mcarterbrown.com  

Old 03-09-2012, 04:34 PM   #1 (permalink)
This is Madness!

CCM Fan
MCB's favorite DYE marker?

Well, I think I've finally broken down... I haven't played paintball in months, and buying fever is setting in now that the weather is getting warm and sunny... so I've got a question for you all.

I'm looking into a space dildo (not my usual style at all, but I think I'll still manage to make it goofy enough to be unusual...) for a light, compact, quiet, agile marker... I had a DM5 way back in the day, and I loved it, but it was pretty bulky. some of the more recent iterations of the DM/PM series are a lot more sleek (sleeker?) and I'm a fan of how quiet and smooth the spoolies are... but I have absolutely no experience with them past owning that M5 for a couple weeks and playing with it one day (going through about two cases more than usual) so I ask you, MCB...

What's your favorite DM/PM or other Dye marker? I love the looks of the NT, but I haven't heard anything about it... I've also always been a fan of the 'Canary in a Coal Mine' PM8 color scheme and body styling... Any suggestions? Budget isn't a huge issue as this will probably be a post summer-internship purchase, but I'd rather buy used and a couple years old (yay depreciation) to save some $.

TL; DR: I want a Dye spoolie. Which one do you guys like best?

Quote:
Originally Posted by russc View Post
I love how DMW douches want so badly to justify their douchocity! I remain steadfast in my position of counterdouche douchebaggery.
Quote:
Originally Posted by d4rksabre View Post
It's cool, no one can resist playing with an eightball. They're pretty much the best toy/decision making device/CEO of General Motors, ever.
Quote:
Originally Posted by GunRaptor
FEAR NOT, FAIR WOMEN, FOR THOU ART SWAG AS F***!
thisissparta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012, 04:37 PM   #2 (permalink)
Team Long Stroke

Fan of EMR
Reflex sniper with an SC feed and 12 gram changer in the VASA.

I had a DM4 that I got pretty cheap, shot really smooth. Haven't tried the newest ones yet so I can't attest for those
Kinda scary how someone in a bright red hawaiian shirt can sneak up behind you like that, huh.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MCB CHAT
[20:54:32] <Walking_Target> Kinda awesome, you walk in and there's the giant black dildo right in front of the register
[20:54:33] <thisissparta> it's AWESOME.
My Budding Feedback
MCB
LilShank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012, 04:42 PM   #3 (permalink)
Post Whore

DM8 is my fav and are great markers
ilivlife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012, 04:45 PM   #4 (permalink)
Handgoon

Brass N Wood Fan
the dye marker that is spelled "C" "C" "I"

MY FEEDBACK
skullcandy1993 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012, 04:57 PM   #5 (permalink)
This is Madness!

CCM Fan
Quote:
Originally Posted by LilShank View Post
Reflex sniper with an SC feed and 12 gram changer in the VASA.

I had a DM4 that I got pretty cheap, shot really smooth. Haven't tried the newest ones yet so I can't attest for those
Haha, I had a Reflex body once... I just didn't want to deal with having to tune it. Traded it for a Nelspot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by skullcandy1993 View Post
the dye marker that is spelled "C" "C" "I"

I have one of those already...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilivlife View Post
DM8 is my fav and are great markers
Any particular reasoning?

Quote:
I love how DMW douches want so badly to justify their douchocity! I remain steadfast in my position of counterdouche douchebaggery.
Quote:
It's cool, no one can resist playing with an eightball. They're pretty much the best toy/decision making device/CEO of General Motors, ever.
Quote:
Old 03-09-2012, 05:52 PM   #6 (permalink)
Radical!

NT is over-priced, imo. Why Dye thought they could pass that as a high end along with ther matrix line is beyond me. If you've heard of the new Reflex Rail, an NT is basically that but operates at a lower pressure and uses bolt kit inserts to either increase shot count, increase smoothness, or balance the two. But not. Worth. It.

Also imo, the DM5 was the last of the great matrixes. Newest ones have fancy features, but making them smaller & sleeker seems to have taken away some of their charm. More to the point, i think the weight helped keep them recoil-free and super quiet. Slap a UL frame on a DM4/5/C, hot stuff. I miss mine. PM series gives you the same performance but with the main downside of having eye ribbons instead of eye wires. Not that it matters if you don't take the gun apart often. Again, slap on a UL frame (unless it's already installed, or comes with one stock like the PM8), hot stuff.

If you don't like the bulk, get a DM9 or later. That's when all the significant changes came to fruition.

I rock a PM5 w/ stock frame right now, sold a DM7 that gave me nothing but problems, been very happy with that decision.
nerdcore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012, 06:16 PM   #7 (permalink)
This is Madness!

CCM Fan
eye ribbons? like just a flat cable like this:
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...hbandkabel.jpg

obviously thinner and smaller, but same principle? Why are they less reliable (assumption again as you said it shouldn't matter as long as you leave the gun together...)

So you recommend either a DM5 (for that solid feel), a PM8 (for the lighter weight but the feel of the UL frame), or a DM9 (for the light weight and fancy features) - or at least that's what I'm getting from your post.

Sorry for all the questions, electros aren't usually my cup o' tea... I want to give them another try though.

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Old 03-09-2012, 06:21 PM   #8 (permalink)
SPPL/UWL Veteran

I've been liking the look of the 2011 Rail. I loved the ergonomics of the SLG, but the sear wasn't reliable with low batteries. The 2011 rail seems to be essentially the same ergonomics, tiny and light, but entirely pneumatic. Runs at 150 psi, so should be about as smooth and quiet as the other DM/PMs. Based on the older rail series internally, so they've had plenty of years to get the kinks worked out. You get a Hyper3 reg, eye pipe, and UL frame.

And you can pick them up for $250 new at ANS.

Lo
Lomarandil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012, 06:36 PM   #9 (permalink)
No Effects, just cooler

I'd also suggest DM9. It's been my main electro for a couple seasons now. First year Dye got rid of the flow plug at the front of the marker. Feels really nice compared to the 8 and earlier models. The 9 is also shorter front to back than the older models, due to the shorter bolt design. If you were looking for an older one, I'd suggest the DM6. I'm slightly bias to that year though, as it was my first Matrix.

Ryan Dupras
-Dealings Feedback-
Proudly Playing For:
Wookie Dicks
Lucha Cabras
nofxkid2005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012, 07:32 PM   #10 (permalink)
Radical!

Quote:
Originally Posted by thisissparta View Post
eye ribbons? like just a flat cable like this:
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...hbandkabel.jpg

obviously thinner and smaller, but same principle? Why are they less reliable (assumption again as you said it shouldn't matter as long as you leave the gun together...)

So you recommend either a DM5 (for that solid feel), a PM8 (for the lighter weight but the feel of the UL frame), or a DM9 (for the light weight and fancy features) - or at least that's what I'm getting from your post.

Sorry for all the questions, electros aren't usually my cup o' tea... I want to give them another try though.
Eye ribbon is just a bear to deal with, i'm always worried i'm gonna pinch em, break em, rip em, etc. They're probably more durable than i give them credit, but wires just seem more robust. But wires have their downsides, too, like snapping off their soldered joints, or ripping out of their plugs, etc. I guess both can make one equally anxious. Ugh, why do i like electros...

Didn't think of it that way but that's... that's spot on. PM8 also gets a bonus for being cheaper than its DM counterpart.
nerdcore is offline   Reply With Quote

mcarterbrown.com » Paintball » The Armory » Dye