mcarterbrown.com  

Featuring Death Team Featuring Death

Old 07-06-2014, 09:23 PM   #11 (permalink)
MCB Member

I'm one of those guys who hate competitive play now. I do other things competitively and as I've said before its hard for me to turn off that person and I don't want to negatively affect the play of others - The topic of Tyler's discussion.

Do we turn some away? Yes I think so. Not in the sense of directly asking them to leave but by refusing to play with unsportsmanlike players.

Bounce padding against pump players on a rec day? Tyler shot this one dude twice...both bounces....I shoot him 3 times (1 from 15 ft away) all three bounces...playing stock class against that was fun lol. I mean I get that bounces don't count, but to wear padding designed for that = no class or place on a walk on day. Competitive play sure.

I feel that some people get in this mindset of only thinking about themselves and how they play with no thought as to how it affects others. I'm guilty of this, and I think we all are. I also think that as a group we do this less often than others and expect others to conform which doesn't always work out. Some dudes just want to unload a case on some wood or giant air bunkers...cool for them. I just hope they realize that they might scare off people just finding the love for the game. As do we if we don't help everyone get better and not just ourselves.

I think attendance is down a little but one thing we can do is just stay positive, productive and have fun. Hopefully that keeps bringing in good players and keeps them with us.
Feedback
Slappadapink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2014, 09:37 PM   #12 (permalink)
Post Whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slappadapink View Post
I feel that some people get in this mindset of only thinking about themselves and how they play with no thought as to how it affects others. I'm guilty of this, and I think we all are. I also think that as a group we do this less often than others and expect others to conform which doesn't always work out. Some dudes just want to unload a case on some wood or giant air bunkers...cool for them. I just hope they realize that they might scare off people just finding the love for the game. As do we if we don't help everyone get better and not just ourselves.

I think attendance is down a little but one thing we can do is just stay positive, productive and have fun. Hopefully that keeps bringing in good players and keeps them with us.
I don't have a problem with people wanting to unload a case on some bunkers, but there is a time and place to do that. When you have a bunch of young kids, renters and pump players, it's not really the time to be doing it. Like you were saying about the bounce padding, there is a time and place and really, especially with such a varied group as it was today, recball is not the place.
Old 07-06-2014, 09:44 PM   #13 (permalink)
GunPhighter

Should the field op raise concerns then an easy fix would be "pump days/Featuring Death" exclusives.

My field of choice almost went the way of the dinosaurs with the evolution of semi's. Rentals n regulars alike disliked the increased pace of play that cockers n mags brought to the field. Members day was born.

I have to admit, people not showing up strictly on grounds of SC players and their format being present, is an odd case. Kinda displays a fickleness of state of mind from potential clientele.
PhantomGSI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2014, 10:24 PM   #14 (permalink)
MCB Member

300, your initial post is a reflection of how we have all felt at some point in time or another. I don't think that we, as a group of pump players, influence the turnout at the field in a negative fashion - if anything, we attract people with similar mindsets on how to play the game. This doesn't mean that we are snobs or better than others, we choose to play "against" individuals with whom we have developed a mutual respect.

I'm quite certain that the friend that I brought out today will come back to play with us and we may "recruit" some new blood. What I am also sure of is that it was our style of play, not the electro-fueled overshooting, that contributed to my friend's experience.

We did the right thing today by removing ourselves from a situation that could only have become worse. I can recall a number of occasions in the past where the level of gameplay became rather intense and our pump group ran roughshod over high ROF players - to the point that they packed up and left. This is not an ideal that we should want to perpetuate.

This is the second attempt at posting - a lengthy response, "typed" on my iPad was lost after the server timed out on me... I hate "typing" on iPads!!!

PS, I really wanted to play the Stock Class Classic but was too many time zones away...

Canuck

Featuring Death: Bringing Honour to the Paintball Field

http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/f...-feedback.html
Canuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2014, 10:39 PM   #15 (permalink)
Post Whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canuck View Post
roughshod

This is the second attempt at posting - a lengthy response, "typed" on my iPad was lost after the server timed out on me... I hate "typing" on iPads!!!

PS, I really wanted to play the Stock Class Classic but was too many time zones away...
Auto correct or some other definition unrelated to horses?
Old 07-06-2014, 10:55 PM   #16 (permalink)
Featuring Death

CCM Fan
So as a bit of an outsider, I'm gonna share my five cents.

To me the main problems with OXP, in terms of turn out are as follows.

Staffing is down, we all know that renters make gear owners and gear owners make members. When you have one ref on a group of 30 they aren't going to have as much fun as a properly staffed group. My rule of thumb is one ref to 12 players and add a one ref for every 10 afterwards. So 2 refs would take care of a group of 13-22. This staffing allows for games to run smoother, everybody to be safer, and allows the refs to have more customer service time. Because no matter how you look at reffing, it is a customer service job.

Everything is getting stale. Since I started playing at OXP 6 years ago (do I make anybody feel old saying that?) nothing has really changed. Village has been changed up a little and the tire field has been added. A lot of players get bored easily, that's why a field like Commandos is doing so well. They have so many fields it's hard to get bored. This requires a revamp of every field every year because OXP doesn't have the space to expand to more fields (to my knowledge).

Skill level. The skill level at OXP is the highest field I've ever been through. Playing in the CXBL is childs play compared to the talent at OXP. This in turns drives away new players because they can't keep up. If they try to get keep up with higher ROF guns they just get sent packing. Not ideal for building up a new customer base.

