mcarterbrown.com

Old 06-13-2012, 02:00 PM   #1 (permalink)

Didn't expect this: dwell

Was trying to find where the dwell leveled of in velocity on my ego8. Chronoed it at 280-290 with the lpr flush. For kicks and giggles I put it on 3ms and much to my suprise did it match the velocity at the stock 12.5ms, only now it fired with high pitch crack. It sounded like a rimfire firearm. A spectator commented that it sounded like a real machine gun. going up to 5ms it did the expected roll outs with sub 200's coming in around 9ms continuing to climb.

What puzzles me is how velocity would start high at that low of a dwell, then go down and come back up....Ideas?
pummel u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012, 03:22 PM   #2 (permalink)
MCB Member

Leave it at 3ms and terrify all that oppose you? For ****s and giggles did you see if it changed the efficiency at all and did rapid fire cause it to stop shooting at 280+fps?

That is quite odd, when I set the dwell on my Etek down to 4ms it doesn't even operate long enough to cycle the bolt fully and open the valve. I use it as a quasi training mode for messing with the trigger settings when I am bored. I know an Ego is different with QEV's and whatnot but still that is kind of strange. I have to talk to someone that might know about this stuff later, I will see what he has to say.
Finished before you can commit a crime
DarkNinja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012, 04:43 PM   #3 (permalink)

Well consistanties seemed to spread a bit more. I was using a .680 insert. I saved a tank and 600rnd to play with the dwell and lpr; i didnt shoot the tank on 3ms. This marker is new to me, thus I have to find its limitations lol.

I put it back on 12ms, played with a few lower, then stuck it back to 3ms to see if it was a fluke incident. it was not. I replicated it a second time; unsettled me actually.
Old 07-30-2012, 10:02 PM   #4 (permalink)
Delta Ops

Fan of EMR
CCM Fan
You realize when you are putting the dwell that low, it is making the firing cycle extremely violent for the marker? The dwell sets how long it takes your marker to release the set amount of air. When you put the dwell lower, it will get you better efficiency but less smoothness and it shreds orings and other parts faster. On the flipside, higher dwell will make your marker smoother with less wear and tear.

Quote from a guy on pbnation:

Quote:
Originally Posted by piggman2
Higher dwell= smoother shot= less efficient. Too high and you just waste air.

Lower dwell = harder shooting marker= more efficient. Being that you'll need to raise hpr pressure so more air will pass the valve in the reduced dwell time to allow for desired velocity.

After being broken in you can reduce dwell and still have a smooth shot, I've gone as low as 7.0 with no shoot down but out of fear of crushing the reg seat prematurely I've just left the dwell at 12.5. It still gives me plenty of air with a 68/45.

At 3 ms, I can only imagine what you're doing to your marker D:
Main Guns:
Vicious EGO9 Green/Gloss Purple
Evil Minion 7
2k5 Dark Timmy Black/Red Fade

PbN: Pbkidminion
minion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 10:17 PM   #5 (permalink)
Banned

AKA Fan
Quote:
Originally Posted by minion View Post
You realize when you are putting the dwell that low, it is making the firing cycle extremely violent for the marker? The dwell sets how long it takes your marker to release the set amount of air. When you put the dwell lower, it will get you better efficiency but less smoothness and it shreds orings and other parts faster. On the flipside, higher dwell will make your marker smoother with less wear and tear.

Quote from a guy on pbnation:

At 3 ms, I can only imagine what you're doing to your marker D:

This guy's comment is missing about half the relevant data.

I'm more apt to guess that you've got a board with a cheater mode of somekind, or maybe your solenoid is locking open. Can you get the same crack at 15ms?
alpha434 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 05:11 PM   #6 (permalink)

I didnt go above 12.5ms. The board is an eclipse, i dont know the possibility of the board being uploaded with something. The noid seems to have konked out as stated in a latter post so maybe it was going out the door.... I have yet to decide whether to buy a noid and install or whether to send it to PE in case they catch something i missed along with the suspected noid.
Old 09-15-2012, 11:33 PM   #7 (permalink)
Random Lurker

The coil on the solenoid is bad. If the gun still fires with a 3 ms dwell it means that the coil is no longer responding correctly to the signals from the board. It would be a good time to check/ replace your orings on your rammer too. Esp the bumper oring.
wizard12341 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 04:31 AM   #8 (permalink)
Rec Poster

The programming on the EGO8 dwell resets at 3ms. I wouldnt go below 12.5 or you could suffer paint breakage.

Used gun thread: http://www.pbnation.com/showthread.php?t=2689910
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote

mcarterbrown.com » Paintball » The Armory » Eclipse