mcarterbrown.com  

First Strike Everything first strike related

Old 01-29-2013, 09:19 AM   #31 (permalink)
Dept of Redundancy Dept.

AKA Fan
Tons of research already done here:
PunkWorks Paintball - The Science Side of Paintball -
PunkWorks Paintball - The Science Side of Paintball -
MY MARKERS, 05 EGO, MacDev Clone, PM6, Chad George's first Luxe, Aftermath LUXE, EGO 11, E1, SFT and a few custom markers
Tcom022 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 11:38 AM   #32 (permalink)
Paintball Ballistician :P

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tcom022 View Post
You seemed to have missed a couple key points in this conversation:

We're discussing the optimal barrel length for First Strike rounds, and Punkworks has not done any testing in that department.

Bryce Larson (of Punkworks) is posting in this thread and I'm sure he would've brought up any relevant testing he and Cockerpunk had already done.

Cheers.
Originally Posted by Tom Kaye -in response to FS price critics
Unfortunately all of you have played the one "speedball" game of paintball for so long you can't conceive of other ways to do this and hence any new ideas seem stupid.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crimson Death View Post
First strike rounds punish lazy people. Don't be lazy and you won't have problems with first strikes.
uv_halo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 11:57 AM   #33 (permalink)
Post Whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by uv_halo View Post
Bryce Larson (of Punkworks) is posting in this thread and I'm sure he would've brought up any relevant testing he and Cockerpunk had already done.
yeah, I do tend to do that.

We have not tested length and FS rounds. It seems reasonable to me that the optimal barrel length might be shorter than paint due to the skirt on the FS round catching the air better.
brycelarson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 03:39 PM   #34 (permalink)

Any punkworks testing on barrel length and FS's yet? I guess it makes sense that a shorter barrel may be better but im hoping the data shows different. A short barrel would make for a lighter/tighter set up but would be minus points for cool factor...an 8 inch barrel on SAR12 or SR1, I dont even want to think about it.
shibyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 03:41 PM   #35 (permalink)
Post Whore

Naw i disagree i was hoping the shorter barrels would win out cause i think a stubby on my hammer would have been sick looking
Besides its much easier to work in and out of bunkers
Aka "wagz" on the field
http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/f...-feedback.html
Keebler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 04:46 PM   #36 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by shibyman View Post
Any punkworks testing on barrel length and FS's yet? I guess it makes sense that a shorter barrel may be better but im hoping the data shows different. A short barrel would make for a lighter/tighter set up but would be minus points for cool factor...an 8 inch barrel on SAR12 or SR1, I dont even want to think about it.
You should take a look at this link, and visit the googledoc page linked from it.

The bottom line is that longer barrels generally worked better than shorter barrels if you stay in the same category (i.e. short rifled vs long rifled; short smooth vs long smoth).

After all that, my only question for barrels currently on the market is: does a 20" .688 Rifled barrel do any better in terms of accuracy than a 14" identical barrel?
If we assume there is slippage as the rounds move down the barrel, and that it happens more in the first few inches, than in the last; then, it could be that a longer barrel may have even less slippage at the muzzle, and the RPM of the rounds may be closer to the actual twist rate of the barrel. But, this is pure speculation until someone does an indoor 75ft test with something like a bench-locked SAR12 (and it's 20" barrel), in the 290FPS range.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keebler View Post
Naw i disagree i was hoping the shorter barrels would win out cause i think a stubby on my hammer would have been sick looking
Besides its much easier to work in and out of bunkers
If you're worried about working in and out of bunkers, you're doing it wrong :P

I played at Robinhood's Spool field with my T9.1 (W/ Suppressor and stock) and had no problem holding my own.
Unfortunately all of you have played the one "speedball" game of paintball for so long you can't conceive of other ways to do this and hence any new ideas seem stupid.

Quote:
First strike rounds punish lazy people. Don't be lazy and you won't have problems with first strikes.
Old 03-19-2013, 04:50 PM   #37 (permalink)
Big guy in a wig

Fan of EMR
CCM Fan
Brass N Wood Fan
Palmers Fan
Quote:
Originally Posted by uv_halo View Post
If you're worried about working in and out of bunkers, you're doing it wrong :P
I was doing it wrong this weekend. Got into a snap shooting match in trenches with a few guys with electros and I had the SR1. I got 2 of them before I took one in the optics. A bit of support from the guys hiding in the bunkers behind me would have been nice. I did feel bad for the guy I hit in the forehead.

Feedback
The Flounder is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 05:03 PM   #38 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Flounder View Post
I was doing it wrong this weekend. Got into a snap shooting match in trenches with a few guys with electros and I had the SR1. I got 2 of them before I took one in the optics. A bit of support from the guys hiding in the bunkers behind me would have been nice. I did feel bad for the guy I hit in the forehead.
Been there, done that :P

I should be clear- we must accept that there are times when we must 'do it wrong', consider it a 'necessary evil'. I wouldn't base my equipment selections on it though. It's those few situations where I would consider a DAM to be the ideal (I'm skeptical of it's actual reliability and performance though- for FS rounds, I expect 99%+ reliability, and no rounds dropped/crushed during mag changes).

I would be thrilled if someone released a high capacity, compact bullpup with integrated air. Even if it was in .50. Pistols can't cut it for providing covering fire to allow for a tactical retreat.

Quote:
Old 03-19-2013, 05:11 PM   #39 (permalink)
Rec Poster

I plan on trying to run my mini in a compact setup (13ci with hopper and stub barrel) for what you mention there UV. I'll see how it goes once the snow melts.

Your somewhat right on the pistol thing, it really depends on the size game your playing. Locally I'm fine using my tpx to cover retreats, no way though in a larger game with more skilled players.
Rain-Man005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 05:25 PM   #40 (permalink)
Post Whore

I just mean its easier. I played standard paint with my hammer not to long ago to get used to changing mags. The stock barrel is a little shorter than 14. 10 or 12 can't remember but i was surprised at what a difference it made
Aka "wagz" on the field
http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/f...-feedback.html
Keebler is offline   Reply With Quote

mcarterbrown.com » Paintball » The Armory » First Strike