mcarterbrown.com  

Old 05-08-2013, 09:35 AM   #61 (permalink)
Official LL5 Dolphin-Dive

Send a message via AIM to PistolRogue

I really like it Dukie... the only cosmetic suggestion I have is to try carrying the "gill" milling up into the feed cover, might help to make it look more integrated. Or might just make it look stupid lol. That's what CAD renderings are for though, isn't it? I think I have to vote for cram n jam on this one myself, or at least the option.

Also, maybe skip the chamfer on the top of the slide and the bottom of the feed cover to make it more seamless?
FEEDBACK

Last edited by PistolRogue; 05-08-2013 at 10:08 AM.
PistolRogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 10:41 AM   #62 (permalink)
MCB Member

When I'm looking at a marker that I have not played with and it has a cram and jam, I always have to wonder how it will handle with a tube hanging out of it. The conjured image is probably always worse than reality.
Old 05-08-2013, 11:01 AM   #63 (permalink)
more gooder

Fan of EMR
CCM Fan
Quote:
Originally Posted by CJOttawa View Post
Yeah, I mean the joint or fillet between the upper tubes.

Looks much better all tacticooled though. No shens - make it happen!
Not a whole lot I can do with it. There will be a joint. I'm making them with round tubing to keep the costs down ( and hence the price). I can bore it out about 100 times faster and semi finish the outside in short order. Then I only have to make flats in the mill and do a couple of much smaller chamfers. Not including all the rgular milling to fit the feed and frame, but I have to do that either way.

I'll try it with larger tube and post it up later.

Yes, sadly I like it too. lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by PistolRogue View Post
I really like it Dukie... the only cosmetic suggestion I have is to try carrying the "gill" milling up into the feed cover, might help to make it look more integrated. Or might just make it look stupid lol. That's what CAD renderings are for though, isn't it? I think I have to vote for cram n jam on this one myself, or at least the option.

Also, maybe skip the chamfer on the top of the slide and the bottom of the feed cover to make it more seamless?
I can try that.

I'll fifure out how to make a cram and jam work and put that in as well.

Its not a chamfer, its the outer radius of the tube.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spider! View Post
When I'm looking at a marker that I have not played with and it has a cram and jam, I always have to wonder how it will handle with a tube hanging out of it. The conjured image is probably always worse than reality.
Just to be clear, you guys mean a cram and jam as in nelspot style right? IE no feedcap and sock saver?

I might even be able to do an either/or due to the way its built.
My Feedback
first strike pez dispensers in stock - pm me!
dukie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 11:19 AM   #64 (permalink)
MCB Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dukie View Post
Just to be clear, you guys mean a cram and jam as in nelspot style right? IE no feedcap and sock saver?

Good point. I was referring to the minimal feed port that you would leave a tube hanging out of, as opposed to a onboard, built-in feed tube.

Some people do seem to use "cram and jam" for the CCI feed gates or sock-keepers.
Old 05-08-2013, 11:35 AM   #65 (permalink)
Official LL5 Dolphin-Dive

Send a message via AIM to PistolRogue

Quote:
Not a whole lot I can do with it. There will be a joint. I'm making them with round tubing to keep the costs down ( and hence the price). I can bore it out about 100 times faster and semi finish the outside in short order. Then I only have to make flats in the mill and do a couple of much smaller chamfers. Not including all the rgular milling to fit the feed and frame, but I have to do that either way.

I'll try it with larger tube and post it up later.

Yes, sadly I like it too. lol

I can try that.

I'll fifure out how to make a cram and jam work and put that in as well.

Its not a chamfer, its the outer radius of the tube.

Ah, didn't realize it was milled from tubing. That actually makes a lot of sense, clever move! As for the cram and jam, yes, like a Nelly or R7. Feed gate wouldn't be a deal breaker but I think a cram and jam would look better overall and then I could finally run my WTF pouches capless like they were intended...
FEEDBACK
PistolRogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 12:05 PM   #66 (permalink)
WALZ Jr.

CCM Fan
Brass N Wood Fan
Loving the new design, and the aluminum!

Quote:
I told him NOT to fart with an upset stomache. never trust a fart!
Bigtuana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 12:45 PM   #67 (permalink)
more gooder

Fan of EMR
CCM Fan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spider! View Post
Good point. I was referring to the minimal feed port that you would leave a tube hanging out of, as opposed to a onboard, built-in feed tube.

Some people do seem to use "cram and jam" for the CCI feed gates or sock-keepers.
Thats exactly why I asked!

Quote:
Originally Posted by PistolRogue View Post
Ah, didn't realize it was milled from tubing. That actually makes a lot of sense, clever move! As for the cram and jam, yes, like a Nelly or R7. Feed gate wouldn't be a deal breaker but I think a cram and jam would look better overall and then I could finally run my WTF pouches capless like they were intended...
You do know that a 10 round tube pushes right into a feedgate right? Why could you not run capless with a feedgate?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigtuana View Post
Loving the new design, and the aluminum!
thank you!

Anyone know the retention ring diameter of a 10rnd tube? I have the OD, but not the diameter of the 2 rings.
My Feedback
Old 05-08-2013, 01:28 PM   #68 (permalink)
more gooder

Fan of EMR
CCM Fan
Not entirely sure I like the look of the larger upper tube. It lacks character now.

My Feedback
Old 05-08-2013, 01:58 PM   #69 (permalink)
Sorry, that's classified.

I don't like the large upper either I do like that shortened feed, you said would still manage 11 rounds right? It looks sleek like that.

Besides if a simple mod is wanted all that's needed is some effort on our end. A feed gate can easily be attached and the flaps used to hold a tube in place. I wasn't too hot on the original duckbox... Liked the concept, not the first draft. But hey community project like CJ said

Edit: I'm still hot for the tacticool/tactisilly mockup

Last edited by Donut SD; 05-08-2013 at 02:03 PM.
Donut SD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 03:22 PM   #70 (permalink)
more gooder

Fan of EMR
CCM Fan
Quote:
Originally Posted by CJOttawa View Post
Naw, that doesn't work anymore. You'd have to make the lower comp section smaller or wider, similar to the DuckBox concept.

Come to think of it, Apoc hasn't patented anything and it was a community effort designing the DuckBox. Steal that design.

More seriously, just go back to what you were doing before...
no, I don't do that.

back to regularly scheduled programming

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donut SD View Post
I don't like the large upper either I do like that shortened feed, you said would still manage 11 rounds right? It looks sleek like that.

Besides if a simple mod is wanted all that's needed is some effort on our end. A feed gate can easily be attached and the flaps used to hold a tube in place. I wasn't too hot on the original duckbox... Liked the concept, not the first draft. But hey community project like CJ said

Edit: I'm still hot for the tacticool/tactisilly mockup
the one in the other post with the short feed and feedgate held 11. you can use whatever length you want though ( longer than shown).

it will work with either method. The cram and jam bushing may be an optional item.

tactisilly kit is still on the table lol. The only wierd/slightly difficult part is the raincover.
My Feedback

mcarterbrown.com » Paintball » The Armory » Dukie