mcarterbrown.com  

First Strike Everything first strike related

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 01-23-2013, 02:36 PM   #1 (permalink)
MCB Member
 
240SX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Newfoundland, Canada

CCM Fan
Optimal Barrel Length for FSR

So I've heard that for a smooth barrel the optimal bore size if .685-.687, but what is the optimal barrel length?
__________________
Quote:
"Move swift as the Wind and closely-formed as the Wood. Attack like the Fire and be still as the Mountain."
Sun Tzu
Feedback:
eBay
username: bacreman, 100+, 100% positive
Tdotballers.com
http://www.tdotballers.com/forums/in...&#entry1062159
Mcarterbrown.com Feedback
http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/f...-feedback.html
240SX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 02:49 PM   #2 (permalink)
Post Whore
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Minnesota!

CCM Fan
If it is anything like a paintball the acceleration is done within 7 or 8 inches
__________________
sQuidvision is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 06:06 PM   #3 (permalink)
all work
 
Join Date: Jan 2011

Too many variables to generalize. FWIW Flasc did some control bore length testing(paintball) that indicated different optimal barrel lengths for different markers Flasc Paintball!

Flasc also conducted some FSR bore diameter testing Flasc Paintball!

So .687ish and 7.5" to 10.5" depending on valve design and pressure.
Nightstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 06:27 PM   #4 (permalink)
Post Whore
 
Join Date: Jun 2009

If it's directly from an mfg you can't trust it and their testing looks pretty bunkd
Keebler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 09:26 PM   #5 (permalink)
Boom. Yummy
 
dundadun's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: SoCal

Brass N Wood Fan
Kilt Fan
Might also depend on low or high pressure from the gun, nelspot styled gun are harder on paint with short barrels etc.
Etc
Etc

What gun are you asking for?
dundadun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 02:39 AM   #6 (permalink)
all work
 
Join Date: Jan 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keebler View Post
If it's directly from an mfg you can't trust it and their testing looks pretty bunkd
Ah yes, good old Bulverism.

I doubt Flasc has much incentive to misrepresent the linked test results as they do sell barrels in a variety of lengths and bores. Whether the testing was conducted with proper rigor I cannot say but it is a beginning.
Nightstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 02:43 AM   #7 (permalink)
Official LL5 Dolphin-Dive
 
PistolRogue's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Jackson, NJ
Send a message via AIM to PistolRogue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keebler View Post
If it's directly from an mfg you can't trust it and their testing looks pretty bunkd
Can't review their data at the moment, but the overall idea of a different optimal barrel length for a different gun holds some water. A large volume chamber/low pressure/high dwell gun will most likely operate better with a longer barrel while a small chamber/high pressure/short dwell gun will be better off with a shorter one.

That's for efficiency though. So far as FS accuracy goes, I don't think enough testing has been done in the area to really provide any conclusive answers. I would tend to believe that a 10-16" barrel would be best though, or at least better than anything longer/shorter.
__________________
Jay AKA Rogue Reservoir Dogs Scenario Paintball Team- Our $#&* is RIGOROUS!
My Gear For SALE!
Check Out My Mod Threads : Pirate DSG - SA17 Mods - Simple/Cheap/Free TPX Mods - The 'Big Damn Hero' DRV
FEEDBACK
PistolRogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 08:10 AM   #8 (permalink)
MCB Member
 
240SX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Newfoundland, Canada

CCM Fan
Quote:
Might also depend on low or high pressure from the gun, nelspot styled gun are harder on paint with short barrels etc.
Etc
Etc

What gun are you asking for?
I'm asking to to decide what length of a front to put on my freak back on my hammer 7.
__________________
Quote:
"Move swift as the Wind and closely-formed as the Wood. Attack like the Fire and be still as the Mountain."
Sun Tzu
Feedback:
eBay
username: bacreman, 100+, 100% positive
Tdotballers.com
http://www.tdotballers.com/forums/in...&#entry1062159
Mcarterbrown.com Feedback
http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/f...-feedback.html
240SX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 09:31 AM   #9 (permalink)
Post Whore
 
brycelarson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Minnesota

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keebler View Post
If it's directly from an mfg you can't trust it and their testing looks pretty bunkd
I will vouch for Dave (Flasc)'s testing. He did it to help develop product - not to sell it. His barrels are made in response to the data he collects. I've had numerous conversations with the guy - you should trust his tests.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PistolRogue View Post
Can't review their data at the moment, but the overall idea of a different optimal barrel length for a different gun holds some water. A large volume chamber/low pressure/high dwell gun will most likely operate better with a longer barrel while a small chamber/high pressure/short dwell gun will be better off with a shorter one.

That's for efficiency though. So far as FS accuracy goes, I don't think enough testing has been done in the area to really provide any conclusive answers. I would tend to believe that a 10-16" barrel would be best though, or at least better than anything longer/shorter.
Note - the info below is about paint.
Yeah, based on my testing the actual range for optimal control bore is 7.5-11.5". I rough that to 9.5" - the same as FLASC. There does seem to be some variation based on the operation of the gun. Notice I say operation - not pressure. It's really more about how the valve works, not the pressure the gun operates. For example, a mag has a shallower slope on it's power pulse than a cocker - even though the mag runs at higher pressures.

Now, that said, I think that FS rounds accelerate more quickly than paint since they have a nice cup at the back to catch the air. I haven't done the testing because FLASC has put tiberius barrels low on the priority list and hasn't built there complete kit yet.
__________________
-Bryce Larson
brycecollinlarson@gmail.com
Feedback
brycelarson is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 10:03 AM   #10 (permalink)
Post Whore
 
Join Date: Jun 2009

The biggest issue I have is they don't seem to have adjusted the velocity for each barrel.

However since Bryce weighed in I suppose I have to give them the benefit of doubt

Last edited by Keebler; 01-24-2013 at 10:08 AM.
Keebler is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

  mcarterbrown.com » Paintball » The Armory » First Strike

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 05:44 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO
© MCB Network LLC