mcarterbrown.com  

Old 03-19-2012, 09:52 AM   #1 (permalink)

Mech guy looking at 05/06/07 egos, what to know, and look out for?

Like many on mcarterbrown I am more into mech guns but have been considering the purchase of a modern electric. I want something just for a fun toy to shoot in the backyard and tinker with a bit. I would like something that could reach at least 20 bps, and preferably up to 25 bps with a board upgrade perhaps (I have a pinokio loader to feed the gun). I also know I want a balanced poppet valve gun, thus leading me to look toward the Ego and Intimidator. Of the two I prefer the look and feel of the Ego. Now as this would be primarily just a gun to mess around with and shoot in the backyard I don’t need the newest generation and I don’t want to spend too much (much more than $300 and I would rather buy another used 2K blazer or typhoon) so that limits it to the 05, 06, and 07 ego.

So what I want to know is…..

1. As I understand it the 05 and 06 ego are fairly similar, other than appearance the only differences are the bolt seems shorter on the 06, I heard the regulator was updated on the 06 guns and the 06 guns had slightly better electronics (may not be an issue of the board ends up getting changed) Any thing else to note?

2. I have heard the 07 ego suffers from problems related to the QEV that tend to be fragile. If so when the QEV's fail how common/often does this occur and can it typically be repaired by a simple diaphragm replacement or does the entire QEV need to be replaced? And what do these QEV cost?

3. Is there anything I should look out for with these guns or any warning signs that easily indicate other major problems?

4. Given my use is it worth spending more to get an 07, or should I save my money and look more toward the 05/06 guns?
TwoLaneBlackTop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 12:07 PM   #2 (permalink)
X0317

Send a message via AIM to dm6rocker

CCM Fan
I would vote for the 07. The finicky nature of the QEV can be eliminated with one simple mod, and while reducing the max cycle speed of the marker to around 25 bps (exactly the ballpark you're looking for) it turns it into a reliable, almost maintenance free paint thrower.

Personally, I own an 11 and love it to death, but if I had to pick from your listed years I would go with the 07 without hesitation. The factory board is fine, and should get you to any speed you want up to 25bps if you eliminate the QEV. I think the 07 was also the first year that Eclipse did the offset feed, and the integrated front reg mount.

Problem wise...it's Eclipse. Their guns are built to be mostly idiot-proof. I doubt you'd have any trouble regardless of what year you go for, but sourcing parts may be a bit easier for the newer years. If anything I'd throw a Zick Kit in, and a Cure4 bolt and be done with it.

Here's a link to the No-QEV mod, if you decide to go that route.
Linky
Old 03-19-2012, 12:24 PM   #3 (permalink)
That Colorado Pump Guy

CCM Fan
07 is going to be the most reliable and lightest of all 3. I've had 4 and none of them suffered from the qev. I love the 07 because it will keep up with any mode out there as well as being super tough, awesome efficiency and virtually maintenance free. The only thing I would recommend is a new zick 2 kit and a new bolt but other than that the more you play with it the smoother it will get
colorado719 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 09:53 PM   #4 (permalink)
Give in to the Night

Location: Austin, capital of the greatest country in the world, Texas

I've owned every eclipse marker from the 07-11 ego, geo, geo+ and geo2. Eclipse products are designed to be bulletproof, and work under most conditions. If given the choice between the 05, 06 and 07, I would pick the 07 every time. The additions of the newer board type and features, deftek feed, regulator upgrades, new body styling and feel, the 07 is defiantly worth it for the money.
the QEV issues always came from idiots who would put their gun on training mode and uncapped ramping. This would blow out qevs and the kids would complain. I put close to 20 cases through my 07, never had a problem.

worth it to upgrade? yes.
Warning signs? Velocity jumping +- 20 fps, not shooting above a certain fps, chopping. That's about it. Like I said, bullet proof. I dropped my old 09 into a pool of water after slipping while diving for cover. I brought the gun out, water streaming out of the grip frame, chamber, and regulator area and tore about a hopper through the gun with no problems at all. Granted, I cleaned it immediately afterwards (on the field, because it's that easy) but it worked when I needed it.

chopper_duke: You guys just don't understand how hard it is to take pictures from a dark closet and not wake the person up...

bring me a white rotor sale
http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/m...ml#post1853123
noctem89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 02:51 PM   #5 (permalink)
Rec Poster

My first electro was an '07, NE Hurricanes Anno to be specific, and I love it. Mine had 38000 or so shots on it when I got it, and I'm probably another 2 cases past that and the original QEV is still functional. Having messed with a '05 and a '06 I would definitely recommend the '07. The features that PE included that year make it way worth it. As for a replacement board, forget about it. The stock board is fantastic provided you get one that still has most of its pixels. Not sure about the regular '07s, but mine will do 42 bps . Not that my Prophecy can keep up with that, but its still neat.
MAFitzy32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 01:05 AM   #6 (permalink)
Sorry, that's classified.

I have an '05 with a tadao board. No other ups other than a barrel kit that I prefer. Never failed. Only maintenance I've ever done is oiling the ram o-rings every other time I go out to play. Gonna say again I've never had an issue with it. I set it down to 15 bps even though my board allows higher rates of fire, I just don't need to shoot that fast (that's just me, some guys wanna shoot faster and that's perfectly fine).

Field stripping for cleaning is simple, and for an earlier post, yeah mine's got the offset feed for an '05. I think they always had that from the get go? I get decent efficiency and even lowered my dwell. If I recall I had it somewhere around 9 - 10 ms. Mostly consistent but a little better at 12 - 13.
Donut SD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2012, 08:11 PM   #7 (permalink)

Put 85 cases through an 07 ego without ever experiencing QEV problems. If they do have problems its just a matter of replacing the diaphragm, or you can do a qev bypass altogether.

"Without God and the future life? How will man be after that? It means everything is permitted now."
- Fyodor Dostoevsky

beebs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 04:24 PM   #8 (permalink)

ego

I own an '06 nexus and I've never had a single bit of problem, all I did was replace the stock board with a tadao m7 board. Haven't played for like 2 years, just gassed and played. Hope that helps also.

Also since you're going to be mostly toying with it does weight matter that much, My 06 is perfectly fine for me and I always hated weight lifting in school for the track team. just my 2 cents.

Last edited by babybond; 04-25-2012 at 04:29 PM.
babybond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 03:48 PM   #9 (permalink)
Yield and Overcome...

CCM Fan
With several 07 Ego's going for around $300 in excellent condition around here, I can't think of any reason to try the earlier models. The 07 was the first of the 'modern' Ego's and really worth looking at over the other two listed.

I shoot one of the limited edition 08's and prefer the feel over the 10's and 11's I've shot recently.

Do remember--proper fine tuning counts for a lot. Get the LPR set right and make a few little adjustments to the stock settings if you want to get it sweet as honey...
Dr. PhunkyPants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 04:11 PM   #10 (permalink)
A pretty good guy

The 07 gets my vote
karni-collector is offline   Reply With Quote

mcarterbrown.com » Paintball » The Armory » Eclipse