mcarterbrown.com  

Featuring Death Team Featuring Death

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 07-07-2014, 01:37 PM   #21 (permalink)
Featuring Death
 
Toad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Ottawa Ontario

CCM Fan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keys_JR View Post
Why not? If we can have our group and a couple groups of renters co-exist, why can't a group of paint hosers co-exist? Or are they somehow better than everybody else?
Because, generally speaking, both groups have a much different mentality. Sotck class/pump players enjoy the sportsmanship and sharing a few good laughs while speedballers are all about winning at all costs. Those two contrast each other greatly and make it difficult for each group to play well with each other. Speedballers get frustrated with pump players because they can't lock down lanes and pump players get frustrated with speedballers spraying paint down range. It is possible for them to play together, but it is quite difficult.
__________________
Toad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2014, 02:14 PM   #22 (permalink)
Money Spending Enthusiast
 
Keys_JR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toad View Post
Because, generally speaking, both groups have a much different mentality. Sotck class/pump players enjoy the sportsmanship and sharing a few good laughs while speedballers are all about winning at all costs. Those two contrast each other greatly and make it difficult for each group to play well with each other. Speedballers get frustrated with pump players because they can't lock down lanes and pump players get frustrated with speedballers spraying paint down range. It is possible for them to play together, but it is quite difficult.
So we don't play together, doesn't mean they can't play at the field...
Keys_JR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2014, 03:03 PM   #23 (permalink)
Proud Member of UCSF
 
Butch3r's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Edmonton, AB

Speaking as an outsider and after reading through the entire thread you guys are way too into your own style of play and no longer have an open mind for paintball, I keep reading that you want more attendance but you want everyone else to adopt your play style or at least if they want to play with/against you guys that you want them to play limited ammo witch is a complete elitist snobbish attitude to take to the sport. I'm not trying to flame or troll here just saying sport is paintball and there are multiple play styles besides your own.

The team I play for has pump/limited ammo (mag) players, milsim players (those who play dress up but don't play limited ammo) and we also have a few speed ball players. Being on such a diverse team I can tell you not everyone enjoys the limited ammo format that you seem to want to impose on everyone at your field. for example one of our players bought a DAM thinking he might join some of us in playing the magfeed limited ammo format but after playing a few games he realized its really just not his thing so he sticks to using his A5 and when he dose run with his DAM he uses a hopper, sure he carries more paint and sure he has a much higher ROF then most of us but he is as good of a sport as they come and I don't ever see him lighting other players up like a douche.

We often blend the different styles of play within our team together rather then grouping all the limited ammo guys separate from the milsim or the speed ballers so we have all the tools to take on any group we may encounter on the field, for example your playing against a few speed ballers then we would get someone on our team with a higher ROF to create a distraction that will allow the mag and pump guys sneak around. If there is a douche with bounce padding then we light him up for example one guy that frequents our field wears a 3" block of foam under his jersey and is a real dick when it comes to taking hits (you could be 20' have a clear unobstructed line of sight on him, hit him dead centre of the chest and if it bounces he will still turn and shoot saying oh well it bounced so it dose not count) so now we just know that unless you have a clean shot at his mask just light him up, if he approaches us about it we just tell him when we got a clean hit on you and it bounces take it or take off the padding so we wont have to light you up just to get a break. We don't make a habit of overshooting but special occasions call for special lessons, were still one of if not thee most sportsman like teams at our field.

So I go back to what Toad was saying about showing them how to beat them at their own game and teaching them the skills so they wont rely on high ROF or supper bounce padding (unless their pansies about taking a hit but after all this is PAIN'tball not hold your friends hand and skip through the daisies), I'm not implying you have to wear bounce padding or shoot with a high ROF just use a mech once in a while that will let you fire a few burst when needed so you can keep up. Using a pump is a lot of fun and as awesome as it is to run the lightest setups on the field using a pump dose give you a major handicap when playing against electros but that is why pump players have so much raw sill, I myself use pump for owner days and walk on play where I focus on improving my skills like snapping and stealth movement but I often switch to my mechanical phenom for big games so I can keep up with all the other disciplines and play styles out there, I still love my pump but its nice to have options. But this is paintball and for all formats to coexist your going to need to except that not everyone plays the same style of game nor is everyone interested in playing the same style of game and once in a while your going to get lit up like a Christmas tree but the tools are there to even the playing field you just may need to put down that pump once and a while to do so, go buy a 98 if you don't already have one and pack it in your gear bag next to your SC marker for those days when your feeling outgunned just pull it out and walk all over the electros, you allready have the skills to do so you just need to raise you ROF to something higher than what a pump is capable of, or recruit players to make your team more diverse. But who know you may have fun busting out the semi for the occasional game after playing SC for so long it can be a refreshing change of pace.
Butch3r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2014, 04:38 PM   #24 (permalink)
aka FairLady
 