Solution: put down the pumps and mechs and pull out the electros. Playing with an electro is a different game. Somebody outside comes with an electro and puts down 15bps? Match that ROF and beat him with skill. A lot of players who shoot 15bps don't understand that it's not the ROF that makes the player. Coach the player to rely on skill and not ROF, he will keep coming back because he was excepted at first and then you changed him. By not allowing high ROF players to not play with the group just hurts the field.

Rebuild the fields. With the regulars knowing every angle and bunker on the fields it puts the new guys at a huge disadvantage and makes it so they get rolled and not have fun. If you switch up the fields both you and the new guys have to learn at the same time and you will have more fun.

This is just a few thoughts as I have seen OXP change over time and with watching my own field grow over 3 years. Please don't be upset about anything I said, I'm just trying to help.
Old 07-07-2014, 12:02 PM   #17 (permalink)
aka FairLady

CCM Fan
Brass N Wood Fan
Palmers Fan
RTP Fan
I ha a suspicion this is how electro players would view us.

That said, our group has been working towards establishing a limited ammo pump following. I like the group we have built.

M point is only - why can't electro players also frequent the field in their own group? I believe it should be easy to assemble a group of these types of players. In my mind, we shouldn't have an impact on electro players at this point. If they want to play with us, try and fit in. If they wan to play their way, get a group going. But his isn't the case - the electro market at oxp has vanished.

Part of the issue with picking up an electro and beating them at their own game is the varying ethics I have alluded to. In my experience there is a difference there. Period. Overshooting, wiping, bounce padding - it really isn't our way. When you play with people who do play that way there is a conflict.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toad View Post
So as a bit of an outsider, I'm gonna share my five cents.

To me the main problems with OXP, in terms of turn out are as follows.

Staffing is down, we all know that renters make gear owners and gear owners make members. When you have one ref on a group of 30 they aren't going to have as much fun as a properly staffed group. My rule of thumb is one ref to 12 players and add a one ref for every 10 afterwards. So 2 refs would take care of a group of 13-22. This staffing allows for games to run smoother, everybody to be safer, and allows the refs to have more customer service time. Because no matter how you look at reffing, it is a customer service job.

Everything is getting stale. Since I started playing at OXP 6 years ago (do I make anybody feel old saying that?) nothing has really changed. Village has been changed up a little and the tire field has been added. A lot of players get bored easily, that's why a field like Commandos is doing so well. They have so many fields it's hard to get bored. This requires a revamp of every field every year because OXP doesn't have the space to expand to more fields (to my knowledge).

Skill level. The skill level at OXP is the highest field I've ever been through. Playing in the CXBL is childs play compared to the talent at OXP. This in turns drives away new players because they can't keep up. If they try to get keep up with higher ROF guns they just get sent packing. Not ideal for building up a new customer base.

Solution: put down the pumps and mechs and pull out the electros. Playing with an electro is a different game. Somebody outside comes with an electro and puts down 15bps? Match that ROF and beat him with skill. A lot of players who shoot 15bps don't understand that it's not the ROF that makes the player. Coach the player to rely on skill and not ROF, he will keep coming back because he was excepted at first and then you changed him. By not allowing high ROF players to not play with the group just hurts the field.

Rebuild the fields. With the regulars knowing every angle and bunker on the fields it puts the new guys at a huge disadvantage and makes it so they get rolled and not have fun. If you switch up the fields both you and the new guys have to learn at the same time and you will have more fun.

This is just a few thoughts as I have seen OXP change over time and with watching my own field grow over 3 years. Please don't be upset about anything I said, I'm just trying to help.

Last edited by 300z; 07-07-2014 at 12:08 PM.
300z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2014, 12:09 PM   #18 (permalink)
Featuring Death

CCM Fan
Quote:
Originally Posted by 300z View Post
I ha a suspicion this is how electro players would view us.

That said, our group has been working towards establishing a limited ammo pump following. I like the group we have built.

M point is only - why can't electro players also frequent the field in their own group? I believe it should be easy to assemble a group of these types of players. In my mind, we shouldn't have an impact on electro players at this point. If they want to play with us, try and fit in. If they wan to play their way, get a group going. But his isn't the case - the electro market at oxp has vanished.
All the electros are at different fields because they cater to their needs better. You guys have your niche and you have to live within it. You can't have both a limited paint group and an electro group co-exsist on the same field.

And I wouldn't call myself an electro player, I just play paintball.
Old 07-07-2014, 12:19 PM   #19 (permalink)
Post Whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toad View Post
You can't have both a limited paint group and an electro group co-exsist on the same field.
Why not? If we can have our group and a couple groups of renters co-exist, why can't a group of paint hosers co-exist? Or are they somehow better than everybody else?
Old 07-07-2014, 12:32 PM   #20 (permalink)
aka FairLady

CCM Fan
Brass N Wood Fan
Palmers Fan
RTP Fan
I am inclined to say the same thing. The two styles of play should be able to coexist.

Whether you agree or disagree with the play style, it has an important impact on an industry that makes its profits from paint sales.

It would be nice to see a large walk on crowd like we did last summer. Who knows, aside from increasing field profit, you might be able to introduce some new players to the style of play and ethics of our group.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keys_JR View Post
Why not? If we can have our group and a couple groups of renters co-exist, why can't a group of paint hosers co-exist? Or are they somehow better than everybody else?
300z is offline   Reply With Quote

mcarterbrown.com » Paintball Teams » Team Forums » Featuring Death