-   Dye (
-   -   New to DYE UL Barrels (

PeterZ 01-29-2012 11:52 AM

New to DYE UL Barrels
Hi all...

I have been noticing Dye ultralite barrels for quite some time now. Ive also noticed the extremely high price tag! :roll eyes:

I subscribe to the belief that you get what you pay for. I have no qualms with spending if it will benefit my game play. Can someone explain why Dye barrels are so good? If I do pick up a set of backs, I was thinking of running the backs with the Deadly Wind CF tips.

LEt me know what you guys think as super Dye enthusiasts.

nerdcore 01-29-2012 12:50 PM

Love dye, mostly for the matrix, although i loved that before dye got their hands on it.

But barrels... meh. They're good for sure, but i'd never buy one separately. Proto barrels are just as good. Heck, CP barrels are just as good. And if you were already thinking DeadlyWind, just get the Fibur (uses freak inserts, which i recommend you purchase separate from the Fibur itself, cuz you can find the inserts cheaper).

PeterZ 01-29-2012 07:57 PM

Right on... I've got the fibur barrels already which I think work pretty damn well. I get the feeling you are saying that it's really just hype surrounding dye barrels in general. I will say that I've had a lot of barrels but something like the j and I ceramic when fitted with techts Ifit kit is phenomenal. I suppose you don't need to spend a whole lot on barrels to get great results.

Has anyone heard technical reasons to support why one would buy the Dye set?

Gunhero5 02-01-2012 03:30 AM

The boombox?

Barrels have caught up to speed, most will perform equally impressive, though Dye has been doing it a lot longer.

A lot of my rare cockers, AKA's, and vintage matrices came stock with Dye UL's in matching ano/splash. So most of the time it was the company that chose Dye barrels for their guns instead of the buyer choosing a Dye barrel after the fact.
These small companies did good choosing Dye barrels imo. I love them.

Dr. PhunkyPants 02-02-2012 10:41 AM

Let me help here.

Dye UL barrels have come standard on DM markers since the DM4 and the stock back has a .688 bore. Generally, these are nicely made and will shoot pretty consistently, one to another. I particularly like the way the lip on the back is nicely rounded and polished. Paint being pushed into the barrel by the bolt almost never breaks, in my experience. I also find the profile of the UL tip to be very natural for sighting and point of aim.

Proto 2-piece barrels are also made by Dye, but tend to have less fancy milling, shorter overall length (12 versus 14), and I also think there's less attention paid to that rear barrel lip.

I would say you cannot go wrong with these barrels IF (big IF) you don't mind a fixed bore. With some paints getting down to .675 or smaller, that .688 back is going to have your paint flying everywhere...

As for the more expensive Carbon Fiber barrels. I'm disappointed in Dye. For one thing, they're absurdly overpriced. Also, reviews here and elsewhere have demonstrated shortcomings in both Quality Control and core design. I wouldn't shoot one if you gave it to me. Also, it has the Proto barrel tip, which I find unappealing.

So in a world where you have lots of choices, it makes more sense to spend $90 on a Deadly Wind Fibur barrel and another $70 on two nice TyMcNeer brass freak inserts or maybe three stainless freak inserts. Doing that you get:

1. Better paint to barrel match, thus more accuracy, thus more kills
2. Quality that is equal or better to Dye's best

Then again, if you already have a UL barrel and your field paint works with, there's no reason to change. Just my $0.02.

SharkJP 05-15-2012 07:48 PM

Dr. PP

Great post...thanks for the informative read!