mcarterbrown.com  

Dealers Forum Paintball Dealer? Having a Special? Let us know here.

Old 11-24-2006, 08:23 AM   #11 (permalink)
sold for fish tacos

Fan of EMR
Brass N Wood Fan
It may be beneficial to call and see if their claim to them has run out. Or take and modify the battle grip to make it better.

What about plastic custom pumps? Loke mentioned earlier, you coulddo a set of pumps specifically for a group, and offer matching grips.
Riverside Renegade Paintball / C.C. S.V.S. Plankowner - LPPC#6
www.AzzysDesignWorks.com - best replacement jeep gauges in the biz
Old Timer Feedback
Azzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2006, 09:15 AM   #12 (permalink)
Post Whore

I am VERY glad to see you taking this new route. Good form.

Yes, I would suggest looking into getting either permission for copying grips or if the rights to the designs are now free. But chances are even if a company is no longer making the product they still own rights to it. Contrary to popular belief just not making a product any more does not relegate the rights to it to the public domain.

As for design input…. The biggest issue I heard when making grips for Sheridan grip frames was that the originals were too small. With panels it is not very easy to add the bulk and have them feel right (because of the size of the frame itself), but with front wraps it is much easier to do. And I found most people preferred the front wraps. So that would be a direction to consider focusing on, although it is more complicated than panels. Feel free to shoot me off a PM or E-Mail if you would like to chat about it. I have considered this myself (and even have what I need to do it), but never gotten around to it. I have some ideas concerning removable insert panels and stuff that received good feedback when I discussed it with folks online and I would be more than happy to let you run with the ideas if you wanted.

Again, good form and I take my hat off to you for doing the right thing.

POG #934 / CPPA #2157 / LPPC #1 / BLACKLEAF OUTFITTERS
"Post because you have something to contribute, not because you want to contribute to your post count." - Me
A5OG / STRIKE FORCE MEMBER
shartley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2006, 05:04 PM   #13 (permalink)
sold for fish tacos

Fan of EMR
Brass N Wood Fan
You know the 2 of you could work together, using one of Sam's custom grips for a mold, and splitting them in 2 like the battle grips were done.

Battle Grips of the 21st Century!
Riverside Renegade Paintball / C.C. S.V.S. Plankowner - LPPC#6
www.AzzysDesignWorks.com - best replacement jeep gauges in the biz
Old Timer Feedback
Azzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2006, 12:00 AM   #14 (permalink)
Ghost with the most

Send a message via AIM to Phantom Power Send a message via MSN to Phantom Power

The most comfortable plastic grips I've felt on a Sheridan frame are the LAPCO W-1 grips that are on my Sniper II.

The finger grooves are great, and unlike most other grips I've felt that have finger grooves, they're properly spaced (well for my hands anyway). Definitely look into making something similar, with front wrap around finger grooves for each finger. I bet they'd sell well.
Phantom Power is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2006, 09:20 AM   #15 (permalink)

Grips

Kind of new so.... When you make the grips,are they all going to be "hard" or can you do soft ones like Dye style? Are you going to be able to alter the mount holes? Whatever you make,I am very interested! Thanks.
pbjones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2006, 09:13 PM   #16 (permalink)
Pretty sure I'm not 'Agg'

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbjones View Post
Kind of new so.... When you make the grips,are they all going to be "hard" or can you do soft ones like Dye style? Are you going to be able to alter the mount holes? Whatever you make,I am very interested! Thanks.
I can use several different formulations of material from stuff that would be soft like the DYE's to stuff that would be as hard as a pool ball.

So far for Sheridan, I am leaning toward a wrap around style probably more like the lapco's than anything. I always felt that Battlegrips were a bit bulky but the stock panels were too small. As a lefty, I hate thumbrest grips.

Nelspot/Daisy is a little trickier. They will have to be a little bit bulky to allow the cart to be changed w/o removing the grip. Ambidexterity may not be possible because of this. A flexible rubber grip might be advantageous on the Nelspot/Daisy frames.

The 3357 is trickier still. Still very much in the Ummmm stage here. Considering two styles here. One that looks like the old time stag horn grips for nostalgia types and another set that gives them a more modern pistol look. Through the grip cart change not possible unless the grips have some sort of alternative mounting system.

Brass Eagle, still very much up in the air.
scarecrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2006, 02:57 AM   #17 (permalink)
Thick

Send a message via AIM to HurtCow

CCM Fan
AKA Fan
Palmers Fan
I seem to recall a conversation w/ Glenn regarding the Battle Pump where he said something about his alleged sole contribution to the shape being a bit of urban legend, that his hand was but one of the many that was sized for it. I'd call the shop and ask him directly. He's very accessable.

If I hurt your feelings or otherwise offended you, click here.
HurtCow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2006, 03:04 PM   #18 (permalink)
Red=Moderator

Yeah and if you get him to laugh it's well worth the call!

Hmmmmm... I think a Rootbeer (clear brown) grip with metal flake would look awsome on a sheridan pistol.... if you could make a matching pump so much the better!

E
Schmitti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2006, 03:27 PM   #19 (permalink)

If my curiosity is any gauge of universal commercial interest, I'd say there's a market out there for color coordinated grip frames and pump handles. Non-stock Sheridan grip frames are hard enough to find these days anyways.

Something like a Hogue or Dye Sticky (medium firm to medium soft, respectively, with finger grooves) would be my preference. Hard like the stock ones is just not that comfortable.
frederic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2006, 05:19 PM   #20 (permalink)
Thick

Send a message via AIM to HurtCow

CCM Fan
AKA Fan
Palmers Fan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Schmitti View Post
Yeah and if you get him to laugh it's well worth the call!
Yeah- "Hack hack hack hack cough cough cough". Very entertaining.

If I hurt your feelings or otherwise offended you, click here.
HurtCow is offline   Reply With Quote

mcarterbrown.com » Buy, Sell, Trade » Dealers Forum