mcarterbrown.com  

First Strike Everything first strike related

Old 04-12-2013, 07:02 PM   #11 (permalink)
Paintball Ballistician :P

There was already a start to this sort of competition. It was just a bit too early for us down here in the U.S. with our anti-mil-sim slant. In Canada, The Top Paintball Sniper (note the word arrangement) group held two events in 2010. In 2011, I competed in their first U.S. event and I'm fairly certain they had at least one other event.

In all, I have to hand it to the guys. It's basically a handful of players who got together, drafted a bunch of rules, and asked fields to host them. They provided all the props, published the rules for all to see, and traveled. Given the low turnout in Jersey, I know they had to pay with their own wallets for travel. They had sponsors that amounted to promotional materials and I believe one field that was supposed to host but backed out never even returned the t-shirts and the like.

Last year they cancelled in light of the east coast storm. I really like this outfit. I just wish their spokesman (hitman4hire) was more communicative.
Originally Posted by Tom Kaye -in response to FS price critics
Unfortunately all of you have played the one "speedball" game of paintball for so long you can't conceive of other ways to do this and hence any new ideas seem stupid.
uv_halo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 08:10 PM   #12 (permalink)

I'm working on getting one going for the North West, US. There will be a sniper target shoot set up at SG45 in May but it is going to be very limited in scale as we only have a two hour window to work with with all the other events and such going on there. After that though...we are looking at a sometime this summer to hold a full day event. I want to keep the cost reasonable, have a two person team division and one person division and work some sort of charity into it. After May ill have more time to work on it and ill let everyone know the progress of it.
shibyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 08:23 PM   #13 (permalink)

Target shoots can be competitive and fun but the TPS and perhaps the event this thread is focused on stresses decision making, attention to detail, and stealth. I'm not trying to dissuade you as all competition can be fun.
Unfortunately all of you have played the one "speedball" game of paintball for so long you can't conceive of other ways to do this and hence any new ideas seem stupid.
Old 04-12-2013, 10:15 PM   #14 (permalink)

Home field advantage/ Fake Event

You guys are way off base with the speculation that this was a set up game to boost sales. We were asked to come down along with a rep from Tiberius, Milsig, and Rap4. Based on the guys running the event all of these other manufacturers were going to send reps for the game. The only one that showed up was Milsigs Doug Brown. You could hardly call this a home field advantage as the field is nine hours away from Carmatech's facility. Also it must be stated that David Williams had only visited the field once before, and that was last years Fulda Gap in which he was just a vendor. Yes we were a sponser of this event... we donated a product to be used as a prize. We still payed entry like all the other teams.

As for the ODX team winning second, they entered using a Tippmann and a speedball gun. The way to score points on the range was to shoot as many targets as possible in under 2 minutes. The target values ranged from 10-50 points based on distance to target. Distances ranged from 35-95 yards on targets labeled 1-5 respectivly. Only rule was you had to call out your shot before engaging. I believe ODX got the majority of their points by calling out 1 and shooting. They scored some 700 points in the range shooting regular paint. This was an effective tactic considering their limited range capacity.

Thanks
CarmatechEng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 01:03 AM   #15 (permalink)

Just to be clear, I wasn't making any claims of foul play.

Thanks for providing some info about the event. To be honest, if all FS gun manufacturers were invited, I'm not surprised in the least by the lack of turnout.

The hosts really should publish more details about the stages (number of targets, target distances, points per target, number of shots allowed per stage, etc).

I really like the infrastructure they put up for the event. It's unfortunate that it won't likely be taken on the road. That's an area caused me sympathy for the Top Paintball Sniper folks. They had to make do with the terrain and bunkers available at the hosting fields.

How many of the teams were shooting FS rounds?
Old 04-13-2013, 12:29 PM   #16 (permalink)
DSA
One in the Pipe!

Send a message via Skype™ to DSA

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarmatechEng View Post
You guys are way off base with the speculation that this was a set up game to boost sales. We were asked to come down along with a rep from Tiberius, Milsig, and Rap4. Based on the guys running the event all of these other manufacturers were going to send reps for the game. The only one that showed up was Milsigs Doug Brown. You could hardly call this a home field advantage as the field is nine hours away from Carmatech's facility. Also it must be stated that David Williams had only visited the field once before, and that was last years Fulda Gap in which he was just a vendor. Yes we were a sponser of this event... we donated a product to be used as a prize. We still payed entry like all the other teams.

