mcarterbrown.com

Old 08-28-2013, 07:26 AM   #1 (permalink)
BAZINGA PUNK!!!

Send a message via Yahoo to [MOOSE]

Brass N Wood Fan
Real steel adaptability

How close is a real steel shotgun pump handle to the dsg pump handle? Also how hard would it be to fit one. I know PistolRogue did one on his. There wasn't a whole lot of before pics of the real steel pump handle before he hacked it up. Thanks guys!
Long distance member of: Team Long Stroke (It's like a long distance relationship only better)
[MOOSE] is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 08:59 AM   #2 (permalink)
Official LL5 Dolphin-Dive

Send a message via AIM to PistolRogue

You have to really mutilate the original pump handle more than you have to modify the real steel one. It needs to be turned down where most of it is less than 1/8" wall thickness, except where the arms mount. And a V3 handle would be hard to turn because of the slot milled for the feed follower screw to pass through. Original Gen 1 handles would be a better option. THEN you have to hog out the inside of the real steel handle to fit, and notch the bottom to clear the lower pump arm.
FEEDBACK

Last edited by PistolRogue; 08-28-2013 at 09:04 AM.
PistolRogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 08:16 PM   #3 (permalink)
BAZINGA PUNK!!!

Brass N Wood Fan
Dang..... I was hoping there was a better way to do it. I'm guessing the real steel one is way too big that's the reason for using the stock DSG handle? I just don't want to get in over my head on this one. Would it be better to just make a new filler pump out of some delrin? The only lathe I have access to is really old and I would have to do everything by hand.
Long distance member of: Team Long Stroke (It's like a long distance relationship only better)
Old 08-28-2013, 09:35 PM   #4 (permalink)
BAZINGA PUNK!!!

Brass N Wood Fan
Hey PistolRogue. I found a 20 gauge version of the pump handle I want. Would that work better or be easier to work with? Or would it not work at all? I don't know much about firearms let alone shotguns.
Old 08-29-2013, 02:46 AM   #5 (permalink)

Well I can't really help with the 20 ga thing... In my mind it makes sense that the internal bore would be smaller than a 12 ga handle but I can't guarantee that. Also. You'd need to figure out how to mount the pump arms to it.

The reason I did mine the way I did was because at the time it was the best way to keep a Delrin surface against the feed tube for smooth pumping, and to cleanly hide the pump arm attachment points. I'm sure given enough thought and skill someone can do it much better than I did but that will be up to someone else to carry the torch on. Making your own Delrin inner would work but without at least a lathe it will be pretty labor intensive.
FEEDBACK
Old 08-29-2013, 02:49 AM   #6 (permalink)

Alternatively, you could just get a big wood dowel and make your own pump handle from scratch, probably easier to work with than Delrin if you can't use a lathe.
FEEDBACK
Old 08-29-2013, 09:36 AM   #7 (permalink)
BAZINGA PUNK!!!

Brass N Wood Fan
I've got access to a lathe it's just old and it's all manual. My buddy is checking at his job on the 20g thing for me. Once I start this project I'll stay a thread on here for it. I've got a few ideas rolling around.
Old 08-29-2013, 12:03 PM   #8 (permalink)

Normally old and manual means "good and reliable" from my (limited) experience with machinery. It's them there fancy whatsamajiggit computery-thingies you've got to watch out for!
FEEDBACK
Old 08-29-2013, 02:33 PM   #9 (permalink)
BAZINGA PUNK!!!

Brass N Wood Fan
It's so old it has a leather belt drive. I'm sure I can use it I just need some practice with it.
Old 08-29-2013, 02:44 PM   #10 (permalink)
Slowly making progress

Ty's lathe uses a leather belt. At least it had one originally, I'm sure there are rubber ones available for them now. I'm on the fence right now about getting an older lathe and doing fun stuff now, or waiting a few months and getting a slightly more modern one. Don't doubt manual machines, things got made just fine on them before CNC's came about.

>>> Link to prototype Dust Devil<<<

DT1 Dust Devil want list. Click me!
Quote:
Originally Posted by neftaly View Post
New advertising tagline: "Simon Stevens said that will be totally fine and nothing bad could ever happen. Ever."
Feedback
desertT1 is offline   Reply With Quote

mcarterbrown.com » Paintball » The Armory » Dukie