mcarterbrown.com

mcarterbrown.com (http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/)
-   Dye (http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/dye/)
-   -   D.A.M. upgrades, rumors, design ideas, etc (http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/dye/228541-d-m-upgrades-rumors-design-ideas-etc.html)

jmeier 03-11-2013 04:03 PM

D.A.M. upgrades, rumors, design ideas, etc

I only bought my dam a few weeks ago and although i havent had any games recently i have been messing around with it a bit. Snowmen make great targets and so far the dam has operated wonderfully, i have had regular ball break issues in the mag. I believe its the last ball coming out of the mag which ive been reading occurs sometimes especially with crap paint and i admit i was using crappy paint so im not too concerned with it. Only real issue ive had is the eyes seem to be automatically switching off. I have no idea what could cause this, mag empties it keeps firing, i try reseting the eyes it still fires. I dont know weird. I will eventually figure it out just more reason to tinker with it.

Other than that i want to know if dye officially or unofficially has said anything about a high capacity box mag or something of that nature. Im a dedicated woodsball player and i hate hoppers. Any info on any potential accessories would be wonderful.

I actually have a design in mind for a box style mag but i neither have the equipment or technical proficiency to fabricate it. Granted its not fully formed, its a work in progress but the basics of it are. Use a right triangle shaped box, the right angle base of the long side being where it feeds into the magwell using a rotor and feeding tube. Now i like using the the triangle shape because it flows with the gun better and you can mold an angled grip into the box itself so its more an part of the marker which can actually be used offering more control than than the traditional box mag which can be inconvenient to reach around. Now my only issue with this design is in my mind is that because of the shape and placement of the feedneck it would put alot of pressure on the magwell and feedneck. The simple answer is attach the front end to the foregrip which would solve the stress issue but it would need to be some kind of quick release i think. In my mind i would still fun first strike out of the standard mags, i really like the design and function of them and think they are perfect for first strike, so yes i would stick with them. Another bonus of my design over traditional box mags is it would be much easier to crawl and move through brush and other thick foliage. Its shape would act as a wedge parting any obstacles in your way, also the lack of sharp angles reduces the likelihood of it getting hung up on any unfortunate protrusions.

Oh well thats about it, please feel free to criticize, comment, ask questions, or call me a hairbrained nut job. Lol and dont forget to pass along any rumors/information you may have come across.

Lol oh yeah if anybody from dye sees my idea and thinks it has merit feel free to contact me......... please oh please do! I think it would be fun to actually help develop something like this.

paintman161 03-12-2013 08:13 AM

I would give dye a call about your eyes not working, you may have a board malfunction. When you turn the marker on the eyes automatically come on. When you hold the eye button down for like 3 seconds it turns them off.

jmeier 03-12-2013 10:59 AM

Thanks for the input i will give them a call because they arent working from the moment i turn it on.

And seriously guys please make comments on my box mag idea. Any potential problems you could see coming up, i think ive worked out a simple answer for the front end support but critiques lead to improvements so all input and questions are much appreciated.

Rain-Man005 03-12-2013 12:53 PM

Unless playing strictly mag-fed (and I think box mag defeats this purpose) I don't see the need. For the cost, I'd simply run a rotor on top. I'm not saying I won't follow a build thread if you decide to make one though.....

BIGNUGLY 03-12-2013 01:01 PM

I could see Box Mags being used in "Special roles" in mag only games. i.e. If someone was running in a Squad Support role. And yes you could still use a Hopper. But the Cool factor of a Box mag for the Milsim player is undenieable.

tom 03-12-2013 01:13 PM

Come and join us at The DAM Operators Network and once you've spoken to Dye let us know what happened.

We also have Kevin Larmer on the forum so can probably get feedback from him there as well
Kevin@DYE DAM Designer - Introduce Yourself ... - The DAM Operators Network

Rain-Man005 03-12-2013 02:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BIGNUGLY (Post 2651911)
I could see Box Mags being used in "Special roles" in mag only games. i.e. If someone was running in a Squad Support role. And yes you could still use a Hopper. But the Cool factor of a Box mag for the Milsim player is undenieable.

True, good example, Bignugly. The cool factor is certainly there for them. If marketed to that crowd I could see it doing ok. The Milsim folks do love a good replica.

jmeier 03-12-2013 05:04 PM

The box mag is just more practical to me..... its more built in, lower profile. Ive seen too many people hit (me included) because someone sees their hopper sticking up or it gets caught and hung up on the brush, or my particular favorite "oh ****! My hopper just got knocked off! No ammo, im dead.......". I think a properly constructed box mag will be less of a noticeable target, sturdier, and hold more rounds. Plus hoppers are just ugly on a milsim style marker lol

jmeier 03-12-2013 05:37 PM

Update on the box mag: for the front support im thinking of using something like the weaver flip up sights to mount the mag on without using the screw to make it stay in place. Since they some rotation you can just slide it on then fold the base of the mag up into the magwell locking in place. It will provide up and down support and the magwell will keep it from sliding forward and coming loose. Should be easy to swap back and forth between the box and regular mags as well. Now i jjust need to figure out what materials to use and how to actually mold them to the shape i want.

punisher068 03-13-2013 12:59 PM

Ive had some experience with boxmags,unfortunately the DAM is out of my price range now or Id be all over it.
Curious if anyone could get a pic of how the board connects to the soleniod on the DAM,I prefer to use a RF chip on my boxmags,more foolproof than sound activation or force feedback sensor as spoolies are quiet and feedstack pressure can affect feedback sensors,though with a magfed the feedstack would be much less than using hose setups like I normally do
Heres a bracket i used on my last boxmag,should be what youre thinking of
Q Loader Feedneck Adapter - BT - Lowest price available from HustlePaintball.com
I've used prefab plexi boxes(recipe card box) for my last 2 boxmags,TAP plastic will make custom sized plex or ABS stuff for you,not cheap but good quality
heres my thread for my latest boxmag
hehttp://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/custom-projects-custom-questions/227950-axe-reg-ion-frame-work-progress.html
Feel free to PM me with any questions,Im also working on a boxmag for my Hammer 7