mcarterbrown.com  

Featuring Death Team Featuring Death

Old 11-19-2012, 11:22 AM   #1 (permalink)
Walking without rhythm

CCM Fan
Brass N Wood Fan
Palmers Fan
2012 Season Re Cap, Growing pains, and Way Ahead

Well, I think most of us agree that the regular season is pretty much over. There will likely be a few more days of play and maybe a day or two of winter ball but thats about it.

I think that this season started out really well, a lot got done but I think we finished pretty weak.

FD grew, we made some good friends and added some jersey owners as well as potential jersey owners. We lost a few people, but it happens. I will likely be gone next season as well.

Season Starters out at PBG3s place were awesome! Tons of fun was had. Met some great players like Agglet, MorueM and a few others currently escaping my memory right now.

Some extremely productive build days at OXP resulted in some really nice fields and a lot of good play resulted.

FD represented at Spring Castle, Someone who was there can supply more info on how that went.

We had a hiccup with the scenario at Real Deal. That was too bad, but we did get a few of us out there to play at least once.

FD had a pretty successful outing at Pump Pandemonium and got to play pretty effectively as an actual team! That castle defense was amazing!
The number of participants may have been low this year but I know I still had a blast.

I want to thank the FD guys for helping me out with the Gravity League tournies! Those who reffed, played, promotted...Big thanks and I hope that what was started this year can be continued in the next years to come!

Siberian 5 Tactical Tournement...I don't even want to go there as I am still pretty pissed about Featuring Death's lack of turn out for this... By my last count (and I have been absent for the last couple of months...) there are roughly 25-35 Featuring Death Members, defacto members, close affiliates, and loose affiliates...yet we were unable to field a single 5 person team to defend the title the boys won last year. If you DONT have a problem with that...then I will flat out say that you will probably NOT be a good fit for FD in the future. /rant

Growing Pains:

The new speedball field at OXP has added a new element of play that will need to be incorperated somehow into how FD plans to move on in the future But it needs to be done so in a way that our teams original Ethos is maintained. This play style should not be ignored but it has also caused its share of stress on our team. It was HUGE for the Gravity League Tourney. But it also re introduced an element of High ROF to our regular days that the team had previously worked very hard to try and eliminate.

The speedball field also brought FD in contact with a lot more players. A lot more people came to OXP and became OXP regulars. FD hung out with them, played with them, and made friends with many of them. This is not entirely a bad thing but it also demonstrated a need for FD to address its own popularity and membership criteria. While we may have started out as a casual group of friends out to have a fun time, our success over the last two years has created a bit of a "Brand Name" that I think we need to protect...even if that means telling some that they just don't make the cut. It may sound harsh but I do believe that it is necessary for any team, in any sport, to do in order to remain strong and true to what they stand for.

Being friendly, polite and approachable is all very good, but unless membership is somewhat exclusive...it really doesn't mean too much.

The Way Ahead:

The season is over. Everyone is tired and moving out of the paintball mindset for this year. Christmas is coming and everyone's focus is moving towards that. So Featuring Death may as well take a nice break and enjoy the holidays.

Sometime before spring I would like to get together and discuss how we as a team want to see the team progress.

There is a very real potential that some of the decissions that are made in this meeting(s) may end up upsetting a few people. But these decissions are also going to be crutal to keeping this club alive and in good health.

~Stilgar

Now, I would like to invite everyone to post about their favoriet experiences this year! Share some stories, pictures, laughs...
Stilgar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 11:32 AM   #2 (permalink)
First Mate

My favorite experiences were the 3 times I got to come to OXP and play...I wish I lived closer...

ThickChestHair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 01:48 PM   #3 (permalink)
aka FairLady

Brass N Wood Fan
Palmers Fan
RTP Fan
Honestly, I had a great time at OXP this season. Ive gotten some old friends who have similar play styles to come out as well. I will definitely be back next season.

Highlight of the season for me was probably my first day playing in about 5 years... Duncan and CJ introduced me to the field(s) and we had some great 2 on 2 battles.

