mcarterbrown.com  

Featuring Death Team Featuring Death

Old 02-02-2014, 05:25 PM   #11 (permalink)
Professional Hobbyist

CCM Fan
Brass N Wood Fan
Kilt Fan
Palmers Fan
nevermind that, I squared something I shouldn't have

Feedback: http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/f...-feedback.html

Last edited by markermasher; 02-02-2014 at 05:28 PM. Reason: im wrong
markermasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2014, 05:28 PM   #12 (permalink)
aka FairLady

Brass N Wood Fan
Palmers Fan
RTP Fan
ok you win. NO way in HELL im playing that haha. NINJAD!!!! show me some numbers haha!

Quote:
Originally Posted by markermasher View Post
nevermind that, I squared something I shouldn't have
300z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2014, 05:34 PM   #13 (permalink)
Professional Hobbyist

CCM Fan
Brass N Wood Fan
Kilt Fan
Palmers Fan
forgot part of the kinetic energy formula, I got 16 joules roughly as well.

Old 02-02-2014, 05:35 PM   #14 (permalink)
aka FairLady

Brass N Wood Fan
Palmers Fan
RTP Fan
So that is my new question? Are any of you willing to play at velocities err energies like that with appropriately certified headgear?

I probably would. i dont think broken ribs or any significant damage would occur to anything other than the head. I would be surprised if those increases would result in concussion risks either, having been hit in the head at speeds similar to that.

My only other question is - how would this kind of increase in energy translate to distance? Can anyone put this in perspective? I imagine this would be a more complex calculation, so just throw out an opinion if you have one!

Last edited by 300z; 02-02-2014 at 05:42 PM.
Old 02-02-2014, 11:06 PM   #15 (permalink)
Post Whore

IIRC something like 15 joules is where you start to run the risk of serious trauma. But this would be at the muzzle of the barrel so if you are shooting from a farther distance it wouldn't make much difference, but you can forget about not seriously hurting somebody under 10 feet from you.

If you want to increase the kinetic energy it's not fair to only look at a larger projectile. Much like how 50 cal was regulated to the same speed as 68 cal. It makes no sense.

For the same energy a smaller and thus lighter projectile will 100% of the time travel more distance. The distance a projectile travels is based solely on three variables. First is the speed, a lighter projectile will have a higher speed than a heavier one for the same energy. The second is the angle at which the projectile is fired, you can shoot 50 cal the same angle as 68 or 75 for that matter. The third is the initial height, which again any caliber can match any other caliber for this variable.

A lighter projectile traveling at higher speed will not have the same momentum since the mass may decrease by, for the sake of easy round numbers, 4 times but the speed only increases by 2 times. So you get a halving of momentum, which roughly translates to it's resistance to being blow around.
Old 02-03-2014, 02:01 AM   #16 (permalink)
MCB Member

how about we just have markers with laser range finders on them and when you shot it/pull the trigger. it internally ranges the distance and changes the dwell to adjust the velocity at the point of impact. resulting in the same impact every time.
and we keep 68 cal
Old 02-03-2014, 12:44 PM   #17 (permalink)
Professional Hobbyist

CCM Fan
Brass N Wood Fan
Kilt Fan
Palmers Fan
Or just grab a couple 9mm and simunition! I think a non bulky air source would really be a big issue.
To compare I could get about 80 shots at 300 fps on my chaser with .43 cal but your average tpx or Tiberius gets about 20-25?

Old 02-03-2014, 02:36 PM   #18 (permalink)
Post Whore

Send a message via MSN to foldadoom

Just to point out .62 and .50 are not new cal's .62 was one of the orginal cal's for paintball (and we where using .50 in the mid 80's as well, on a comercial field) the reason for change was econimcs plane and simple (sick of going into this argument) now .65 that was a great idea range of .68 with balistics like .62 (in those days .68 was very hit or miss in terms of quality,) but it never took off.
Old 02-03-2014, 04:15 PM   #19 (permalink)
aka FairLady

Brass N Wood Fan
Palmers Fan
RTP Fan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keys_JR View Post
If you want to increase the kinetic energy it's not fair to only look at a larger projectile. Much like how 50 cal was regulated to the same speed as 68 cal. It makes no sense.
Thats actually a really good point. My only question is that with standard 68 cal balls when you get into velocities above 310, you start to get serious deviation in flight patterns (why- dunno?).I can only imagine 50 cal would be even more pronounced. I was thinking originally that a higher mass ball would reduce this variation

Im kind of curious what effect of this theoretical ball would be. I have definitely been hit with guns in the 310-320 fps range which according to the math i did would be comparable to this new round. In terms of body shot it would break the skin slightly but nothing like broken ribs. Again, I feel that headshots would be the area of considerable concern.

Last edited by 300z; 02-03-2014 at 04:21 PM.
Old 02-03-2014, 05:37 PM   #20 (permalink)
Post Whore

Send a message via MSN to foldadoom

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJOttawa View Post
IIRC (not sure if mentioned above) *over* 300fps with a typical paintball risks broken finger bones, which is why a limit was imposed.

i disagree, popular myth.

mcarterbrown.com » Paintball Teams » Team Forums » Featuring Death