mcarterbrown.com  

Dealers Forum Paintball Dealer? Having a Special? Let us know here.

Old 07-19-2014, 02:13 AM   #81 (permalink)
Post Whore

Send a message via AIM to Deathwish_DW Send a message via Yahoo to Deathwish_DW

Updated the first post a bit. Still working on stuff.c

Make your Ion a Mech!!

*Click Me*
Y0da900/Deathwish_DW's Mechanical Ion Kit for Sale Thread
*Click Me*

MCB Feedback 107+
PBN Feedback 355+
eBay Feedback 2600+
Deathwish_DW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2014, 09:49 PM   #82 (permalink)
Post Whore

Little bit of an update.

Still behind, but slowly making progress.

We received a respectable quote to have an entire run done from a shop we have used in the past. It's significantly more than we'd like, but as we've said in the past, we are able to eat it.

We're going to approach the back cap situation by taking what the machinists we gave spoken with have said and end up making a few different "acceptable" revisions which we will ask them to comment on in terms of their ability to produce it up to our standards. This gives all of us a bit of flexibility.

We also put up a quote for the engines themselves on a large site for quotes, so in addition to the few people we are working with right now, there will be a broader spectrum of bids. Essentially, we're doing everything we can at this point to get the ball rolling. There is always time to make it up in quantity or down the line, so again, cost is not a terrible influence. Time and quality is much more pressing.

I'll be firing off some emails to a few of the machinists we have been speaking with in a bit and then we will wait until Jonathan double checks the backcap geometry we went over tonight. I believe we looked at 4? revisions. The last one was pretty neat. A kind of twisted slot. =p

Anyhow, we're chuggin' along. It's slow, but with all of the comments we have been getting and the expert advice, we are in a better position to get items made that are up to our standards.

Make your Ion a Mech!!

*Click Me*
*Click Me*

MCB Feedback 107+
PBN Feedback 355+
eBay Feedback 2600+

Last edited by Deathwish_DW; 07-26-2014 at 10:12 PM.
Old 08-12-2014, 03:30 PM   #83 (permalink)
Post Whore

Something, Something, looks like it works in the G5.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WOwFDPSDeNY

Still testing/tuning. Backcap revisions have been sent out for quotes to get them manufactured ASAP. Might need to get the G3 bolt heads redone as well - unsure as of this moment.

Make your Ion a Mech!!

*Click Me*
*Click Me*

MCB Feedback 107+
PBN Feedback 355+
eBay Feedback 2600+
Old 08-12-2014, 03:39 PM   #84 (permalink)
Made With 100% Potato

AKA Fan
Kilt Fan
Palmers Fan
Woohboy das loud.
Not assuming anything though. This looks interesting still abd I cant wait to see the finished product.
YeloSno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2014, 03:44 PM   #85 (permalink)
Post Whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by YeloSno View Post
Woohboy das loud.
Not assuming anything though. This looks interesting still abd I cant wait to see the finished product.
Yup. It was pretty loud, but then again, just dropped it in from the stock setup without changing anything. Main goal was to verify that the grooves would not cause issues and it does not look like they did.

It worked fine in my G4, but same deal - I dropped it in without changing anything. G3 bolt head had some issues so I was not able to test it yet. Might be a bad piece or a bad run. We're unsure as of this moment.

Make your Ion a Mech!!

*Click Me*
*Click Me*

MCB Feedback 107+
PBN Feedback 355+
eBay Feedback 2600+
Old 08-13-2014, 03:10 AM   #86 (permalink)
MCB Member

What are we looking at for ETA at this point? I'm considering buying a G5 to put one of these in now that I've figured out how to stop the reg from being bypassed and over pressurizing the gun.
jerryjjackson69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2014, 03:20 AM   #87 (permalink)
Post Whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerryjjackson69 View Post
What are we looking at for ETA at this point? I'm considering buying a G5 to put one of these in now that I've figured out how to stop the reg from being bypassed and over pressurizing the gun.
The botched machining on the caps really hurt us.

Right now, I am estimating 2-3 days until we have our complete quote.
After that time, it will be 4-6 weeks until we get the parts.

We should be able to get any testing done in the next two weeks to verify everything.

The potential that the G3 bolts are messed up adds another issue into the mix, but we are looking into it.

Side note about the G5 -> Is that common? I noticed mine kept spiking reg wise..

Make your Ion a Mech!!

*Click Me*
*Click Me*

MCB Feedback 107+
PBN Feedback 355+
eBay Feedback 2600+
Old 08-13-2014, 01:29 PM   #88 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by YeloSno View Post
Woohboy das loud.
The G5 is always crazy loud when dry firing though.
Ashur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2014, 04:07 PM   #89 (permalink)
MCB Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deathwish_DW View Post
Side note about the G5 -> Is that common? I noticed mine kept spiking reg wise..
Extremely common. Of the 30 I sold at least 20 had issues with it. Sometime they would shoot 500 FPS, usually the solenoid locked up and the gun wouldn't degas unless you unscrewed the reg or back cap. It frequently trashed the reg seat as well. This all still happened even with LP tanks. We still recommend an LP tank on the gun, because the other common issue is the oring between the ASA and frame likes to pop out. Definitely tighten that screw regularly.

As for the regs bypassing, replace the separating oring with a Planet Eclipse 14x2 oring (it's not a true 14x2, so the brand does matter), and then stretch a 012 or tippmann valve oring over the threads where the reg goes into the body. This extra oring just helps the reg lock in place so users don't spin the reg a tiny bit during use. If the reg is loosened the retightened then the separating oring likes to kink and allow pressure to bypass. This is with the original and PE replacement.

Hope that helps!
jerryjjackson69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2014, 04:55 PM   #90 (permalink)
Post Whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerryjjackson69 View Post
Extremely common. Of the 30 I sold at least 20 had issues with it. Sometime they would shoot 500 FPS, usually the solenoid locked up and the gun wouldn't degas unless you unscrewed the reg or back cap. It frequently trashed the reg seat as well. This all still happened even with LP tanks. We still recommend an LP tank on the gun, because the other common issue is the oring between the ASA and frame likes to pop out. Definitely tighten that screw regularly.

As for the regs bypassing, replace the separating oring with a Planet Eclipse 14x2 oring (it's not a true 14x2, so the brand does matter), and then stretch a 012 or tippmann valve oring over the threads where the reg goes into the body. This extra oring just helps the reg lock in place so users don't spin the reg a tiny bit during use. If the reg is loosened the retightened then the separating oring likes to kink and allow pressure to bypass. This is with the original and PE replacement.

Hope that helps!
That is very interesting. I will have to take a look at it when I get more air as the little bit I have is slated to be used on the G3 today.
I really appreciate the response. The damn thing was driving me nuts. I know that the backcap gauge will spike because you're dumping the volume, but some of the numbers I was seeing made me question what was going on.

Make your Ion a Mech!!

*Click Me*
*Click Me*

MCB Feedback 107+
PBN Feedback 355+
eBay Feedback 2600+

mcarterbrown.com » Buy, Sell, Trade » Dealers Forum