Suggestions/observations:
-We had some big turnouts on some days. Big enough for several games.
-ROF: Most cases ROF was not an issue and I have no issue playing with semis who are controlling their ROF. That being said, I personally think its excessive to hit an unsuspecting pump player 8-10 times in the back (this happened).
-Speedball field would be amazing for stock class only games - just saying
-Pump only games every so often would also be fun
-Never saw a capture the flag game this year, might be fun?

Thats all for now.
300z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 06:40 PM   #4 (permalink)
Mar
All nail Drum!

Fan of EMR
CCM Fan
Brass N Wood Fan
Palmers Fan
This was a great year. I remember in the spring thinking it would be our best year ever, and it was close! Maybe it was?

First I want to acknowledge the members that I miss and that really didn't come out this season: We miss you guys!

I would also like to acknowledge Stilgars efforts to get us out to other places. It worked, it may look small but it was a DRASTIC imporvement, huge, like a 1000% percent improvement.

The GRAVITY league was the highlight of the year: reffing, or playing it was a riot! The guys all had fun, and the work you did to organize and run it was amazing: thanks for all the effort!

The talent level at the field went through the roof this year - really. It really changed a lot of things. Games on many fields are more static due to the respect players are giving the guy on the other end of the barrel.

I would have liked to see more done on the fields - but that is a recurring theme - and a lot of it is out of our hands.

We may be able to get some work done between now and too much snow...

I really enjoyed this year, a lot. Loved the new faces. Loved the good times.

Look forward to what ever games we have left in 2012 and hanging out with the crew over the winter!
Mar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 06:59 PM   #5 (permalink)

CCM Fan
The GLO was definitely my highlight this year and plan on making it more of a priority next year, all the hard work put in by all parties was appreciated. I really wish I could of make the Sib5 tourney, but a grandparents 50th anniversary took priority this year.

Rcjunky's feedback
rcjunky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 07:16 PM   #6 (permalink)
Featuring Death

CCM Fan
Playing in the first GLO and reffing the second was the highlight for me. Acquiring new firepower was also exciting for me. The tire ball field is awesome along with the improvements to the others. I would love to see something happen with the fire base next year. I am upset about the way Sib5 turned out. Breaking my hand and the whole Karters' thing sucked for me. Stilgars efforts to get us out to other fields was awesome, made the year even better. Thanks Stilgar!! I would really like to see some direction for FD next year, with all the talk of a meeting and it nothing happening with it kinda sucked. My personal goals for next year are: get out at least twice a month, ref at OXP ( this is up to Scotty), acquire more guns ( I'm looking at you CCM), get a jersey, and get good.
Old 11-19-2012, 08:11 PM   #7 (permalink)
First Mate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mar View Post
Loved the new faces.
/shy

ThickChestHair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 10:29 PM   #8 (permalink)
Not Banned Kerry

AKA Fan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stilgar

We lost a few people, but it happens. I will likely be gone next season as well.

Done with paintball?

Quote:
Season Starters out at PBG3s place were awesome! Tons of fun was had. Met some great players like Agglet, MorueM and a few others currently escaping my memory right now.
The first time we went there (I think it was this spring?) was probably my favourite game of paintball i've played, i remember seeing a 'cocker shoot for the first time haha

Quote:
Some extremely productive build days at OXP resulted in some really nice fields and a lot of good play resulted.
I think I actually came out for more work days than games, but hopefully I can make it out one more time before the snow?
Speedball field was awesome, loved it.

Black Chrome T8, CCM S5, Invert Mini I, Invert Mini II, Y-framed Minimag
Feedback.
Author of Useful Resources For Tiberius Owners.
Mr.Smith is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 11:37 PM   #9 (permalink)
Post Whore

As little as I got to play due to my absence from the city, GLO was by far the best ball I got to play all year. Looking forward to trying to be in Ottawa over the summer for next season.
Old 11-20-2012, 07:50 AM   #10 (permalink)
Featuring Death!

Fan of EMR
CCM Fan
I had a great year. Lots of fun walkon days and went to spring castle and pumpers. GLO was a blast, thanks Stilgar for organising it.
kynan is offline   Reply With Quote

mcarterbrown.com » Paintball Teams » Team Forums » Featuring Death