mcarterbrown.com  

Featuring Death Team Featuring Death

Old 06-29-2014, 06:30 PM   #1 (permalink)
Walking without rhythm

CCM Fan
Brass N Wood Fan
Palmers Fan
Movement and chivalry?

I had a great day today! Hot as hell but still fun!

I think we need to think about two things.

1) movement: all of us are getting bogged down, not moving due to knowing our opponents are going to tag us the moment we show even a hair width of a target.

How do we fix this?

We make moves at other fields, is it we know our field too well? How can we change things up and or motivate more movement?

2) chivalry: we are always courteous and friendly and quick to congratulate each other on good shots. But lately we have been taking shots at our opponents through the smallest of cracks in their bunker rather than engage in a proper snap battle over and around the bunkers.

I am guilty of this, I did it to MAr today. And as much as I like to shoot MAr I do not feel that a shot through a 1/2" crack where he has nowhere to hide is not a true win. I know I will fail if I engage most of you in a snap battle but I also know I won't get better unless I do... I also know that I will value a clean hit far more than a lucky one I snuck through a crack.

My proposal:

A gentleman agreement among FD to not shoot through our opponents bunkers cracks.

I for one will follow this anyway. I will come at you from over top and around your bunker.
Stilgar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2014, 06:41 PM   #2 (permalink)
aka FairLady

CCM Fan
Brass N Wood Fan
Palmers Fan
RTP Fan
these two issues are linked in my opinion.

part of the reason people are hunkering down is because they are looking through cracks waiting for shots. This results in people sitting behind bunkers looking through cracks and only popping out when we see someone in the open. We all do it. Boarding up these cracks will force people to stick there heads out.

Many of the cracks have become rather large, sometimes 3-5 inches. Is that even a crack anymore? and this is where people get confused/opinionated. There are cracks you can easily put balls consistently on target through. People will always have opinions on this, the best way to squash this topic is to board em up and remove the possibility.

There are also a few 'god bunkers' that need to be modified (field 1 netting tapeline).

I vote next walk on day, we do a quick tour on lunch or after the day and board up some of the big cracks on field 1 (which is what needs the most attention). Perhaps this is something we can incorporate, taking 30-45 mins a day for walk on days and do some field maintenance?

Last edited by 300z; 06-29-2014 at 07:01 PM.
300z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2014, 07:19 PM   #3 (permalink)
Mar
All nail Drum!

Fan of EMR
CCM Fan
Brass N Wood Fan
Palmers Fan
As Tyler's feet will attest to, I am captain douchebag. BUT NO MORE! On Velcor I swear!

As far as fixing cracks - I think it will be a massive task, but why not try. Fill a wheelbarrow with scraps of wood and start there. Field 1 patching is a write off though. I am for removing most of the flank protection on what Tyler described as field 1 god bunker - the way it was originally built.

It is too early in the year to see people frustrated! Let's fix this ****!

Also: all my road field ideas were immediately shot down, so not too encouraged there. I guess I should be used to it. If you want to build it, I will help assemble stuff, but I grow tired of always being wrong.
Mar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2014, 07:29 PM   #4 (permalink)
aka FairLady

CCM Fan
Brass N Wood Fan
Palmers Fan
RTP Fan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mar View Post
As far as fixing cracks - I think it will be a massive task, but why not try. Fill a wheelbarrow with scraps of wood and start there. Field 1 patching is a write off though.

its like I say, we tackle this issue over the summer - many hands make light work. if we patch 1 bunker a day on field one, we will have significant progress by the end of the year. 1 bunker a day is not an overwhelming task.

Next year we can start on field 2.

we run this by Scotty and hopefully he says yes. as far as materials go, does he have building materials or do we need to recycle from other fields?

Last edited by 300z; 06-29-2014 at 07:33 PM.
Old 06-29-2014, 08:37 PM   #5 (permalink)
Mar
All nail Drum!

Fan of EMR
CCM Fan
Brass N Wood Fan
Palmers Fan
There is slab wood available. We can load up the truck, drop it off at field 1? And go from there.
Mar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2014, 08:46 PM   #6 (permalink)
Money Spending Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by 300z View Post
these two issues are linked in my opinion.

part of the reason people are hunkering down is because they are looking through cracks waiting for shots. This results in people sitting behind bunkers looking through cracks and only popping out when we see someone in the open. We all do it. Boarding up these cracks will force people to stick there heads out.

Many of the cracks have become rather large, sometimes 3-5 inches. Is that even a crack anymore? and this is where people get confused/opinionated. There are cracks you can easily put balls consistently on target through. People will always have opinions on this, the best way to squash this topic is to board em up and remove the possibility.

There are also a few 'god bunkers' that need to be modified (field 1 netting tapeline).

I vote next walk on day, we do a quick tour on lunch or after the day and board up some of the big cracks on field 1 (which is what needs the most attention). Perhaps this is something we can incorporate, taking 30-45 mins a day for walk on days and do some field maintenance?
This is mostly in line with my assessment.

Sorry I didn't make it out, I woke up with a nice migraine and decided to just sleep for another 6 hours instead.
Keys_JR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2014, 09:09 AM   #7 (permalink)
Legal Eagle

Send a message via MSN to Falcon16 Send a message via Skype™ to Falcon16

CCM Fan
Brass N Wood Fan
Palmers Fan
I like this line of thinking. It's correct in my view. i try not to sneak one through a crack. Personally I find it not only makes me a better player to engage in snap battles but I find it more fun than sneaking one through a hole in a bunker or that lucky one through heavy brush. Good post Stilgar

Feedback +38/-0
Click here to email me
My youtube channel
Click here to pay me via Paypal

Quote:
Originally Posted by ApoC_101 View Post
Pump paintball is cheaper than any drug habit I've ever heard of.
Falcon16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2014, 10:09 AM   #8 (permalink)
Featuring Death

CCM Fan
I find the biggest issue(s) at OXP, despite my limited presence there, is the fields are getting stale. With the increase of skill at the field it makes it hard to make risky moves because you'l get shot. However, if you change up the fields it will put everybody out of their comfort zone and make people move. Cracks are a huge issue too, people just chill and wait for that shot rather then posting out. At Karters' every new bunker I put on the field has no cracks on it because when I started realizing that the cracks effected game play I wanted to change that. And over time I'm going to eliminate all cracks. Just like you guys, it's not gonna happen over night but you need to start before you get too bored.
Old 06-30-2014, 11:47 AM   #9 (permalink)
FRONT Towards Enemy

Brass N Wood Fan
Palmers Fan
RTP Fan
Crack peeking/crack shooting is definitely an issue that needs to be addressed.

Both slow down games and at this point are actually hindering the development of core skills, i.e. proper snapshooting, peeking around corners w/out getting gogged, etc.

While putting in the work and patching up the bunkers will solve this issue, I do like where Stil is going as far as a chivalrous gentlemens agreement.

Last edited by DunXWright; 06-30-2014 at 05:51 PM.
DunXWright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2014, 12:30 PM   #10 (permalink)
aka FairLady

CCM Fan
Brass N Wood Fan
Palmers Fan
RTP Fan
ok so either on lunch breaks or after a day of play I am going to start working on bunkers on field 1. The more people who kick in the faster this will go

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mar View Post
There is slab wood available. We can load up the truck, drop it off at field 1? And go from there.

mcarterbrown.com » Paintball Teams » Team Forums » Featuring Death