mcarterbrown.com  

First Strike Everything first strike related

Old 02-14-2013, 11:43 PM   #51 (permalink)
Banned

AKA Fan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightstar View Post
All you have to do is just remove those limitations and I can describe the mechanism easily.

I'll try to do it within the limits imposed.

The barrel suspended between a pair of bearing races probably doesn't need any explanation. Bicycle headset races because they are available inexpensively in high quality and about the right ID.

As for the spin drive I envision a pneumatic die grinder turning a rubber wheel tensioned against the side of the suspended barrel.

The trick is timing the spool up with the shot, as well as determining what pressure and volume is required to produce the desired RPM. Perhaps separate air circuits with independent regulators and dump chambers so that timing and RPM are adjustable independent of the projectile propellent. Bolt position times the spin by triggering a discharge either mechanically or via hall effect.

Alternatively we could wind a constant force spring using a gas powered cyclone type mechanism with a release tripped by a sear in the bolt path.

I probably made myself clear as mud :/
Oh. All that crap was self explanatory. How do you make it?
alpha434 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 12:25 AM   #52 (permalink)
all work

LOL Your the expert in making things, I'm just the guy that breaks them.
Nightstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 02:45 PM   #53 (permalink)
all work

There's definitely more to go wrong with the complex mechanism necessary to spin a barrel, but I don't think it's a red herring.

If we want to investigate the influence of spin on FSR it would be nice to be able to vary the rate of spin independently of projectile velocity. I don't know how to accomplish that without spinning the barrel.

This might not be practical to take on the field but on the bench it could help answer some questions.
Old 02-15-2013, 04:58 PM   #54 (permalink)
Banned

AKA Fan
Spinning the barrel... Spins the projectile mechanically.

I don't think anyone here is mistaking paintball for lead bullets. In fact, the spinning barrel idea has less base in firearms than rifling.

Therefore, I'm confused with what your comment was implying.

My opinion is that a spinning barrel would be the absolute most complex way to successfully and reliably spin the round before barrel exit.
alpha434 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 06:37 PM   #55 (permalink)
all work

Quote:
Originally Posted by alpha434 View Post
My opinion is that a spinning barrel would be the absolute most complex way to successfully and reliably spin the round before barrel exit.
/agree completely.

I was saying that it's worth doing to examine spin effects on FSR regardless of complexity. It might not be a practical solution in the field though.
Old 02-16-2013, 06:56 PM   #56 (permalink)
Brass Monkey Customs

Brass N Wood Fan
Kilt Fan
Spinning a barrel is not too difficult, provided you *DO NOT* intend to try and use it on the field.

Alpha...

2" ID AL tube.
1" ID, 2" OD ball bearings.
Slot the 2" ID tube to allow for a belt to be looped around the barrel.
Mount the tube to a fixture of any sort.
Use an Automag valve to fire the ball. Chop the Mag body and rail so it lines up with the barrel suspended in the bearings.
Use a small motor to drive the belt/barrel.

I think that will do what you want. Though it will be a single shot contraption.

Ty

Brass Monkey Customs

Brass Freak compatible and Equation inserts in .665, .670, .675, .678, .680 and .685

Still selling brass tubing, with .678 barrel stock now available!

My feedback: MCB - eBay - AO
tymcneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 07:09 PM   #57 (permalink)
It's All In The Reflexes.

Send a message via AIM to Crimson Death

CCM Fan
Brass N Wood Fan
Quote:
Originally Posted by tymcneer View Post
Spinning a barrel is not too difficult, provided you *DO NOT* intend to try and use it on the field.

Alpha...

2" ID AL tube.
Use an Automag valve to fire the ball. Chop the Mag body and rail so it lines up with the barrel suspended in the bearings.

I think that will do what you want. Though it will be a single shot contraption.

Ty
Cool make one for my SR-1 =p
Crimson Death is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 07:46 PM   #58 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tymcneer View Post

Alpha...

2" ID AL tube.

Ty
My idea involved using a stock barrel, and cutting it in two pieces, putting a bearing on each end that was cut, and inserting both assemblies in a bigger tube with an ID that matches the bearings OD.

This way you could mount it on the barrel-compatible marker, and I guess spin the barrel with a cordless dremel strapped to the marker and a rubber friction wheel.
wingbatwu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 11:41 PM   #59 (permalink)
DSA
One in the Pipe!

Send a message via Skype™ to DSA

Given the known characteristics of the FSR I would think a rifled insert "freak" length or greater would be more than sufficient to induce the desired rate of spin. The rest of the barrel being smooth bore shouldn't have much of a negative impact on the already spinning round. If this works imagine the possibilities?? FSR Inserts for your favorite barrel! Ty I have just the barrel for this project

My Feedback Redux Knowledge Base My Email Line SI Knowledge Base
Quote:
Originally Posted by russc View Post

All that is necessary for evil to triumph is for good men to shoot nothing.
DSA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 01:39 PM   #60 (permalink)
Big guy in a wig

Fan of EMR
CCM Fan
Brass N Wood Fan
Palmers Fan
Quote:
Originally Posted by DSA View Post
Given the known characteristics of the FSR I would think a rifled insert "freak" length or greater would be more than sufficient to induce the desired rate of spin. The rest of the barrel being smooth bore shouldn't have much of a negative impact on the already spinning round. If this works imagine the possibilities?? FSR Inserts for your favorite barrel! Ty I have just the barrel for this project
Hammerhead called that the widow maker.
That evening, the cruise director gave me a very stern lecture.
Feedback
The Flounder is online now   Reply With Quote

mcarterbrown.com » Paintball » The Armory » First Strike