mcarterbrown.com  

Empire Mini - Axe - Empire Sniper

Old 02-16-2011, 06:32 PM   #1 (permalink)
Man vs Tank

No Click on Poppet, Leak through Barrel.

Good Day Everyone, I am looking for some help on my problem as listed in the subject. I will try and give as much information as I can so as to (hopefully) eliminate suggestions that I have already tried.

Okay so, I have an older mini which was stock up until a few weeks ago and I just finished another round of upgrades (most of which was bought from BPP, an excellent, excellent person to deal with. Top Notch) and will only list those which would have a bearing on this fault, so here goes:

V1.2 Optimus Mainboard (stock)
Virtue Red Eyes (just replaced stock eyes)
Newest version Poppet (longer nylon face w/ spring)
Empire Relay On/Off Regulator
CP Trigger

Anyways, I replaced the trigger first around Christmas but I can't remember if my Solenoid was clicking after I had replaced it; then I replaced the Regulator followed by the Poppet (after reading one of the other threads here saying you should have the newest for safety reasons). At the same time I replaced the poppet I threw in the eyes (mainly just for laughs/personal reasons).

After replacing the eyes I tested with fresh Energizer 9v's and did not have a Solenoid click. I researched on the "other" site and performed a complete tear down and cleaning of the entire gun, including a manual reset of the solenoid and poppet (screwed in full). The eyes are functioning as far as I can tell and the trigger is registering as my LED changes to red and back to green on each trigger pull. It aired up once with no leaks but would not "fire" the solenoid. I tore down the solenoid again and ensured it was sitting in the correct position, rebuilt it and assembled the gun. To be sure it was in the proper position I tapped the gun in an up and down motion and heard the slug seat itself at the bottom of the solenoid, which I reversed by inserting a rod in the bottom and resetting the slug in the sweet spot. Upon power on I still had no solenoid click and the slug bottomed out (No air, eyes off, Solenoid connector is correct into sensor board) as well, air leaked out the barrel.

I have not aired the gun up again after I reset the poppet since I only have about 100psi left in my tank (the only thing that sucks about 13ci; the limited troubleshooting capacity) so it may not leak but the solenoid is still an issue. The only other occurrence I had was on my initial power on after installing the new eyes my 9v was warm to the touch, so it may have caused damage to some of the electronics. I don't have a pin out or circuit diagram so can't meter anything with any certainty.

I am going to go and try the stock eyes and see if that changes the situation and will post back shortly. If anyone has any other ideas or information it would be much appreciated. I do not have another solenoid to test with but if someone knows the operating voltage for it I have a DC generator and can perform isolated switching, I will also be ensuring the black "caps" on the slug are fully seated on my next teardown.

Sorry for the long post.

Cheers,
Adam
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stilgar View Post
Small dogs are snacks
Cruickid's Feedback (MCB)

Cruickid's WTB
Cruickid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2011, 07:35 PM   #2 (permalink)
Man vs Tank

Alright so, tore out the Virtue eyes and put the stock ones in...

No air leaks and the solenoid works like a charm.

Does anyone know if there are compatibility issues between older mainboards and the Virtue eyes or should I suspect the Virtue eyes board being faulty? Did a google search and came up empty.
Quote:
Small dogs are snacks

Cruickid's WTB

Last edited by Cruickid; 02-17-2011 at 08:52 AM.
Old 02-16-2011, 09:01 PM   #3 (permalink)

Had the same problem with the virtue eyes with the trigger not functioning properly and connecting with the solenoid. Changed back to the stock eyes, and it was all working properly again.
redman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2011, 08:50 AM   #4 (permalink)
Man vs Tank

Yeah, I just want to verify the Virtue board is okay and don't have a schematic for it, or pin out. I will be emailing Virtue after work and just don't feel like tearing apart the mini again right now to perform a comparison with the stock board.
Quote:
Small dogs are snacks

Cruickid's WTB
Old 02-25-2011, 05:36 PM   #5 (permalink)
Seasoned Member

there has been alot of problem witht e fit of the vitrue eyes. they seem to not match right with minis. i have seen and heard alot of problem like yours. i think they dropped the ball on the mini. writing it off as a "cheap" marker. look at the bad fitting and quality of the oled board cover, and the eyes just add to it.

http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/e...ml#post2519002
crawler78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2011, 01:25 PM   #6 (permalink)
Seasoned Member

1st read this thread. http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/i...k-factory.html
2nd if air is rushing out the barrel it's the noid if it's creeping then it's a oring.
Tinman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2011, 07:24 AM   #7 (permalink)
Man vs Tank

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinman View Post
1st read this thread. http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/i...k-factory.html
2nd if air is rushing out the barrel it's the noid if it's creeping then it's a oring.
I had already read that thread, and after reading it and a few others I tore the gun apart again and found the Solenoid Slug was operating with limited movement. You can also hear this with a properly working Solenoid: When it moves properly the click was significantly louder than when it was impeded by lubricant. I cleaned it all up and re-assembled it without the Virtue eye board and it worked fine (I had posted that a little higher).

I ended up dealing with Randy at Virtue via email and that led to shipping my Eye board back to them for servicing. The marker works great right now though. I will probably be posting a picture in the Mini Picture thread this weekend before I go play on Sunday.

Woohoo outdoor field is open for business. Okay maybe not totally open, but we get special treatment
Quote:
Small dogs are snacks

Cruickid's WTB

Last edited by Cruickid; 04-01-2011 at 07:28 AM.

mcarterbrown.com » Paintball » The Armory » Empire