mcarterbrown.com  

Old 10-13-2011, 03:06 AM   #1 (permalink)
Official LL5 Dolphin-Dive

Send a message via AIM to PistolRogue

Pierce Seal Problems

Has anyone else had an issue with blowing the seals out of the CCI pierce pin assemblies, or is it just me? Whether it's with the lever changer on the DSG or the screw-type side dropout on my Zeuses, I seem to lose these things an awful lot.

Last night I may have found a solution, or at least, a better alternative; remove the flat face seal, run a light bead of superglue around the outside edge of pierce "cup", and put a size-matched o-ring in there instead. With Leland 12ies, not only does it seem to seal much more easily (lever doesn't have to be set nearly as tight to seal), but I've ripped the lever open with 6 almost completely filled 12g's and the oring has made no attempt to exit the pin assembly. Doing so with the stock CCI pierce seal would blow out almost every time if I didn't slowly open the lever and allow the gas to purge gradually (obviously not ideal in a firefight).

Just curious if anyone else has encountered this or if it's been limited to me, myself, and I... I seem to remember DM6Rocker losing one of his at the last NJ MCB get together, if I'm not mistaken, leading me to believe we are not alone.
FEEDBACK
PistolRogue is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2011, 03:38 AM   #2 (permalink)
Boom. Yummy

Brass N Wood Fan
Kilt Fan
Definitely have had this happen. Can't remember who did it, but someone used a type of glue/resin(something that didn't dry completely hard)/can't remember exactly....

Anyway, he dripped it in slowly, letting it dry into a new, very durable seal. Sounded nice.
dundadun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2011, 03:43 AM   #3 (permalink)

I vaguely remember the thread I think, searched all over but couldn't find it... I think it was RTV sealant or something... Maybe CJ? Either way my superglued o-ring seems to be holding for now, I'll put it through its paces at the MCB g2g this Saturday and see how long it lasts.

It's just one of those really pesky problems that I find really annoying personally. Nothing makes me more angry than getting into a fight and getting left defenseless because of some stupid failure. I was inches away from carving into my wood grip to route macro through it and use the gun as constant air but figured I'd try the o-ring trick first.
FEEDBACK
Old 10-13-2011, 03:52 AM   #4 (permalink)
Boom. Yummy

Brass N Wood Fan
Kilt Fan
And when the oring gets too worn you just goo-off it?
dundadun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2011, 07:22 AM   #5 (permalink)
Original SWARM

Try drilling a small bleed hole just above the seal surface at 90 degrees from the slots.
Smiley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2011, 07:58 AM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
And when the oring gets too worn you just goo-off it?
Granted I haven't tried it yet, but it's still glued on to a smooth metal surface, so I'm expecting and Xacto blade wouldn't have a problem picking off any remnants. Besides I'm not sure how long it would take to wear out as it's using compression for a seal still, so it isn't like the o-ring should really wear much. Degradation due to freezing might be another story though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smiley View Post
Try drilling a small bleed hole just above the seal surface at 90 degrees from the slots.
I was thinking of that too. I'll see how the o-ring trick works out long-term and if it doesn't hold up I'll try epoxy and the bleed hole on a stock seal.
FEEDBACK
Old 10-13-2011, 09:25 AM   #7 (permalink)
more gooder

Fan of EMR
CCM Fan
Quote:
Originally Posted by PistolRogue View Post
Has anyone else had an issue with blowing the seals out of the CCI pierce pin assemblies, or is it just me? Whether it's with the lever changer on the DSG or the screw-type side dropout on my Zeuses, I seem to lose these things an awful lot.

Last night I may have found a solution, or at least, a better alternative; remove the flat face seal, run a light bead of superglue around the outside edge of pierce "cup", and put a size-matched o-ring in there instead. With Leland 12ies, not only does it seem to seal much more easily (lever doesn't have to be set nearly as tight to seal), but I've ripped the lever open with 6 almost completely filled 12g's and the oring has made no attempt to exit the pin assembly. Doing so with the stock CCI pierce seal would blow out almost every time if I didn't slowly open the lever and allow the gas to purge gradually (obviously not ideal in a firefight).

Just curious if anyone else has encountered this or if it's been limited to me, myself, and I... I seem to remember DM6Rocker losing one of his at the last NJ MCB get together, if I'm not mistaken, leading me to believe we are not alone.
Stop ejecting full 12 grams. Bit of a waste isn't it?

I have had it happen in the shop too, but I am intentionally ejecting partly full 12 grams since I don't have time to shoot them down when testing. Its really related to the speed at which you can eject using the lever. There is no bleed down. Its just GO! The gas goes behind the seal to vent and just blows it out.

Its possible to do it with a bucket changer as well.
dukie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2011, 11:19 AM   #8 (permalink)

Well I tested with full ones to make sure it worked. In play I've had them blow out with partials too. One of those things where if I know I'm about to dive headlong into the grinder I'd rather go in with a full than half-full 12ie loaded up, you know?
FEEDBACK
Old 10-14-2011, 09:09 PM   #9 (permalink)
Thrillin' Heroics

I've had a big problem with it too. Fortunately, I generally only dump a half-full one between games, so I have time to let it bleed for a second, but it's still a pain. Going to try the RTV trick soon.

Glory, glory, what a hell of a way to die,
With a rifle in your hands and you're falling through the sky,
Glory, glory, what a hell of a way to die,
He ain't gonna jump no more!

Quote:
Originally Posted by usagi_tetsu View Post
Nothing says "violent and insane" like sharpening a shotgun.
Marauder_Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote

mcarterbrown.com » Paintball » The Armory » Dukie