300z's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Ottawa, Ontario

CCM Fan
Brass N Wood Fan
Palmers Fan
RTP Fan
I think you are very significantly misunderstanding. I have posted some brief responses to your points, but to be honest - I think you should go over the thread again as you very clearly have missed some integral points.

If you did play with us, I can guarantee you would have a great time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butch3r View Post
Speaking as an outsider and after reading through the entire thread you guys are way too into your own style of play and no longer have an open mind for paintball, I keep reading that you want more attendance but you want everyone else to adopt your play style or at least if they want to play with/against you guys that you want them to play limited ammo witch is a complete elitist snobbish attitude to take to the sport.
We want more attendance for our field. We are perfectly understanding that people have play preferences. We are aware that we are set in our ways. We welcome players who are willing to make adjustments to try and fit in. If they are not interested, we would like them to have a group at our field that they can play with. We are the guys that switch teams in a big game to even out the teams. We want everyone to have fun, not just a handful of people. If a small group of people are ruining the game for everyone, they will be asked to join another group. We are not as restrictive as I believe you think we are. Generally if people are reasonable and pleasant they are very welcome to join.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butch3r View Post
The team I play for has pump/limited ammo (mag) players, milsim players (those who play dress up but don't play limited ammo) and we also have a few speed ball players. Being on such a diverse team I can tell you not everyone enjoys the limited ammo format that you seem to want to impose on everyone at your field.
see above point. It is perfectly fine to have a different mentality but that mentality does not match ours. We would like them to have not feel excluded and to have another option at our field if they do not wish to play our style.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butch3r View Post
If there is a douche with bounce padding then we light him up for example one guy that frequents our field wears a 3" block of foam under his jersey and is a real dick when it comes to taking hits (you could be 20' have a clear unobstructed line of sight on him, hit him dead centre of the chest and if it bounces he will still turn and shoot saying oh well it bounced so it dose not count) so now we just know that unless you have a clean shot at his mask just light him up, if he approaches us about it we just tell him when we got a clean hit on you and it bounces take it or take off the padding so we wont have to light you up just to get a break.
We generally do not play with individuals like this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butch3r View Post
So I go back to what Toad was saying about showing them how to beat them at their own game and teaching them the skills so they wont rely on high ROF or supper bounce padding (unless their pansies about taking a hit but after all this is PAIN'tball not hold your friends hand and skip through the daisies),
So wait, it was not okay when we expected them to conform to us, but now we are conforming to them?


Quote:
Originally Posted by Butch3r View Post
But this is paintball and for all formats to coexist your going to need to except that not everyone plays the same style
I agree.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butch3r View Post
once in a while your going to get lit up like a Christmas tree
This is not the type of sportsmanship we believe in. Overshooting to us is getting hit with 2 balls, not 4-5.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butch3r View Post
But who know you may have fun busting out the semi for the occasional game after playing SC for so long it can be a refreshing change of pace.
I love playing semi. I love mechanical guns. Most people with mechanical guns mix great with our group. I can't recall a time in the last 3 years were a mech shooter was excluded from our group.

Last edited by 300z; 07-07-2014 at 05:15 PM.
300z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2014, 04:52 PM   #25 (permalink)
MCB Member
 
Slappadapink's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Ottawa, Ontario

I'm sorry if I came off as elistest. My first post must have been unclear. I'm one of the first guys to say that everyone should play with whatever they want to play with. I use a single shot most of the time everywhere and don't hate on electros. I don't hate on open class pump players or magfed. I hate on unsportsmanlike conduct. Bounce padding on rec days. Over shooting renters. Chirping fellow players. That stuff I'm an elistest about. I mean if you had a open invitation pick up soccer game and dudes showed up being douchebags would you not ask them to leave? If they showed up with better gear and were way more skillful I wouldn't complain or ask them to only walk to make it more fair. My problem personally isn't with ROF or electros. It's unsportsmanlike play.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crimson Death View Post
I'm waiting for Walz. If you're going to do something do it right.
Feedback
Slappadapink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2014, 05:13 PM   #26 (permalink)
Walking without rhythm
 
Stilgar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: North of 49

CCM Fan
Brass N Wood Fan
Palmers Fan
Thanks very much for your posts Toad and Butch3r, both of you make valid points.

