mcarterbrown.com  

Dealers Forum Paintball Dealer? Having a Special? Let us know here.

Old 08-09-2006, 08:50 PM   #1 (permalink)
Rec Poster

Paintball Hand-welted Pistol Holsters

Hey guys,

It was suggested that I post here. I have been making hand-made,hand-welted holsters for several years and now have gotten into paintball pistols. Right now, I have several models for the Tac 8 that is being sold through Engler Custom Paintball (http://www.englerpaintballguns.com/) and through D.Taylor Knives & Custom Holsters. Different pistol models will be available soon. In the meantime, should you be interested in a custom holster in either leather or Kydex you may contact me at dtaylorknives@setel.com. Other than custom work, I have several standard models for the TAC 8, including fast draw,duty rigs,tactical leg harnesses and shoulder harnesses. Ariakon and Zeus models are coming in the near future. This not intended to take away from Mr. Butch. It appears he does real nice work...my hat's off to anyone crazy enough to do this for money
Fast Draw
Double Shoulder harness
"Souless Kydex"
Duty Holster

Last edited by Windwalker; 08-11-2006 at 04:40 PM.
Windwalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2006, 08:59 PM   #2 (permalink)
I'm Comin' To Getcha!

Fan of EMR
CCM Fan
Very nice work,If I still had a TAC-8 I'd get one
LPPC Member #71

Feedback
Chaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2006, 09:10 PM   #3 (permalink)
Rec Poster

Thank you...it's a labor of love. I could always just sell you the holster...it would still look killer strapped on your side even without a marker in it.

No seriously, thanks for the kind comments!

Windwalker
Windwalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2006, 12:06 AM   #4 (permalink)
Seasoned Member

Boy those DO look killer. Makes me want a Tac 8 for sure!
MrJR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2006, 08:24 AM   #5 (permalink)
Rec Poster

Thanks!

I will be introducing some other models in late fall for the ACP 2.0 and maybe a zeus or two. I 've got to get some of these Tac's out the door and once I have some playing time I will start on the other models.

What is the most popular brand of Paintball pistol?? Specfically, what I am asking is this....what does players want to have a custom holster made for....Ariakon, Zeus, TAC 8, etc??
Old 08-10-2006, 08:33 AM   #6 (permalink)
Post Whore

I really like the black holsters and the shoulder one in particular. One thing that I might suggest is that you make a shoulder rig that has the marker on one side and on the other has a place to put extra magazines. Most players will probably only have one T8 so a double rig might not be as big of a seller as one that has both the holster and magazine “holsters”.

Just an idea…

Great work.
POG #934 / CPPA #2157 / LPPC #1 / BLACKLEAF OUTFITTERS
"Post because you have something to contribute, not because you want to contribute to your post count." - Me
A5OG / STRIKE FORCE MEMBER
shartley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2006, 08:43 AM   #7 (permalink)
Mod/mod

Fan of EMR
Good idea, Sam. Also, the mags are heavy enough that two or maybe three of them weigh as much as the loaded gun does, so that would balance nicely.

Me, I am too sweaty generally for a shoulder rig.

I would like to see something like the old belt slung WW2-era USGI holster for the .45 ACP. I still haven't acquired a taste for the leg secured tactical fabric look.

D.
Drum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2006, 08:49 AM   #8 (permalink)
I'm Comin' To Getcha!

Fan of EMR
CCM Fan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Windwalker
Thank you...it's a labor of love. I could always just sell you the holster...it would still look killer strapped on your side even without a marker in it.

No seriously, thanks for the kind comments!

Windwalker

Yeah,I suppose that would look cool....
If you made one for a CIP Super Stock I'd definitely be interested
LPPC Member #71

Feedback
Chaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2006, 08:55 AM   #9 (permalink)
Post Whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drum
Good idea, Sam. Also, the mags are heavy enough that two or maybe three of them weigh as much as the loaded gun does, so that would balance nicely.

Me, I am too sweaty generally for a shoulder rig.

I would like to see something like the old belt slung WW2-era USGI holster for the .45 ACP. I still haven't acquired a taste for the leg secured tactical fabric look.

D.
I have used both the hip and thigh holsters and honestly, I prefer the hip with a swivel over the thigh. My reasoning is that when you run it just moves way too much on your thigh even if you have it securely tied down. But on your hip the whole setup stays more secure (IMHO). The idea of a “quick draw” simply does not happen very often (read: seldom to ever) in real life. And with a hip holster with swivel, you can tilt the weapon forward when seated in a car and it rides comfortable as well as out of the way of your seatbelt or other things you may have.

So while the thigh offers the marker/weapon at a more relaxed arm/hand position, it just doesn’t get used in that manner often enough IMHO to warrant the extra stuff and downsides of a thigh holster.

Sure, a lot of folks like the tactical look of a thigh rig, and you see them all the time in paramilitary pictures, but as someone who has used both (for both military as well as Law Enforcement situations) I will go with a high hip holster any day over the thigh rigs… or of course a shoulder rig, for all the same reasons I listed against a thigh rig. I just think too many folks choose their setups for paintball (as well as other purposes) for how it looks, not how it actually works.

Again, good luck Windwalker on your sales, I like seeing top end products like these. And leather is just so classy and “natural”.
shartley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2006, 08:57 AM   #10 (permalink)
Rec Poster

good points both. The double shoulder rig was an order for a pballer over in Germany. It was made to his specs... he's a dual wielder and wanted the double shoulder harness and I suggested the tie downs and the safety straps not pictured. It seems the mag pouch is very popular....looks like I'll have to try my hand at it I am currently making a Kydex version of a shoulder harness for the owner of Viper Scenarios...it's going to be like shartley has suggested. It will have ballistic nylon webbing for the straps and elastic for the belt tie downs to allow some additional freedom of movement.

Drum, hmm, I may be able to do that in leather. I seem to recall owning that very holster, but in canvas. I'll have to dig around the closet and look for it in all that mess....that'll make the wife happy

mcarterbrown.com » Buy, Sell, Trade » Dealers Forum