mcarterbrown.com  

First Strike Everything first strike related

Old 02-02-2013, 05:11 PM   #1 (permalink)
Boom. Yummy

Brass N Wood Fan
Kilt Fan
Shooting FS for the 1st time

Finally got to shoot fs rounds in a more controlled environment.

Went over to Gman's place and shot about $20 bucks worth through his Tib 9.1
-ver 1 adjustable Tib rail
-.683 rifled barrel, no attachments
- 4x scope
-Masks placed at 100'(+30 yards), 150'(50 yards), and 200'(+65 yards)

My first time really using scopes too for that matter. The stock tib scope was hard to use with a mask, hard to get it to line up the same way or achieve the same cheek weld every time. Eye relief is really important! I might try a pistol or shotgun scope as my first purchase, something with lots of eye relief. Gman had a second 4x scope that I actually used to shoot with that was much easier.

I'm not sure what his scope's elevation was set at, but I found that 100' was 6 clicks on the ver1 tib riser.
150' was 8 clicks.
and finally 200' was 11 clicks.

It took me on average 4 shots to get zeroed in for distance mostly, the 200' shots took more to figure out wind compensation.

Once zeroed, I easily put shot after shot onto a mask at 100' and 150'
At 200' I got one mask hit, one that would of been a topOnoggin hit, and the rest were within inches of the mask(above, side to side or below)

That was not even from a bench or clamp. That was just me sitting on the ground with front arm(left)'s elbow in my gut.

I noticed that if I was zeroed at 100', all I had to do to get a mask hit at 150' was aim at what would of been the person's lower sternum(and compensate for wind)

Also, dukie's first strike pez dispenser's worked great. Occasionally I accidentally thumbed off two rounds instead of one, but they both fell into my hand naturally. When there was only one round left in the pez dispenser, it did seem like it wanted to slide out, maybe because the there isn't a rounded nose to hold onto it's fins?

My thoughts on all this?
Trying to recreate all these conditions and accuracy on a field without a designated spotter would probably require too much patience for me. If I can't easily hit someone at 200' on a field then I would much rather close the 50' gap to 150', and take a much more confident shot.

I think the only time I would be shooting 200' or more on a field would be because of a stale mate or bottlenecking that players stopped moving.

because of that, and since I would get bored being a designated sniper(would rather use my pistols) I hope I can get a rail cut and angled for 150'. Something much smaller in profile than any of the adjustable rails.

With a 4x scope I should be able to see enough inside the reticle to make compensated shots at 100' and 200'. And anything less than or close enough to 100' I'd rather close the gap and use a reg paintball with.

Also need to figure out that analog range finder. All I really would need is 150' marked. That would let me know if it's closer or farther for compensating or to decide to just move closer.

Finally getting to use mil dots, I think I could get used to them. A tad difficult to use on a moving target, but really if I can just remember 150' measurement I should be good.

Thanks Gman!
dundadun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 09:57 PM   #2 (permalink)
Ask me How!

My pleasure brother! Glad I could help. You really were able to zero in that scope. Hitting those masks dead on. You got to see for yourself the power of the First Strike!
And even though you only got the one mask hit at at 200 ft, the others missed by inches and would have hits. Plus it was windy that day.

Facebook / Twitter
GMAN1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 11:47 AM   #3 (permalink)
Seasoned Member

Send a message via AIM to zenmic Send a message via MSN to zenmic Send a message via Yahoo to zenmic

Eye relief is REALLY important on any scope.
zenmic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 09:24 PM   #4 (permalink)
Ask me How!

Quote:
Originally Posted by zenmic View Post
Eye relief is REALLY important on any scope.
Indeed it is. That's why I really like the AIM fiber optic scope because the eye relief is larger than the Tiberius scope.

Facebook / Twitter
Old 02-04-2013, 08:41 AM   #5 (permalink)
Seasoned Member

Send a message via AIM to zenmic Send a message via MSN to zenmic Send a message via Yahoo to zenmic

Finally got someone else to try it, eh? The one that has a notch and post, iron sights on top, right? Got a picture and price?
zenmic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 10:32 AM   #6 (permalink)
MCB Member

If you want a scope, look for a "scout" type scope. They are designed to be mounted on the barrel of a rifle, have the much longer eye relief, and tend to be in the 4x range. You may have trouble finding a scout scope with a mil dot though, as their intended uses are opposite.

If you have a mil dot reticle, you have a range finder of sorts. You have to measure the height of a known structure or person against the dots and figure out the equivalent distance. It takes some practice, and you have to make sure that the person standing there isn't some 4 foot 13 year old, versus some 6'6" skinny guy with no pack. However, if you are actually hunting for a particular known person in the back field, you are on. On a Leupold duplex, the change in crosshair thickness has a specific distance (1.5 mils, iirc). Depending on how your subject fits in the narrow part of the crosshairs, you have an idea as to the range.
Old 02-06-2013, 11:08 AM   #7 (permalink)
Sorry, that's classified.

Nice! First strikes aside, how do you like the tib 9.1? I'm sorta eyeballing one, might trade for it. Gman you can give me your thoughts too
Donut SD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 11:39 AM   #8 (permalink)

Crossbow scopes are the way to go. They are designed for an arrow that travels at roughly 300 fps.

I have a 9.1 now (started with a 9.0) and love it. I have the Lapco rifled 683 barrel and tank in stock. As well a newly acquired Hawke XB1 crossbow scope that is just too cool. The scope is speed adjustable and 1.5-5 X. The reticles are every 20yds to 100. It sits on top of a APRv2 and a 1 inch riser. T9.1's seem to be going pretty cheap these days due to new FS sniper platforms coming on the market.

I dont have to tell you how much I like my setup... accuracy at range and very consistent ? Whats not to like about that ;-)
ruraldawgs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 12:17 PM   #9 (permalink)
Post Whore

CCM Fan
Lots of info on the Tiberius forums and the aces sniper forum in detail on the 9.1. I have a thread on the 9.1 learning curve that chronicals my learning how the gun worked and what I learned.
casper is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 10:36 PM   #10 (permalink)
Ask me How!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donut SD View Post
Nice! First strikes aside, how do you like the tib 9.1? I'm sorta eyeballing one, might trade for it. Gman you can give me your thoughts too
It has been my primary marker since it was first released by Tiberius (had an A5 before that). I absolutely love it. As long as it is cleaned, greased up, and well maintained it will work great. I have never tried it with a hopper but have not heard good reviews about Hoppers. The magazines however i have never had a problem with. I use a scope that has 4x32 magnification (like the Tiberius scope but with a larger eye relief). This scope has open fiber optic site on top so I can use it with regular paint.

I personally mainly use first strikes with it but have in several occasions used regular paint when playing walk on. Shoots great. Don't really have any issues with breaks, not that its never happened but it is rare.

Facebook / Twitter

mcarterbrown.com » Paintball » The Armory » First Strike