I would like to add a bit of clerification to the conversation.

Are we pump snobs? Yes. And I am ok with that.

I think of FD as a "private" group with a standing reservation at OXP.

Do we force everyone to conform to our standards? Only if those players intend to play with our group. However these same players are more than welcome to create their own group and play on another field. I play at OXP to have fun with friends. I like our style of play and I don't go to OXP to get frustrated and angry playing agains high ROF.

If I go to other fields and events I expect to play against any and all and I am ready, willing and capable. Those styles of play can be found anywhere. That I why I am happy to be snobbish if need be at OXP.

OXP has enough room for everyone (FD, rentals and other walk ons) all at the same time on seperate fields.

Our pump group attendance is not an issue. We maintain a solid 20-30 players per weekend. The issue I see is a dwindling number of the other two groups coming to the field. Rentals are down as well as a lack of electro and woodsballers. I can understand the walk on groups shrinking due to the perception that OXP is a pump only field (false) but the lack of rentals tells me the issue is not the style of play but something larger...

Stale fields?, lack of advertising?, saturated market?, and OXP being the only field in Ottawa that is run on the side by a man who does it for his customers and friends first and as a business second... Not saying all the other fields don't operate for their customers, just that they are the primary businesses of the owners and are run as such.

At the same time we are at the hight of the tourney circuit and vacation time. Last year walk ons picked up after Aug as the circuit wound down and people came back from their cottages. It will happen again this year.

What can we do to help?

Continue to be good sports. No matter what the situation or who or where we play.

Work on the fields. Change them up, build new...

Find ways to advertise. Word of mouth? Invite friends, whatever.

Stop analyzing the **** out of everything and play paintball.
Stilgar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2014, 05:48 PM   #27 (permalink)
aka FairLady
 
300z's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Ottawa, Ontario

CCM Fan
Brass N Wood Fan
Palmers Fan
RTP Fan
Please note - this thread is for Featuring death use primarily. We are trying to identify ways to be better. negative criticism from outsider is not really helpful and only complicates things.

If necessary, I will close the thread.
300z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2014, 05:57 PM   #28 (permalink)
Walking without rhythm
 
Stilgar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: North of 49

CCM Fan
Brass N Wood Fan
Palmers Fan
Quote:
Originally Posted by 300z View Post
Please note - this thread is for Featuring death use primarily. We are trying to identify ways to be better. negative criticism from outsider is not really helpful and only complicates things.

If necessary, I will close the thread.
Don't do that. Outside views are often helpful even if they seem negative to us at first. Some times we need to be told things we don't like but must listen to.
Stilgar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2014, 05:59 PM   #29 (permalink)
aka FairLady
 
300z's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Ottawa, Ontario

CCM Fan
Brass N Wood Fan
Palmers Fan
RTP Fan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stilgar View Post
Find ways to advertise. Word of mouth? Invite friends, whatever.
Interesting idea - bring a friend to the field day....

fields need work - we know, we are working on this.

Also - the varied game formats could appeal to the milsim crowd (bomb plant that we tried)

Last edited by 300z; 07-07-2014 at 06:03 PM.
300z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2014, 12:46 AM   #30 (permalink)
Active Member
 
rcjunky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011

CCM Fan
For the outsiders, I think for the most part when its said speedballers may get turned away from the pump group, it really isn't the marker of choice that's the issue. I think the real issue is simple a lack of turnout. There's a decent pump crowd, but not enough rentals and speedballers. Its tough for any 2 groups to play together, but there is plenty of space for 3 decent sized groups. I think playing together isn't a huge problem, its the players mentality. We're basically sterotyping the groups as its easier for us to discuss but doesn't look right to outsiders me thinks.
__________________
Andrew Burghgraef
I race toy cars, and you though paintball was expensive...

Rcjunky's feedback
rcjunky is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

  mcarterbrown.com » Paintball Teams » Team Forums » Featuring Death

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 04:23 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO
© MCB Network LLC