mcarterbrown.com

View Poll Results: not yet
standard loop lever as shown 9 33.33%
large loop lever (added cost) 11 40.74%
don't care one way or the other 7 25.93%
- 0 0%
Voters: 27. You may not vote on this poll

Old 03-18-2014, 10:08 AM   #1 (permalink)
more gooder

Fan of EMR
CCM Fan
Lever action phantom discussion

BREAK OUT YOUR PIGGY BANK, ITS GO TIME!

the order thread is up:

Phantom Lever Kit - MOD approved

Lets move the discussion of the physicals in here to keep the other thread tidy.

A couple of things have been asked and batted around.

1. the lever as I have modeled it ( 1873 standard winchester) -OR- a large loop carbine lever.

The standard loop fits within the pricing structure I have already set up ( without actually building the prototype yet). The large loop will add cost due to the fact that I will at the very least need to make a set of jaws to hold them on the flip side. They just won't machine properly with a small point of contact on one side of the lever.

an optional lever will add cost regardless as I have to design them, set up additional programs, and buy 2 sizes of material.

I'm fine with that so long as the ones looking for the large loop absorb the extra costs involved.

Other options:

Buy a winchester lever to your liking and modify it on your own to work. I modeled the one that I am making from a picture with a measuring tape across it. It will not be exactly the same as a factory lever. It should be pretty close.

buy a mechanical functioning replica with the lever you like. I found some on amazon for $50 with a standard lever. I foudn some on ebay with the large loop for $110. These are both non firing prop guns, but they contain a funcional action. The levers are made of metal ( of some sort) and as an added bonus they come with wooden stocks and forearms that you could adapt to use if you so chose. Its not going to be life threatening if the lever is made of pot metal in this situation. Its only moving a little sled back and forth in a paintball marker, not resisting the power of a .45 cal bullet.

Have a custom lever made to whatever you want. You are going to have to pay for it. I can do it, but there are companies out there that can make real steal loops in whatever configuration you want.

Stocks

This is currently designed to be a DIY inlet into the stock of your choice. It just has the winchester format / angle so that it could be "winchesterized".

If you need a slightly different angle on the lever you can change it a bit by making new links. I am thinking about using coat hanger wire for the links. Its cheap, everyone has at least one kicking around the house and it can be worked with hand tools that you are more than likely going to have or can get at the dollar store.

as another option you could in theory "winchesterize" it by purchasing one of the funtional prop guns above and combining the lever action, your phantom and the stocks from that. Thats up to you.

I'll offer them raw ( machined finish), raw ( dust finish), or dust black.

Height:

Lechooch asked if I could shrink down the overall height. Not so much, I tried. If I shrink it down I loose the stroke I need to make it work. If it was a side cocker I could probably do something. Since its a phantom and an undercocking system I need to clear the sear, and still maintain enough leverage on the lever to make a full stroke. All the while keeping it underneath the body and "frame"

EDIT: 1 shaved it down 1/4" in overall height.
My Feedback
first strike pez dispensers in stock - pm me!

Last edited by dukie; 03-23-2014 at 06:59 PM.
dukie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2014, 10:12 AM   #2 (permalink)
more gooder

Fan of EMR
CCM Fan
Quote:
Originally Posted by dundadun View Post
thoughts on Stuff that would make me more willing to buy

Winchester large loop levers are $80, at best, if you buy multiples. Can I suggest you offer a large loop? Reg winchester small loop levers are much cheaper and easier to find, but there are a couple different models that do not fit all guns. There is also the Henry lever which has a large-ish loop(without being the giant D that Winchester uses) and like $40-50.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dukie View Post
1. I don't need to make jaws to hold a parralel sided lever.
2. I will definately need to make jaws to hold a large loop lever.
3. 2 different levers would require at a minimum 2 additional setups and programs.

All of that adds up to additional cost.

You wouldnt need a specific model to make it work, its going to need tweaking to make any lever but mine work. At least you would have the correct format.

