mcarterbrown.com  

First Strike Everything first strike related

Old 03-15-2013, 02:40 PM   #11 (permalink)
Post Whore

Ahh gotcha. Next question. Fsr are 685 right? And the best barrel is a 688? How is it that grooves even interacted with the fsr enough to impart spin?

What did you guys use for the HH that doesn't require fins? I dont see a 14" one piece on the website
Aka "wagz" on the field
http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/f...-feedback.html

Last edited by Keebler; 03-15-2013 at 02:48 PM.
Keebler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 03:06 PM   #12 (permalink)
Paintball Ballistician :P

It may very well be the case that you don't need to get these super tight to get them to spin. On the other hand, three thousandths of an inch (.0015" on either end of a diameter) isn't terribly loose given the inflexibility of the rounds and the barrel.

Rockstar Tactical sells an 11.5" (length without tip) T9.1 Hammerhead Barrel.
Originally Posted by Tom Kaye -in response to FS price critics
Unfortunately all of you have played the one "speedball" game of paintball for so long you can't conceive of other ways to do this and hence any new ideas seem stupid.
uv_halo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 03:21 PM   #13 (permalink)
Post Whore

That's Strange that its not on the hh site. Unless im blind. Ill look into that. I wonder what other threads its available in
Aka "wagz" on the field
Old 03-15-2013, 03:38 PM   #14 (permalink)

As far as one piece barrels go, Tippman 98 and A-5 (the freedom fighter line), the Carmatech barrel (sold with the SAR12) and, that's it.
Unfortunately all of you have played the one "speedball" game of paintball for so long you can't conceive of other ways to do this and hence any new ideas seem stupid.
Old 03-15-2013, 03:43 PM   #15 (permalink)
Post Whore

Hmm. Lapco has a 686 rifled 14" as well right? That wasn't on the test either
Aka "wagz" on the field
Old 03-15-2013, 03:51 PM   #16 (permalink)

I could be way off here but if the first strike is .685 and the barrel is .688 that could give a slight bit of room and since we know that first strikes will spin while traveling through the air...could it be the slight amount of room allows for air to contact the fins producing a little spin in barrel? Maybe the slight contact with the rifling adds a little to the spin if it conacts the seem? I think its safe to say the .688 is a good size from the test results but im curious as to why and if it could be further improved.
shibyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 03:51 PM   #17 (permalink)

Are you thinking of the LAPCO STR8Shot? If so, that's a smoothbore barrel offered in .686 and .693
Old 03-15-2013, 03:57 PM   #18 (permalink)
Post Whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by shibyman View Post
I could be way off here but if the first strike is .685 and the barrel is .688 that could give a slight bit of room and since we know that first strikes will spin while traveling through the air...could it be the slight amount of room allows for air to contact the fins producing a little spin in barrel? Maybe the slight contact with the rifling adds a little to the spin if it conacts the seem? I think its safe to say the .688 is a good size from the test results but im curious as to why and if it could be further improved.
No if that were the case than the stock spyderr barrel for the h7 would be best of all. No this barrel is clearly doing SOMETHING i just cant figure out why..

Yes halo that may be what im thinking of
Aka "wagz" on the field
Old 03-15-2013, 04:02 PM   #19 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by shibyman View Post
How much room are we talking here? If the round is centered, you're talking a max of .0015" on either side of the round. So, the amount of air making it past the round is going to be very minimal and, more likely to be traveling from rear to front given the pressure differential.

It appears that Hammerhead simply applied what they had tooling for (after all their R&D for regular paintballs) and LAPCO either went straight off of what Tiberius spec'ed for them or, they assumed they'd need a tight bore and went from there.

I don't know what the truly optimal bore size, or groove depth would be.
For all I know, a polygonal rifling pattern (like the Armson's but going in the opposite direction) could be best. But, to answer that would require someone to build lots of barrels and these types of barrels are more difficult to build than the smoothbore barrels we're accustomed to paying for.
Old 03-15-2013, 04:07 PM   #20 (permalink)
Post Whore

Got someone in mind halo? Lol i doooooo. Btw you gonna be there tomorrow?
Aka "wagz" on the field

mcarterbrown.com » Paintball » The Armory » First Strike