mcarterbrown.com  

First Strike Everything first strike related

Old 03-24-2013, 10:28 PM   #1 (permalink)
Post Whore

Wind speed adjustments

Probably far more advanced then what is necessary for paintball. But im bored and i thought it would be cool to discuss wind speed correction. Anyone come across any reading material on this topic? I imagine that the air rifle community has some resources on this. It would be nice nice to see what the formula would look like for such a slow moving object with such a terrible BC
Aka "wagz" on the field
http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/f...-feedback.html
Keebler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 12:20 PM   #2 (permalink)

I think it will be easier to adjust for wind but using hold off rather than adjusting the scope itself. As for how much to hold off will have to be judged by training in various wind speeds. From uv halo's chart on wind speed and first strikes a 3 mph wind will off set impact location by a few feet at longer ranges. A mil dot can help with this but I wouldn't bother learning any of the formulas...we wont have accurate wind speed data to use and it takes a bit of time to figuer it out when in the field, for example even Marine Corp snipers need about a minute to calculate it. Best system, in my opinion, will be to gestimate hold off, fire a shot, try to see where it went or even better have a spotter watch for you and then correct hold off as needed. There is a place I play at in central oregon that gets a crazy amount of wind. I'll probably shoot some first strikes there to see how they do but will not expect much in accuracy.
shibyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 12:26 PM   #3 (permalink)
Post Whore

Yeah my guess is any significant wind will blow the round one direction or other enough so that it would be impossible to hold off and still keep thr target within your picture. But i thought it would be cool to talk about it at least. While we are at it lets talk about moving targets. I have a link for a guide on average speeds for a man. Like slow walk, fast walk, trot, and run. Of course these speeds are most likely just as useless as hold offs for wind for the same reasons.
Aka "wagz" on the field
http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/f...-feedback.html
Keebler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 12:37 PM   #4 (permalink)

Yeah, its difficult to lead moving targets with a real rifle much less a first strike round so the same issues from wind will apply...unfortunatly the combo makes it damn near impossible for a first round hit anyway. Typically people move a rate of around 3 mph when waking and 6 when running but obviously these will vary wildly.

I think for ranges 75 yards or less with low wind, 1-4 mph hold off could work on a 4x scope but beyond that either wind, the person moving or the inherent inaccuracy will make the shot very hard. I havn't looked into wind speed measurement devices yet, are they expensive?
shibyman is offline   Reply With Quote

mcarterbrown.com » Paintball » The Armory » First Strike