mcarterbrown.com  

Empire Mini - Axe - Empire Sniper

Old 04-13-2014, 10:05 PM   #1 (permalink)

Empire Sniper, The vs BOLT. TECH-T, CHeck IT and Stock bolt

I am building an inception midblock. I have no bolt in hand. I am going to get one tomorrow.

Supposedly money is not an issue, grateful to have unlimited fund for now.

If you were to get the best performing bolt for empire sniper which would you pick up?

Any experience on this bolt, and advice is greatly appreciated.

I really wanted mcarterbrown's(this forums) advise, I feel that great amount number of people in here enjoy pump guns and very knowledgeable and experienced with details and technical stuff.

Here are the three bolts I know that is available.

1. Hush bolt by techt
2. Stock bolt
3. Check it bolt

THanks again
pepsi4all is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2014, 10:23 PM   #2 (permalink)
MCB Member

They're both "Hype-Bolts".
Back when these "Venturi" style bolts were all the rage, people argued which was better. Some of the lower-cost bolts actually restricted your air flow, and you needed to increase the pressure to maintain velocity.
After much study and experimentation it was found that the value of a "Venturi" style bolt was dubious.

Have you ever seen the bolt on a Palmer's Blazer?
It's pretty simple, just a big hole, no need for "helical" inserts like the Bob Long, no star-shaped stampings like the Spyder of days of yore.

With the advent of electronically controlled 'Cockers, you just needed a very friction-free bolt, with good clearance between the wall of the breech and the bolt. This is in case you chop: shell will wedge between the bolt and the breech wall locking up your action.

In a nutshell, buy what you can afford, and don't feel bad if you a stock bolt in there. It was designed to go with the gun, and in the big scope of things, it really doesn't matter much.
Old 04-13-2014, 10:59 PM   #3 (permalink)
Henchemen Inc!

Send a message via AIM to vf-xx

The biggest argument I can see for the Checkit bolt is the lack of a front O-ring. Many people complain about the bolt hanging up on the detent.

It doesn't bother me, but I don't see what you get out of the Checkit bolt, that you can't get by just using the stock bolt without the front o-ring.
Old 04-13-2014, 11:18 PM   #4 (permalink)
Tinkerer

CCM Fan
I will say that the techt bolt has a better oring groove up front. I think they use a slightly smaller oring from stock, either way it grabbed less than stock. Does that make it a better performing bolt, no. Just a different feel. The techt had a slightly different soud signature too. I can say quieter, but it's a different pitch. The stock bolt without the front oring was just as nice. I can't weigh in on the check-it bolt.
Old 04-13-2014, 11:29 PM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dano_____ View Post
I will say that the techt bolt has a better oring groove up front. I think they use a slightly smaller oring from stock, either way it grabbed less than stock. Does that make it a better performing bolt, no. Just a different feel. The techt had a slightly different soud signature too. I can say quieter, but it's a different pitch. The stock bolt without the front oring was just as nice. I can't weigh in on the check-it bolt.
If it grab less, would that mean easier pump stroke?
This means, nicer bolt travel. Since money is not an issue, I should then get the hush bolt.
Old 04-14-2014, 09:54 AM   #6 (permalink)
Tinkerer

CCM Fan
Quote:
Originally Posted by pepsi4all View Post
If it grab less, would that mean easier pump stroke?
This means, nicer bolt travel. Since money is not an issue, I should then get the hush bolt.
I don't think you will be disappointed with the techt bolt. I wouldn't buy one for a sniper if I already had the stock bolt, but since you are essentially starting from scratch you might as well. I never noticed a difference in grab while playing an actual game. Too much blood pumping to think about or notice minor things.
Old 04-14-2014, 05:42 PM   #7 (permalink)
That's it That's all

CCM Fan
If I recall correctly the Inception Krypto bodies all take ball detents. in that case I would go for the check it as the front o-ring on the others could take a pretty serious beating. that front oring is only meant to cope with a little silicone finger passing by it.
long_bones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2014, 11:03 PM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by long_bones View Post
If I recall correctly the Inception Krypto bodies all take ball detents. in that case I would go for the check it as the front o-ring on the others could take a pretty serious beating. that front oring is only meant to cope with a little silicone finger passing by it.
I am using the Rex R2 detent. It is a nubbin.
Old 04-14-2014, 11:40 PM   #9 (permalink)
That's it That's all

CCM Fan
Quote:
Originally Posted by pepsi4all View Post
I am using the Rex R2 detent. It is a nubbin.
oh neat. well in that case, probably doesn't matter. I looked in to replacing the stock bolt on my sniper and I couldn't find any credible evidence that any of the available replacements would provide a significant improvement in performance, or for that matter, even a result that could be noted as outside a margin of error. To me most of the positive reviews sounded a lot like people trying to feel good about the $50 they spent.
long_bones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2014, 02:25 AM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by long_bones View Post
oh neat. well in that case, probably doesn't matter. I looked in to replacing the stock bolt on my sniper and I couldn't find any credible evidence that any of the available replacements would provide a significant improvement in performance, or for that matter, even a result that could be noted as outside a margin of error. To me most of the positive reviews sounded a lot like people trying to feel good about the $50 they spent.
I think your right. I am more convince that stock bolt is definitely fine... actually, it prevents more blow back due to larger orings. This means more efficiency... its one of the evidence Techt never put out a video out for bolt comparison.

mcarterbrown.com » Paintball » The Armory » Empire