mcarterbrown.com  

First Strike Everything first strike related

Old 06-01-2013, 09:08 PM   #121 (permalink)
Big guy in a wig

Fan of EMR
CCM Fan
Brass N Wood Fan
Palmers Fan
Quote:
Originally Posted by wingbatwu View Post
Slightly OT but does anyone know if anyone offers custom rifling on MCB? I d love to get a SS Freak insert rifled...
You may be in luck, but you may have to wait awhile. When I find out more I will point you in the right direction.
Feedback
The Flounder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 10:27 PM   #122 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by uv_halo View Post
I agree. You did sizer (/short control bore) testing didn't you? If so, how did it influence consistency when compared to single bore (non-underbore)?
I know there are a lot of people who don't like the idea of using a single-shot bolt action rifle. I love it because of the rifle's build and its reliability. I don't break paint and or the complications that a magazine can bring to a paintball gun. Those advantages are what drew me to the gun in the first place. Over time, however, I have discovered another big advantage to breach loading first strikes.

Over the past months I have put thousands of first strikes through the SR1. Every single one has passed from my hand into the breach. I can feel how tight or lose that round is in the breach. Magazines serve to hide the differences in round-size variations of the rounds from shooters. I know because I also have and use a T9.1. It took me awhile to begin to see that the round size itself was having an impact on my shooting. Once that dawned on me, I really began paying attention. I have the advantage of feeling the tightness of each and every round and then getting immediate accuracy feedback when I pull the trigger. With rounds in a magazine all you really know is that for some reason you had a flier. The round is already downrange and it can hard to figure out exactly what happened. Usually the consistency of the gun or the shooter that gets blamed but that's not always what is going on.

Bill, from CCM, always told me that he thought sizing rounds was important which was why he he went to all of the effort of creating the shells for the SR1. I have to admit that I may not have paid enough attention to his words at the very beginning. Initially, I didn't use sizers on the field because I didn't want to have to keep track of them in the middle of a firefight. When I transitioned over to a Hammerhead barrel and began using the fins I began to notice something. If the round was too tight in the breach, that round tended to impact in a way that opened up my pattern a bit. The tighter it was, the more it had a propensity to be a bit off target.

Some posters feel that the fins are a design flaw. I love them. I use the .686 fin to size every single first strike. I want to know exactly what each round will feel like when I put it in the breach. That's why I don't use a separate sizer. If the round slides easily into the .686 breach then it goes in one box. If it doesn't then it goes in the .688 box. About 75%-80% of the paint goes through a .686 just fine. With experience you just know what the round should feel like. Over time, when I have accumulated enough of the larger paint, I switch fins and use it.

The smaller rounds shot through the .688 don't result in as tight a groups as when they are shot through the .686, but most players might not really see a difference so for those not sorting by size I usually suggest the larger fin. Players who don't sort their paint and shoot through the .686 fin will get really good results 75-80% of the time, but the tighter the round in the breach the more the chance for variance. How big is the difference? It's small at 50-60 yards. At 80-90 yards the differences get bigger.

Remember too, all these results are strictly tied the SR1. Your mileage may vary.
Trinity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 02:25 AM   #123 (permalink)
Ranger of the South

Hey Trinity,

Did you do any significant testing with smoothbores? I have the smaller inserts for a Freak kit (up to 0.684) and a complete Flasc kit. I'm trying to see what else I need to save money for besides FS rounds. Thanks!

My MCB Feedback
longhornjake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 01:52 PM   #124 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by longhornjake View Post
Hey Trinity,

Did you do any significant testing with smoothbores? I have the smaller inserts for a Freak kit (up to 0.684) and a complete Flasc kit. I'm trying to see what else I need to save money for besides FS rounds. Thanks!
I shot through lots of smooth bores on both the Tiberius and SR1 platforms using many different barrel lengths. I am convinced rifling is far superior for first strikes. I am not trying to sell Hammerhead barrels for them. I don't think Hammerhead did anything to develop a special first strike barrel; it just happened to have a product in place when first strikes were introduced. In the future we may see a barrel with rifling specifically designed for first strikes or (and even more likely)!we will see a new and improved type of round. So far though, the best results I have been able to achieve has been with a Hammerhead barrel and a .686 and .688 fin.
Trinity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 02:52 PM   #125 (permalink)
MCB Member

CCM Fan
I concur with Trinity.

Of all the barrels I have made and experimental things I have tried The HH has been the most effective barrel that I have bought and tried. The Endgame was also a good barrel but it's not in the market yet . There are at least a half a dozen maybe that I haven't had a chance to try out.

I think there is plenty of room for barrel manufactures to try their wares. If I can make experimental barrels in our limited capacity I know barrel manufactures could do the same with a lot less effort.