As for the ODX team winning second, they entered using a Tippmann and a speedball gun. The way to score points on the range was to shoot as many targets as possible in under 2 minutes. The target values ranged from 10-50 points based on distance to target. Distances ranged from 35-95 yards on targets labeled 1-5 respectivly. Only rule was you had to call out your shot before engaging. I believe ODX got the majority of their points by calling out 1 and shooting. They scored some 700 points in the range shooting regular paint. This was an effective tactic considering their limited range capacity.

Thanks
Yes thanks for chiming in cuz we were biatching it up, but you have to admit the press release makes it sound odd. nuf about that, let me ask we're you guys using the bolt action or the semi auto SAR12

My Feedback Redux Knowledge Base My Email Line SI Knowledge Base
Quote:
Originally Posted by russc View Post

All that is necessary for evil to triumph is for good men to shoot nothing.
DSA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 01:10 PM   #17 (permalink)

Uv Halo: To my knowledge I have not had direct communication with you. I have read some of your posts, which are almost always non biased and informational to the audience. With regards to the game, the only way this could be a traveling affair would be by utilizing other fields to set up. The range targets were installed in 5 gallon buckets of concrete. All in all this was a super event with all involved being professional.
Every one was using FS rounds with the exception of TEAM ODX. They came in with a Tippmann X7 and a speedball gun. I am not sure but the x7 more than likely ran a taccap.

DSA: No Harm, just want to give these guys that put on the show fair credit. Yes both the sniper rifle and the spotter were using SAR12 rifles. The sniper rifle was using the bolt action/20 inch HH barrel combo with full length free float and bipod. The spotter was using the CQC version which had the semi auto engine/ 16" HH barrel no fore grip and a red dot sight zeroed at 35 yards using FS rounds. The sniper rifle only used fs rounds during the day, and the spotter switched between regular paint and FS depending on the goals of each station. Both rifles performed as anticipated, no jamming or double feeding issues.

Thanks
David Williams

Image below is of both the sniper rifle and the CQC/ semi auto markers

Image Link

Last edited by CarmatechEng; 04-13-2013 at 01:18 PM.
Old 04-13-2013, 01:24 PM   #18 (permalink)
Official LL5 Dolphin-Dive

Send a message via AIM to PistolRogue

Having known a lot of the ODX guys through the MilsimEmpire forums, I don't think any of them would stoop to any kind of nonsense. Would I personally enter a team into a contest that I was running? No, but to be fair it's not like these events get a huge turnout to start with.
FEEDBACK
PistolRogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 01:39 PM   #19 (permalink)
DSA
One in the Pipe!

Send a message via Skype™ to DSA

David since you guys have obviously tested both 16 and 20in HH, which d o you prefer and why? I am thinking about ordering one from you guys.

My Feedback Redux Knowledge Base My Email Line SI Knowledge Base
Quote:
Originally Posted by russc View Post

All that is necessary for evil to triumph is for good men to shoot nothing.
DSA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 02:11 PM   #20 (permalink)

DSA: This is a loaded question! As a player what is your role? If your a sniper that always uses FS rounds, the bolt action 20" will give you the most consistant shot to shot repeatablitly. Our beta testers as well as our in house testing has found that this combination gives us a repeatability of plus minus 1 FPS from shot to shot. From our testing this is what we found was needed to be repeatable on targets at range. The drawbacks to this combination are relatively slow shot per minute (bolt action) and the barrel will shoot regular paint; however it over rotates a paintball thus causing amplified spin drift. On the other hand the 16" (or 14" plus tip) can handle both rounds. The range/ accuracy is substantially decreased, however you may not need that. The sniper version can drop down to the CQC version, and vise versa. We have also manufactured some AR15 forgrip adapters that allow for mounting of any free floating ar15 system to the rifle. One last note the gun is cocker threaded, and we are working on making a barrel mount that would accept A5 threads as well. That will probably be mid summer release. Thanks for the interest

mcarterbrown.com » Paintball » The Armory » First Strike