mcarterbrown.com  

Old 03-25-2013, 11:35 PM   #1 (permalink)
Barned

How to make an etek4 quieter?

So with the recent purchase of an etek 4 I've had lots of fun, but after comparing it to other markers I noticed even with the zick kit it kicks like a mule. I'd like to tune it, but I don't know how because I'm a dummy who's only ever taken out the bolt to oil it. Does anyone have any tips or tricks on how to make this cannon shoot quieter and maybe have a little less recoil? I know you can get a hush bolt but I'm also looking at other things. If it doesn't take up too much of your time, please explain it to me like I'm a 5 year old because I have little to no knowledge of internal adjustment terms, ect.
I see an agglet and I want to paint it black...
...or yellow, orange, green; whatever the field paint is that day.
Bloop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 12:13 AM   #2 (permalink)
The Panda with a Gun

CCM Fan
1.from stock lpr setting, lower the lpr by 2 turns in

2.chrono your marker; personally i would start with a higher dwell such as 13,

3.with the decreased lpr and increased dwell chrono your marker again and take note of your range of fps.

4. turn down your dwell by 1 until u notice your fps drops about 10 fps, then increase it back by .5 (personally i go back up 1 more but thats up to you)

above is a tuning method for the smoothest shot while trying to maintain efficiency. if anything u can send you bolt to pooty and add orings on the bolt to dampen the noise. I hear the techt bolt is good for noise reduction or atleast getting rid of the crack in the sound. and also use a barrel with a smaller bore size, the .693 is way to big now adays unless ur shooting bigger paint like valken

hope this helps..i do this to all my egos (same principle applies to the etek)
Old 03-26-2013, 01:49 AM   #3 (permalink)
Barned

I'm using my empire sniper barrel to help match paint, so thats all covered. What exactly is dwell and how does it affect my marker?

What if I'm not an efficiency freak? Is there other things I can do or should I just follow that method in general? Also, how noticeable was the difference in peformance?

Thanks, Bloop_
Old 03-26-2013, 02:36 AM   #4 (permalink)
The Panda with a Gun

CCM Fan
if your dwell is too high then ur using more air than needed to propel the ball at fps, which can make it louder, if ur dwell is set to low then your compensating with higher pressure which can also make it louder.

i experimented this with my old sl74. Stock dwell was 15 and it chrono'd just fine but it was way louder then my old 08 ego. I turned the dwell down to 12.5 and it was pretty much on par.

and the method was mainly for smoothness while not loosing efficiency. You can however set the lpr like i said and start with stock dwell and increase until your fps doesnt not climb any higher.

really the method will make the marker more bearable to put up with.

I had a friend with an etek 3 that shot very simliar to a ego 10 stock and no broken in but it had a cure 3 that was modded by pooty and a zick 2. He also took a bag of paint to tune it to his liking.
Old 04-01-2013, 12:27 AM   #5 (permalink)

CCM Fan
To be honest by a lot of people if you want a quite and less recoil marker you pick the wrong marker. Poppets will always be louder and a bit more recoil. You may be able to dampen it a slight hair, but you'll change the sound signature more than the actully loudness of the gun. If you want a quite gun with minimal kick. I wouldov went with a spool. Pick any gun that has sort of a poppet vavle style it will always have a crack sound with it. Just wanted to throw that bit of info out.

Quote:
Mike Casady: "I believe that stock class showcases the skill of the player and structures the play to a more sportsmanlike game."
Crashkt90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 03:34 PM   #6 (permalink)
Barned

I know poppits are usually louder, but I also know it is possible to dampen them like you said, which I did and it did dampen the sound.
Old 04-01-2013, 04:24 PM   #7 (permalink)

CCM Fan
Also it depends on what barrel you use as well.

Quote:
Mike Casady: "I believe that stock class showcases the skill of the player and structures the play to a more sportsmanlike game."
Crashkt90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 04:38 PM   #8 (permalink)
Barned

Yeah, right now I'm using my empire sniper barrel but I'm hoping to upgrade to a deadlywind + freak kit eventually.
Old 11-19-2013, 05:11 PM   #9 (permalink)
Rec Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by someasianballer View Post
1.from stock lpr setting, lower the lpr by 2 turns in

2.chrono your marker; personally i would start with a higher dwell such as 13,

3.with the decreased lpr and increased dwell chrono your marker again and take note of your range of fps.

4. turn down your dwell by 1 until u notice your fps drops about 10 fps, then increase it back by .5 (personally i go back up 1 more but thats up to you)

above is a tuning method for the smoothest shot while trying to maintain efficiency. if anything u can send you bolt to pooty and add orings on the bolt to dampen the noise. I hear the techt bolt is good for noise reduction or atleast getting rid of the crack in the sound. and also use a barrel with a smaller bore size, the .693 is way to big now adays unless ur shooting bigger paint like valken

hope this helps..i do this to all my egos (same principle applies to the etek)
1. Stock LPR for the Etek4 is 2 turns in from flush. So 2 more turns in (4 turns in from flush?) Its the SL Piston. While 2 more turns in from stock does make it a lot smoother, I'm afraid it might damage the piston.

2. Stock Dwell for the Etek4 is 14.5ms. Can I just start from there?
s9ac3r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2013, 09:14 PM   #10 (permalink)
The Panda with a Gun

CCM Fan
Quote:
Originally Posted by s9ac3r View Post
1. Stock LPR for the Etek4 is 2 turns in from flush. So 2 more turns in (4 turns in from flush?) Its the SL Piston. While 2 more turns in from stock does make it a lot smoother, I'm afraid it might damage the piston.

2. Stock Dwell for the Etek4 is 14.5ms. Can I just start from there?
Necro post

But yes.

U can then ur lpr in more but if it get inconsistent over the chrono then u need to adjust it back out some. Then it in more for less kick but don't risk consistency

Also a smaller bore barrel

mcarterbrown.com » Paintball » The Armory » Eclipse