If you have the best barrel I believe FS shooters will support your efforts. It's about accuracy at this point. I can build my product to work with your product.
“Do not yearn too much for a sword made by a famous smith. This is because even if you give a good man a sword worth ten thousand coppers, he will not be able to beat a hundred men each holding a spear worth a hundred coppers.” - Asakura Takakage Toshikage, 1462-1482

Ecc. 9-10
Whatever your hand finds to do, do it with your might; for there is no work, nor device, nor knowledge, nor wisdom, in the grave, where you go.

NEW STORE http://store.chipleymachine.com/

DOOR GUNNER handgun mounts for gunsafes.

http://www.machineshopdpm.com/
CCMachinist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 09:21 PM   #126 (permalink)
Brass Monkey Customs

Brass N Wood Fan
Kilt Fan
Quote:
Originally Posted by wingbatwu View Post
Slightly OT but does anyone know if anyone offers custom rifling on MCB? I d love to get a SS Freak insert rifled...
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Flounder View Post
You may be in luck, but you may have to wait awhile. When I find out more I will point you in the right direction.
*If* the CNC rifling project works, I would *not* want to run it through anything as thin as an insert, as it will deform the insert, rather than cut the pattern into it. Inserts *might* be able to be created by rifling a heavy wall piece of barrel stock, and then turning it to Freak OD.

Ty

Brass Monkey Customs

Brass Freak compatible and Equation inserts in .665, .670, .675, .678, .680 and .685

Current Freak compatible inserts in stock:
.665 = 0, .670 = 16, .675 = 3, .678 = 4, .680 = 4, .682 = 4, .685 = 11

Still selling brass tubing, with .678 barrel stock now available!

My feedback: MCB - eBay - AO
tymcneer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 09:03 AM   #127 (permalink)
MCB Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donut SD View Post
Well for smooth bore applications the inserts you've made I believe are fine some will still use them for standard paint. And hey, it's fun.
Right. Sizers as a detent / anti-rollout device are fine. That's a great application. Just doesn't apply when you're talking about rifling. Either the round is going to hit the rifling - in which case you don't need the sizer, or it's not going to hit the rifling - in which case you don't need the rifling.
brycelarson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 09:26 AM   #128 (permalink)
Sorry, that's classified.

Quote:
Originally Posted by brycelarson View Post
Right. Sizers as a detent / anti-rollout device are fine. That's a great application. Just doesn't apply when you're talking about rifling. Either the round is going to hit the rifling - in which case you don't need the sizer, or it's not going to hit the rifling - in which case you don't need the rifling.
After having used a smoothbore this last saturday with fsr for the first time. I will say that, yes. Smoothbore will do the job but not in the fashion that it could be. My testing and application is very minimal at this point. I'm still shopping around for a rifled barrel. I want to go the hammer head route but a lot seem to be on that boat. I heard someone mention a lapco rifled barrel? I haven't found it yet, point me in the right direction. I'm willing to check it out if it exists.

For sale!--->Polished clear and pink Luxe 2.0, TiPX (to be posted...), Works project (to be posted...)
Quote:
Originally Posted by matteekay View Post
Shoulda Gone to Bacci.™
Donut SD is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 11:28 AM   #129 (permalink)
Fortune and Glory

Send a message via AIM to Crimson Death

CCM Fan
Brass N Wood Fan
after using a HH in my backyard I could tell a noticeable difference compared to any of my smooth bores.
Crimson Death is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 12:57 PM   #130 (permalink)
Paintball Ballistician :P

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donut SD View Post
After having used a smoothbore this last saturday with fsr for the first time. I will say that, yes. Smoothbore will do the job but not in the fashion that it could be. My testing and application is very minimal at this point. I'm still shopping around for a rifled barrel. I want to go the hammer head route but a lot seem to be on that boat. I heard someone mention a lapco rifled barrel? I haven't found it yet, point me in the right direction. I'm willing to check it out if it exists.
Which gun are you using? If it's the T9.1:

LAPCO produces the Tiberius Arms Rifled Barrels (for the T8.1 and the T9.1) (it's got both companies branding on them) and, they come in at .683". I know they can be found at Rockstar Tactical and I believe other places as well. They've recently started producing them in Autococker threads as well (I believe they do not have the Tiberius branding on them) but, I don't know if they are available for sale from third party vendors yet.

Hammerhead is seeing a lot of interest lately because they're rifling appears so far to be just as effective as the LAPCO/Tiberius pattern but, without the barrel fouling or, reduced velocity. Unfortunately, they do not produce an autococker, non-finned barrel. Personally, I'm hoping the .683 offering isn't the final offering from LAPCO. The anno/bore finish is amazing on their barrels.
Originally Posted by Tom Kaye -in response to FS price critics
Unfortunately all of you have played the one "speedball" game of paintball for so long you can't conceive of other ways to do this and hence any new ideas seem stupid.
uv_halo is offline   Reply With Quote

mcarterbrown.com » Paintball » The Armory » First Strike