mcarterbrown.com  

Empire Mini - Axe - Empire Sniper

Old 10-01-2008, 06:11 PM   #1 (permalink)
idiots spring eternal

got a couple of questions

So I'm playing at the local recball place with my usual assortment of old school honeys ('mag classic, Tippy ProCarb and ProLite, and even a Toxic Toys Tribal BBT 2.2) when I hear one of my fellow recballers just clicking away on a marker's solenoid, and being a paintball techhead, I look out of curiousity. He's ripping away on his new Mini, and not having seen one in person before, I wander over and my interest is instantly piqued: it's light, it's compact, and it's rather plain. It's admittedly got a little swoop in the milling but that (unlike a lot of markers I could name *cough*Intimidator*cough*) is not it's main/only selling point. Kind of like my Classics, the looks are very utilitarian and straight to the point, which I do enjoy.

Anyway, just that one view interests me enough that the next day I'm looking up stuff on the internet about them (how they work, what people have done with them, etc) but I don't see the one piece of the puzzle that would make me start looking for one to purchase: does anyone make a drop system for these markers? I understand that's not an ASA on the bottom of the grip frame, but an inline regulator that passes the gas up into the grip and into the primary chamber, but surely someone out there has made something to move that reg off the bottom of the grip. Haven't they? I know, the fad nowadays is to have the ASA right there as drop forwards have gone out of style, but I do like drop forwards and power angles and definitely don't like the length of marker you get with the currently popular setups. Am I the only to have pondered this question or has someone already come up with an option?

Okay, so if I am the only one who's pondering this because I'm stuck in the tourney period of the late '90's/early '00's, what kind of connection is between the primary inline reg and the chamber up in the grip frame? Is it a standard 1/8" NPT that I could easily run hose to? Does the other screws that hold the reg to the bottom of the grip line up with standard drop forward holes or is it a propietary pattern?

Thanks in advance!

I can't dumb it down to your level because I'm scared of heights.

A shark is an animal that dies if it stops moving.

My feedback
usagi_tetsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2008, 07:22 PM   #2 (permalink)
Post Whore

The attachment is rather unique and since the air line ( air-tube really) runs through the grip it would be difficult to make any kind of drop for it, not impossible nor cheap! The tube from the reg to valve is not 1/8 th in, not sure what it is as I never had cause to check!

My FS Listing
Misc bits-

My feed back:
http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/s...ead.php?t=1021

Carter's Commando Texas Division:
http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/c...-division.html
Crash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2008, 11:21 AM   #3 (permalink)
idiots spring eternal

Actually, as I'm pretty sure no one currently offers what I'm asking for at the retail level, I'll probably have to hit up a bud of mine who works as a machinist and see if he can't make something up for me. He's made other little bits for me in the past, and he always likes small projects that make him think a little. And it wouldn't be all that difficult, as macroline would suffice for the connection as the reg knocks the pressure way down, and macroline handles up to around 1K psi or more.

That assumes, of course, that I end up buying a Mini. I have a lot of markers in my collection (almost 30) and I don't play as much as I'd like (about twice this year, maybe three times; hard to remember when it happens so infrequently), plus money is tight as the wife and I are expecting our first child in November. One of the factual things I found out in my further research last night is that the Mini weighs 1lb, 13.6oz, and the Proto Rail (another low price, high performance electroflinger) weighs 1lb, 14.4oz, courtesy of the TechPB.com videos on YouTube. As one of my likes of the Mini was its lightness this makes me wonder if I could have an easier time by simply picking up the PMR instead, but on the other hand, I'd be missing out on the obvious compactness of the Mini. *sigh* Much pondering to do.

If any of you ladies or gents knows the specs on the connection between the bottomline reg and the primary chamber in the grip (or even can point me to a spiffy breakdown diagram), please post it up so I can have more info to ponder upon.

My feedback
Old 10-02-2008, 04:37 PM   #4 (permalink)
idiots spring eternal

Never mind, found a pretty decent teardown walkthrough here.

My feedback

mcarterbrown.com » Paintball » The Armory » Empire