mcarterbrown.com

mcarterbrown.com (http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/)
-   First Strike (http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/first-strike/)
-   -   Optimal Barrel Length for FSR (http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/first-strike/224298-optimal-barrel-length-fsr.html)

240SX 01-23-2013 01:36 PM

Optimal Barrel Length for FSR
 
So I've heard that for a smooth barrel the optimal bore size if .685-.687, but what is the optimal barrel length?

sQuidvision 01-23-2013 01:49 PM

If it is anything like a paintball the acceleration is done within 7 or 8 inches

Nightstar 01-23-2013 05:06 PM

Too many variables to generalize. FWIW Flasc did some control bore length testing(paintball) that indicated different optimal barrel lengths for different markers Flasc Paintball!

Flasc also conducted some FSR bore diameter testing Flasc Paintball!

So .687ish and 7.5" to 10.5" depending on valve design and pressure.

Keebler 01-23-2013 05:27 PM

If it's directly from an mfg you can't trust it and their testing looks pretty bunkd

dundadun 01-23-2013 08:26 PM

Might also depend on low or high pressure from the gun, nelspot styled gun are harder on paint with short barrels etc.
Etc
Etc

What gun are you asking for?

Nightstar 01-24-2013 01:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Keebler (Post 2602074)
If it's directly from an mfg you can't trust it and their testing looks pretty bunkd

Ah yes, good old Bulverism.

I doubt Flasc has much incentive to misrepresent the linked test results as they do sell barrels in a variety of lengths and bores. Whether the testing was conducted with proper rigor I cannot say but it is a beginning.

PistolRogue 01-24-2013 01:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Keebler (Post 2602074)
If it's directly from an mfg you can't trust it and their testing looks pretty bunkd

Can't review their data at the moment, but the overall idea of a different optimal barrel length for a different gun holds some water. A large volume chamber/low pressure/high dwell gun will most likely operate better with a longer barrel while a small chamber/high pressure/short dwell gun will be better off with a shorter one.

That's for efficiency though. So far as FS accuracy goes, I don't think enough testing has been done in the area to really provide any conclusive answers. I would tend to believe that a 10-16" barrel would be best though, or at least better than anything longer/shorter.

240SX 01-24-2013 07:10 AM

Quote:

Might also depend on low or high pressure from the gun, nelspot styled gun are harder on paint with short barrels etc.
Etc
Etc

What gun are you asking for?
I'm asking to to decide what length of a front to put on my freak back on my hammer 7.

brycelarson 01-24-2013 08:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Keebler (Post 2602074)
If it's directly from an mfg you can't trust it and their testing looks pretty bunkd

I will vouch for Dave (Flasc)'s testing. He did it to help develop product - not to sell it. His barrels are made in response to the data he collects. I've had numerous conversations with the guy - you should trust his tests.

Quote:

Originally Posted by PistolRogue (Post 2602582)
Can't review their data at the moment, but the overall idea of a different optimal barrel length for a different gun holds some water. A large volume chamber/low pressure/high dwell gun will most likely operate better with a longer barrel while a small chamber/high pressure/short dwell gun will be better off with a shorter one.

That's for efficiency though. So far as FS accuracy goes, I don't think enough testing has been done in the area to really provide any conclusive answers. I would tend to believe that a 10-16" barrel would be best though, or at least better than anything longer/shorter.

Note - the info below is about paint.
Yeah, based on my testing the actual range for optimal control bore is 7.5-11.5". I rough that to 9.5" - the same as FLASC. There does seem to be some variation based on the operation of the gun. Notice I say operation - not pressure. It's really more about how the valve works, not the pressure the gun operates. For example, a mag has a shallower slope on it's power pulse than a cocker - even though the mag runs at higher pressures.

Now, that said, I think that FS rounds accelerate more quickly than paint since they have a nice cup at the back to catch the air. I haven't done the testing because FLASC has put tiberius barrels low on the priority list and hasn't built there complete kit yet.

Keebler 01-24-2013 09:03 AM

The biggest issue I have is they don't seem to have adjusted the velocity for each barrel.

However since Bryce weighed in I suppose I have to give them the benefit of doubt


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 03:06 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO
© MCB Network LLC