mcarterbrown.com  

Old 06-19-2012, 01:09 PM   #1 (permalink)
Official LL5 Dolphin-Dive

Send a message via AIM to PistolRogue

The Pirate DSG gets... UN-Pirated??

8/9/2012- The Finish Line:

6/19/2012- The Build Begins:
Long story short, decided that I hate 12 grams. Decided while I don't mind remotes on most guns, I don't like the feel of one on this gun. So what else is a man to do?

Here are some pics of the checkering that I already posted in the Custom forum:

And before someone with a good eye busts my balls for it not being symmetrical side-to-side, it's because the left side of the stock has a recess/depression shaped into it to better fit my hand, so the checkering on that side follows the border of that recess instead of matching the right side perfectly.

6/29/2012- Update!

Started hogging out the stock... This is just a start, need to bore out a hole for the ASA now as well as boring the countersink for the stock's mounting screw a little deeper to get it out of the way of the ASA.

Ordered some brass and other various materials last night so hopefully I'll be able to start working on the end-plate the moment I've got the stock completely hogged out for the hardware.

7/18/2012- Making Chips

In the meantime, here's what I've been working on:

Brass Stock Endplate

Making chips:

Still need to cut the new barrel clamp so that it can actually clamp, and then everything will need to be polished the rest of the way, but it's shaping up nicely so far. Next up is the 1/4-28 to 1/8" NPT adapter for the air line, and cutting down/milling the underside of the brass rod that's going to slip in where the 12g sat and cover the plumbing.

10/16/12- MOAR PICS and Detail Shots:

Well I promised more detailed pics of how everything works and fits together so here they are. Pics should speak for themselves but if you've got any questions feel free to ask.

FEEDBACK

Last edited by PistolRogue; 10-16-2012 at 01:03 PM.
PistolRogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 01:49 PM   #2 (permalink)
Wookie D*ck

Hey man, speaking from experience, I highly recommend some sort of on/off, or at least a downstream bleed valve to drop pressure. Screwing a 3.5 into a tank-in-stock gun is not for the player in a hurry.

One of those pushbutton on offs would work incredibly well. You could just drill a small hole on either side and use an allen to actuate the button.
russc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 08:41 PM   #3 (permalink)

I hear you Russ, it's mostly a matter of packaging. I have on/off valves for the tanks but they require cutting a lot more out of the stock to allow them to screw in. Plus, since it's going to be held in by a brass endplate I'm not really looking at a fast-change setup anyway. 280-300 shots is probably as much as I'd possibly shoot in 2-3 hours of a scenario game at which point I'd be coming off for a water break anyway, so I can take my time changing it back at the tent.

You know how it is with custom stuff- everything's a compromise... I may try to get creative with an on/off system later but for now I'm leaning a little more toward keeping the aesthetics intact.
FEEDBACK
Old 06-21-2012, 12:10 AM   #4 (permalink)
DonkeyPunchTheNightAway

Brass N Wood Fan
The tank is wider than the butt stock, is it not?

Would it be possible to cut out the stock in the shape of the tank and have the butt of the tank be flush to the back of the stock. Than have a internal line w/the on off inset into the stock?

Ok think typing sense I cant say it out loud here... The burst disk would get in the way on screwing it into the stock... so.....

How about a pivot point on the on off so it will swing out to the left so you can screw in the tank than pivot it into the stock?

Or maybe I remember a few years ago in a big box store they had these thin disposable co2 tank that can be screwed into the marker as long as you have a adapter...
Something like this... HERE

Also found this Which is refillable.

This keeping your stock looking pretty on the outside and larger co2 tank hidden on the inside.

Last edited by Acidpaintball; 06-21-2012 at 12:17 AM.
Acidpaintball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 12:15 AM   #5 (permalink)
Wookie D*ck

Quote:
Originally Posted by PistolRogue View Post
You know how it is with custom stuff- everything's a compromise... I may try to get creative with an on/off system later but for now I'm leaning a little more toward keeping the aesthetics intact.
If you 1/8 ball valve in there by the dummy 12 gram you could vent downstream pressure when you're trying to screw the tank off. I mean, I guess you could just flip the DSG 12 gram lever, but that seems like it would be potentially unreliable/unsafe.

1/8 NPT ON/OFF Ball Valve [FITT016] - $16.00 : Palmers Pursuit Shop, Where Custom Still Means Something

Or are you making it so the tank sticks out when the buttplate is removed?
russc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 12:21 AM   #6 (permalink)
Predatory Bird Oculus

Brass N Wood Fan
Palmers Fan
You might want to stain that stock so it matches the pump handle.... Looks good!

Hawkeye20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 09:17 AM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by russc View Post
If you 1/8 ball valve in there by the dummy 12 gram you could vent downstream pressure when you're trying to screw the tank off. I mean, I guess you could just flip the DSG 12 gram lever, but that seems like it would be potentially unreliable/unsafe.

1/8 NPT ON/OFF Ball Valve [FITT016] - $16.00 : Palmers Pursuit Shop, Where Custom Still Means Something

Or are you making it so the tank sticks out when the buttplate is removed?
The one problem with your suggestions here is that you are making the assumption that I am using a dummy 12g and/or retaining the original lever changer

Quote:
You might want to stain that stock so it matches the pump handle.... Looks good!
Now now, it would be kind of silly to stain it before I finished cutting on it, wouldn't it? Don't have pics yet but the larger part of the tank cutout is, well, cut out. Still have to bore the hole for the ASA to sit in and then figure out how I want to drill through the grip to route the air line. That's the real tricky bit since I wanted to go OVER the hole for the stock screw but it's quite thin up there, I may have to go under or to the side of it instead which complicates routing it up to the lever changer area.
FEEDBACK
Old 06-24-2012, 11:56 PM   #8 (permalink)
Mill Masseuse

CCM Fan
AKA Fan
I'm going to be doing something similar with my DSG, but will be using a 13hpa tank. Don't have mine yet, but I plan on running a line through the back of the DSG.

WTB: RT (Robtown) Valve/hammer kit for 04 Excalibur

WTB: Racegun autocockers
diesel_fireman2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 10:41 AM   #9 (permalink)

Good luck- I wanted to use a 13/3k but they are so long that you practically have to gut the stock from the back all the way into the front of the pistol grip to fit the tank AND ASA in there... I think it would wind up being too weak, plus the cutout would be huge and not exactly pretty. That's why I wound up going with the 4oz.
FEEDBACK
Old 06-29-2012, 11:30 AM   #10 (permalink)

Small update!

Started hogging out the stock... This is just a start, need to bore out a hole for the ASA now as well as boring the countersink for the stock's mounting screw a little deeper to get it out of the way of the ASA.

Ordered some brass and other various materials last night so hopefully I'll be able to start working on the end-plate the moment I've got the stock completely hogged out for the hardware.

Now, here's where I've kind of been a little stuck as to how to proceed: the airline. After the last time I used CO2 with macro (resulting in the pachmayr's getting blown straight off of my SA17 while it was in my hand), obviously, macroline is out. Was thinking of using stainless braided hose since I have a bunch of different pieces lying about, and could couple it with QD fittings so that the stock is easy to remove if I have to for storage/maintenance/whatever. But I know I could do hardline which would be a smaller hole to drill through the grip of the stock to route it... Anyone have any input/suggestions?
FEEDBACK

mcarterbrown.com » Paintball » The Armory » Dukie