mcarterbrown.com  

First Strike Everything first strike related

Old 04-10-2013, 04:23 AM   #41 (permalink)
Paintball Ballistician :P

again, rifling is in the wrong direction.
Originally Posted by Tom Kaye -in response to FS price critics
Unfortunately all of you have played the one "speedball" game of paintball for so long you can't conceive of other ways to do this and hence any new ideas seem stupid.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crimson Death View Post
First strike rounds punish lazy people. Don't be lazy and you won't have problems with first strikes.
uv_halo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 09:49 AM   #42 (permalink)
Post Whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by SD.Pump View Post
Wait, did the HH barrel show a 100 fps efficiency increase? That has to be a typo.
nope. It's not.
brycelarson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 09:21 PM   #43 (permalink)
Modder at heart

Quote:
Originally Posted by SD.Pump View Post
Dang. Then again, I'm never going to shoot that many Fs's.

Wonder how a cheap barrel like this would work:
NEW 16" Paintball Spyder markers Tactical Rifled Barrel -Black Color 16 inch

http://bit.ly/ZlQL9F
Yeah, rifling is in the wrong direction, and I believe the bore is a .695
Danny D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 09:38 AM   #44 (permalink)
Post Whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by uv_halo View Post
A few reasons:
  • I believe that the .688 is the same rifling pattern used in the Carmatech SAR 12
  • The one barrel they make in .684 is for small bore regular paint (according to Hammerhead).
  • The Bore itself of the .684 isn't that much different than the Tiberius .683 (they use similar rifling styles) so, there shouldn't be a significant difference in performance.
  • The .684 relies upon the use of a "Shark Fin" Thread Adapter / Breach Adapter which may intrduce new variables when comparing to other, 1-pc barrels.
  • and Finally...they don't make a .684 for the Tiberius (the test gun).
I was just on the phone with them and they said that the barrel for the sar12 isnt any different than their typical rifled barrels other than it being 20inches and no fins.
Aka "wagz" on the field
http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/f...-feedback.html
Keebler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 10:05 AM   #45 (permalink)
Big guy in a wig

Fan of EMR
CCM Fan
Brass N Wood Fan
Palmers Fan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keebler View Post
I was just on the phone with them and they said that the barrel for the sar12 isnt any different than their typical rifled barrels other than it being 20inches and no fins.
But did you ask them if they will sell the barrel to the general public?

Feedback
The Flounder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 10:17 AM   #46 (permalink)
Post Whore

The sar12 barrel is not for sale through hh. But you can buy it separately for 120 at carmatech.net it doesn't list its bore size however. So my plan would be to buy one of the following, the 16 inch .688 with no fins or muzzle, or the 14inch .688 with no muzzle and no fins or the .684 with no muzzle and no fins. Then i would have it rethreaded. But i may hold off since neither of the 14s were tested against the 16.

So when they say the sar12 barrel isnt any different then the typical barrels they sell im not sure which bore size he was referring to. But he did specify that the rifling pattern is unchanged.
Aka "wagz" on the field
Old 04-19-2013, 10:25 AM   #47 (permalink)
MCB Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by brycelarson View Post
nope. It's not.
I ran into that last weekend. It was the first time I had my A1 fins to go with my HH kit when playing with my only angel. I have a custom mofo barrel section that gives a 10" OAL instead of the standard 14". My mags really prefer the 14", so I wanted to try the 10" and an overbored fin on my A1 that had last been chronied (at ~270) with the stock WDP (long and overbored) barrel. It was shooting in the 320s and I had some cranking to do.

As far as contacting the bore, real overbored firearms have been noted for projectiles essentially bouncing down the barrel. As gas flows through quickly on the wide side, the static pressure is going down, while the static pressure builds on the blocked side. The projectile is basically unstable in the barrel and slapping back and forth. On a rifled barrel, the groove will kick the projectile in the direction of the grooving. Even if a ball rolls away as it bounces, it will average multiple kicks in the right direction.

Besides just flopping down the barrel, you have to wonder if the first strike skirt expands to grip the barrel at all, such as the Minie ball design. If it doesn't, maybe it should.
Old 04-19-2013, 10:34 AM   #48 (permalink)
Red - Black

CCM Fan
So - what would happen if you used a First Strike ball - with a Rifled Barrel (correct Direction) - that was ported (Correct Direction) and had an Apex Tip installed (Correct Spin)?

TF

TF's MCB Trust.
Talfuchre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 10:42 AM   #49 (permalink)
MCB Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talfuchre View Post
So - what would happen if you used a First Strike ball - with a Rifled Barrel (correct Direction) - that was ported (Correct Direction) and had an Apex Tip installed (Correct Spin)?

https://encrypted-tbn1.gstatic.com/i...MWd7v-iaTDXpxH

TF
The Apex can only spin perpendicular to the bore, whereas rifling is co-axial with the bore. I would like to see that with an FSR on high speed camera though.
Old 04-19-2013, 10:57 AM   #50 (permalink)
Post Whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talfuchre View Post

https://encrypted-tbn1.gstatic.com/i...MWd7v-iaTDXpxH

TF
You would have a busted first strike at your muzzle most likely. And why would the direction of porting matter. We already know spiral porting doesn't do anything i dont think it would effect anything at all. Unless you mean stufd like reverse porting like what hammerhead does on their muzzles tk supposedly redirect the pressure wave away from the muzzle back towards tgw shooter? I havent seen any real testing to validate that but my guess is it doesnt impact anything either. Possibly the sound signature? But i still doubt it
Aka "wagz" on the field

mcarterbrown.com » Paintball » The Armory » First Strike