain, as the smaller paintballs have less overall mass.

Also, remember RAP4 markers are indeed paintball guns. While they look, feel and function like a real firearm, they do not shoot as far as one. RAP4 markers have a 200ft max effective range, similar to most high end paintball markers. While you can customize your RAP4 using any real firearm accessory, such as a scope or red dot sight, they are mainly for theatrical use and/or spotting the enemy from a distance. Do not expect to be able to shoot farther than other players simply because they are using a normal paintball gun.

Quick Facts:

RAP4's:

Have a select fire mode without the need of electronics, no batteries or other power source is required.

Select fire offers semi-auto and fully automatic modes. Select fire looks, feels and operates just like the real thing.

Fully automatic fire can be adjusted to shoot between 2 and 27 balls per second.

Velocity can also be adjusted.

The trigger locks when a magazine is emptied, this is a METS only feature.

Can use any standard tank, such as a pure energy 20oz. The only downside to using a tank larger than the 45g and 65g tanks is that you must take the butt stock off or use a remote line.

Can use any standard remote line.

Both a normal 45g tank or 65g tank can be used with a normal tank, such as a 20oz, at the same time when using a remote line and the 90 degree adapter. You can also fill tanks this way using a simple trick.

Can use HPA without modification.

Can use any accessory a real firearm can use (RIS, Mounts, Scope, Sight, Laser, Camera, Grenade Launcher, etc), even accessories made to fit airsoft rifles as long as the airsoft rile is a 1to1 scale model.

Can be fully submerged under water.

Chemical-X 09-16-2007 01:52 PM

You may want to change the part reguarding these guns as no fun in speedball because of their limited cap. I am sure loading a new mag is faster in most cases than filling the feed on a stock class gun. I have a ton of fun using SC pumps in speedball which is much harder than using a pump, semi pistol, semi auto, or even an electro.

idkfa 09-19-2007 11:47 AM

Is this even allowed? It is an advertisement for a commercial entity and should be in the Dealer Forum (I think I am correct on that one).

Painthappy 09-19-2007 02:09 PM

Moved to the Dealer forum....

Surestick 09-19-2007 02:23 PM

Quote:

am sure loading a new mag is faster in most cases than filling the feed on a stock class gun.
Quite a bit slower actually. The magazine is spring-fed. To reload one you need to wind up the spring (theres a little wheel on the side) then put the paint in the magazine (IIRC the .68 cal version takes 15 paintballs). It's a two handed job & takes maybe 15-20 seconds.

hank_k 09-19-2007 02:31 PM

^ 18 actually, had one for a while.

I think he's meaning that to swap magazines is faster than a stock class reload though.

Duzzy 09-19-2007 03:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Surestick (Post 214100)
Quite a bit slower actually. The magazine is spring-fed. To reload one you need to wind up the spring (theres a little wheel on the side) then put the paint in the magazine (IIRC the .68 cal version takes 15 paintballs). It's a two handed job & takes maybe 15-20 seconds.

He said a new magazine, not the same one with new paintballs. ;)

Chemical-X 09-19-2007 04:46 PM

Ive used those mags before and slapping in a new topped of secondary mag has got to be faster than traditional loading of SC markers. That being said im not too slow with loading my phantom.

Azzy 09-19-2007 09:01 PM

Let me ask something here.. because it needs to be done. Have they fixed the issue of the paint being so hard (and low mass) that it bounces off anything?

I have an M4 for a few months, interesting gun, was upgraded and current, but even adjusting the velocity and reletivly new paint, I could bounce paintballs off of rocks only 10 feet away 9shoot these with a mask ON!)

Never at a feild regulation velocity have I seen them work well in a game, you might as well just use airsoft.

Game_Initiation 09-24-2007 01:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Azzy (Post 214379)
Let me ask something here.. because it needs to be done. Have they fixed the issue of the paint being so hard (and low mass) that it bounces off anything?

I have an M4 for a few months, interesting gun, was upgraded and current, but even adjusting the velocity and reletivly new paint, I could bounce paintballs off of rocks only 10 feet away 9shoot these with a mask ON!)

Never at a feild regulation velocity have I seen them work well in a game, you might as well just use airsoft.

I know what you mean, but there are 2 different kinds of .43 paintballs. There are the normal ones and the hard shells. Make sure you don't buy the hard shells... I too have heard that they don't break easily even with the velocity up.