mcarterbrown.com

mcarterbrown.com (http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/)
-   First Strike (http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/first-strike/)
-   -   Informal testing CCM SR1 and FS (http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/first-strike/232275-informal-testing-ccm-sr1-fs.html)

CCMachinist 04-27-2013 10:27 AM

Informal testing CCM SR1 and FS

Well, we got a slight reprieve from the wind today.There was a light breeze but we did some FS target shooting anyway.

We were shooting 77 yards from our new Lead Sled rifle rest.

I shot 14 rounds with 11 hits holding within a 12" square. I would pick up another 2 hits if I increased the square to 14" (they hit the target holder top right.

One hit was 10" low from center at 6 o:clock but still a kill shot.

We have been working on our own special barrels and I am quite pleased with the results.

here is a pic of the results.

All of my shots were hitting top right. I adjusted the Lead Sled to the left to move my point of impact.

I have know doubt we can tighten this up.

http://machineshopdpm.com/webphotos/FSTARGET-1.JPG

dm6rocker 04-27-2013 10:38 AM

http://25.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m7...nsnvo1_500.jpg

I love all the testing and tinkering going into the SR1, makes me proud and excited to own one now!

CCMachinist 04-27-2013 11:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dm6rocker (Post 2695003)
http://25.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m7...nsnvo1_500.jpg

I love all the testing and tinkering going into the SR1, makes me proud and excited to own one now!

All paintball guns are capable of shooting FS.

Our limited experience so far has taught us that it is mostly the barrel that effects the accuracy. Tied with that is the air system. You need consistency in the air system.

We have noticed that inconsistent air makes vertical string deviation but the barrel makes the horizontal string deviation.

We also learned on this shooting about FS diameter. It's not what we thought. More on this later.

As you can see by the target we are closing in on the variables.

One thing that was discovered about the FS was we found really tight 686.

That is a first for us . And yes it changed the point of impact.

Nessy 05-13-2013 10:21 PM

You said you found .686 really tight? As in a tight grouping, or tight as in barrel fit to round?

Discussing with other members over on the ACES sniper forums, most of us seem to agree that .686 or .687 is the magic number for FSRs. Not over bored or under bored. I would love to know what kinds of results you got with your .686 barrel test. I think that, aside from quality control of the FSRs improving, the only real thing we can improve in the industry when it comes to accuracy is the barrels themselves. If you are making a one piece, .686 or .687 barrel for the SR-1 , there would be no reason to buy another barrel ever again. :D

CCMachinist 05-14-2013 09:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nessy (Post 2708135)
You said you found .686 really tight? As in a tight grouping, or tight as in barrel fit to round?

Discussing with other members over on the ACES sniper forums, most of us seem to agree that .686 or .687 is the magic number for FSRs. Not over bored or under bored. I would love to know what kinds of results you got with your .686 barrel test. I think that, aside from quality control of the FSRs improving, the only real thing we can improve in the industry when it comes to accuracy is the barrels themselves. If you are making a one piece, .686 or .687 barrel for the SR-1 , there would be no reason to buy another barrel ever again. :D

There were tight 686 FS rounds. I just bought 500 rounds and have noticed quality differences in these. #1 is a rough cut on the tail of the fins that leave burrs and the oversize rounds. I run all of my FS thru the shell sizers and there is a difference and they preform differently.

I have been shooting the Hammer Head battle stick and it's been preforming
really well. I will be trying other brands as I find them. I believe the barrel and the valve system is the key to performance.

Nessy 05-14-2013 10:09 AM

I, as well as others, have noticed the exact same burr you speak of on FSRs. I wonder why Tiberius doesn't have better quality control when it comes to the FSRs. Hmmm.....

I have been using the Hammerhead barrel Battlestixx 16" on my Paradigm Pro and I am getting good results with it as well. I thought that you made barrels that went out with the SR1s when you shipped them. I thought you did this test with one of your barrels. Or am I mistaken and you did use one of yours for this test, but have been shooting a HH Bangstixx recently? Sorry if I ask so many questions, Bill. I'm just trying to understand everything involving your testing so I can compare and contrast when I finally get my own and do my own tests. ^_^

CCMachinist 05-14-2013 02:16 PM

Yes I ship the gun with a smooth bore barrel.The rifle shoots really good with a smooth bore. It just shoots FS better with a rifled barrel.

I shot thousands of paintballs to get familiar with the rifle and to develop muscle memory.

I have been experimenting with a rifled barrel I made and have really positive results

Right now I will let the barrel makers design and build FS barrels.

Now that there is a need for rifled barrels maybe the manufactures will get moving.

This is truly he who makes the most accurate barrel wins.

I have had people that have never seen or held my SR1 and they have shot it for the first time and have hit the jug ( a gallon jug tied to the target board) at 70 yards on the first or second shot.Off Hand!!

One guy hit it twice in a row.

We are using a Lucid red dot for optics.

I don't think you can buy skill but I was amazed.

Our testing is 99% outside in the elements.Kind of like real life shooting.

Nessy 06-10-2013 11:43 PM

What bore did you have for the rifled barrel you designed? I know bore size plays a key role in how FSRs shoot. There are all kinds of theories about underbore vs overbore and which is better. If you decided to sell your rifled barrel after your testing, I am sure it would do just as well or better than the Hammerheads on the market now.

I agree that the usage of FSRs is increasing on fields across the country, but until there is a large calling for them, and they start selling as fast as normal cases of paint, I don't think many companies will put a lot of effort into creating effective rifled barrels for FSR usage, save for companies who already have an investment in them (Lapco, Tiberius Arms, Hammerhead). We need to see a bigger increase in FSR usage, or it will continue to be a niche market for people who run mag fed markers, pistols, and us snipers.

That sounds awesome, being able to hit a 70 yard target with no prior experience with FSRs shows how well built and consistent your SR1 truly is. I am super excited and I can't wait to get mine. I have a feeling that this will be my go to, long range elimination marker. :p

I have never really been a fan of red dots for long range shooting. I myself have a Hawke XB1 on my Para Pro and another waiting for my SAR 12 for when it comes in. I fully plan on using the same set up for the SR1 as I do for my other markers, to maintain consistency in optics. (Hawke XB1 on an HHA Optimizer)

Real life shooting is always the best way to test any new long range rifle, whether it be real or paintball. The only advantage you could get indoors would be to see what true groupings you could get, thereby seeing how consistent a marker really is. While indoors is great for testing, nothing beats shooting out doors for true, real world practice and training. I believe that one should always shoot outdoors. Not to mention it will help you learn to gauge windage and elevation changes, which are huge since a lot of big game fields are ever really flat land. :p

CCMachinist 06-12-2013 10:54 AM

I had a barrel That I pushed a reamer thru that put about a.001 deep straight groove in the barrel. It improved the accuracy 100% . What you see in the target picture is a result of the rifling.

We use a Lucid red dot setting on about a 2 degree angled picatinny rail. It is sighted in at 70 yards. We all just hold over at 80 and 90 yards. When we shoot 50,60 yards we just hold under. It just takes a lot of practice at known distances. There is muscle memory and there is eye to brain memory. We use it in the machine shop all the time.
You can guess very small measurements within a few thousandths. A range finder is really helpful in training your brain to recognize distance outside.

We shot inside at 48 yards to prove the barrel and FS.

The HH 14" barrel is the most accurate barrel we have shot to date.

In my experience it is a combination of air system and barrel. But it was the barrel that had the biggest effect for us. I do think our air system is very consistent and the barrel brought it together.

DSA 06-12-2013 06:03 PM

Bill any chance on the original SR-1 owners to get their barrels reamed with straight rifling?