There is also the option of buying yourself a mechanically functional replica and stealing things like the lever, stock and forearm to make what you want. Cheapest I found was 50 on amazon.
copied over for discussion
My Feedback
Old 03-18-2014, 10:15 AM   #3 (permalink)
more gooder

Fan of EMR
CCM Fan
Quote:
the lever kit would be compatible with the magwell kit. Its a vertical magwell, just pushed forward in front of the grip frame instead of in it.

It might work with a revolution, but I have never taken one apart to see say for sure. It all depends where and how the pump rod goes through. If its similar to a normal phantom then probably yes.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tiny View Post
lever action phantom kit!!!!!!

Will you be designing these to fit a specific type of readily available stock or will we have to inlet our own to fit?
Quote:

Inlet your own to fit.

I highly doubt you would even find anything to will bolt right on. It would have to match up in too many dimensions that just aren't there in real steel. Unless you plan to use an elephant gun stock

not to mention that everyone would want a different stock.
copied over
My Feedback
Old 03-18-2014, 02:48 PM   #4 (permalink)
MCB Member

Large loop would be my vote. All the guys with Sheridan levers say go with the big loops from what I remember reading.
Old 03-18-2014, 03:41 PM   #5 (permalink)
MCB Member

AKA Fan
Would these be comaptible with the Phoenix double barrel phantom kits? They use the standard phantom cocking arm but the bolts are inaccessible from the bottom. Other than that they take standard phantom trigger assemblies as well.

edit: Also, could you offer a bobbed valve with a 1/8 NPT on the bottom for those of us wanting to setup air in stocks? Something similar to the valve body you offered with the DSP is what I'm thinking.

New PB Nation Feedback
Old PBNation Feedback
Tdotballers Feedback
MCB Feedback

Quote:
Originally Posted by DPrekel View Post
Hey - we are not "Nation"

Last edited by tiny; 03-18-2014 at 03:47 PM.
tiny is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2014, 04:06 PM   #6 (permalink)
MCB Member

Duckie,

Is this going to be similar to my phantom lever. The stock was blank from Boyd stocks. Large loop henry lever. RAP4 spring feed

The bolt was tapped for the lever arm.

Pics of my O'lane phantom lever

Teimusan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2014, 04:19 PM   #7 (permalink)
Shop Smart,Shop S-Mart

doc Zox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2014, 04:29 PM   #8 (permalink)
MCB Member

that does look cool
Teimusan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2014, 05:01 PM   #9 (permalink)
MCB Member

I'd also like to figure how to make the air source look clean. Thinking the bobbed valve to a threaded fitting would be best. Air in grip stocks would be cool and relatively easy to do it yourself.
Old 03-18-2014, 05:24 PM   #10 (permalink)
more gooder

Fan of EMR
CCM Fan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slappadapink View Post
Large loop would be my vote. All the guys with Sheridan levers say go with the big loops from what I remember reading.
Ill set up the vote options later

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiny View Post
Would these be comaptible with the Phoenix double barrel phantom kits? They use the standard phantom cocking arm but the bolts are inaccessible from the bottom. Other than that they take standard phantom trigger assemblies as well.

edit: Also, could you offer a bobbed valve with a 1/8 NPT on the bottom for those of us wanting to setup air in stocks? Something similar to the valve body you offered with the DSP is what I'm thinking.
I highly doubt it. They would have had to do something different to connect the bolts together. I could be wrong though.

I can make you a bottom tapped valve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teimusan View Post
Duckie,

Is this going to be similar to my phantom lever. The stock was blank from Boyd stocks. Large loop henry lever. RAP4 spring feed

The bolt was tapped for the lever arm.

Pics of my O'lane phantom lever

http://i1141.photobucket.com/albums/...2/DSC01397.jpg

http://i1141.photobucket.com/albums/...2/DSC01401.jpg
That's hot.

Same sort of idea except the lever arm is on the inside, and it is used with an unmodified bolt and body.
My Feedback

mcarterbrown.com » Paintball » The Armory » Dukie