mcarterbrown.com  

First Strike Everything first strike related

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 06-07-2013, 04:30 PM   #61 (permalink)
Paintball Ballistician :P
 
uv_halo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by bss View Post
First Strike rounds are not more painful...
Problem with your argument: They don't slow down as much, therefore they will impact with more force, with the difference dependent upon the range.

Quote:
Originally Posted by agentSmith View Post
...I've been campaigning with the paintball people I know, that the rules of paintball should be changed.
Just like masks replaced random ski and shop goggles, it should be a requirement that shorts or no long sleeve shirt, no service...
I personally believe everyone should strongly consider wearing long sleeves and pants even without the presence of first strike rounds. It reduces the chances for ticks, staph infections, poison ivy/oak, etc.

However, I don't believe it should be mandatory.

As far as first strike rounds being riskier due to the chance of minor lacerations, I'd point to all the blood drawn to date from regular paintballs fired at safe velocities. It has and will continue to happen. It's all dependent on circumstances. The point being- the risk to health from such 'wounds' is minimal at most provided folks are smart enough to clean it and keep it dry at least after they are done playing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EL17E 76 View Post
...
Some people enjoy picking out one guy at a time from a distance he can't respond to with their dedicated FSR.

Others like to get in somewhat closer and spray half a case to eliminate that same guy.

Unfortunately FSR (polystyrene shells) is not accepted at every field for whatever the reason; until it is all across the board accepted (field owner accepted, cost of/vs "new tech", general misconceptions) for general open play and speedball usage I just don't unfortunately see anyone with the ability to make a longterm difference in the industry deciding to look into changing the paint...or if they did how long would their "funding" last while they work out the kinks (ie Hydro Tec). OR unless MAG-fed catches on in a bigger way than it already even has people will work on changing just the way the mag itself "works" (ie ZetaMags follower/system) as opposed to helping the whole industry by trying to "upgrade" redevelop the paint itself.

FYI FSR not biodegradable it is photodegradable
and biodegradable means the chemical dissolution of materials by bacteria/biologics in a reasonable time
photodegradable is the same using natural light


.02
Personally, what I like most about FSRs is they go where I point them. For over two decades I dealt with the problem of stealthily flanking a 20+ team, dropping in behind someone with a clear shot, and firing one shot (to prevent alerting the rest of the team), and watching the ball deviate exponentially, causing a miss of only inches, alerting the missed player and then standard snapshooting or volume shooting becomes the norm. Doing it at range is simply the smarter thing to do.

I don't think it's up to the paint manufacturers. Perfect Circle Paintball's product is patented.

What I'm left wondering is: "How many mag fed players would pay $.10/shot for tournament-grade performing paint that doesn't go to crap in a mag fed gun?" A perfect circle paintball would have huge ramifications for those that carry pistols as a secondary as most of them compress the balls such that on a warm humid day, the secondary becomes useless. It'd be good for long format mag fed scenarios as well.

To add to the bit about bio/photo-degradable that most people seem to miss:

They are relative terms in that either of them can be used to describe processes that take 100 years or more.
__________________
FN303SD Totmacher 13 | SP 'Woodstalker' Ion | 1989 Line SI Bushmaster SI Deluxe
First Strike Round Field Listing | External Ballistics, FSRs and PBs | My Feedback
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Kaye -in response to FS price critics
Unfortunately all of you have played the one "speedball" game of paintball for so long you can't conceive of other ways to do this and hence any new ideas seem stupid.
uv_halo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 09:42 AM   #62 (permalink)
bss
Active Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Washington

Quote:
Originally Posted by uv_halo View Post
Problem with your argument: They don't slow down as much, therefore they will impact with more force, with the difference dependent upon the range.
I think you miss the part were I stated "Let's put the physics a side, since that are so many other variables involved with the actual calculation of kinetic energy at some distance to the target."

Everyone's tolerance for pain is different. I play up-front more than snipping from a distance, so getting shot at from 40 ft away doesn't bother me.

Now getting back to the topic of First Strike rounds are more painful than standard paintball. For close range, they are about the same. Watch the video link. (First Strike Paintballs - Do they hurt? - YouTube). For long distance, you will feel the First Strike rounds more than the standard paintball. As far as it hurting at long range, it all depends on your tolerance for pain.
__________________
Autococker: JOLE, Karnivor, Bonebrake, Osiris, VF Tactical, Flatliner

Automag: Xmag, Karta Emag, Longbow, Q-bow, Tac-One

Tiberius: T4.1, T4, T9, T9.1

Pump: CCM T6.5 Prototype, DSG, Carter Machine, Gargoyle, Phantom
bss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 11:41 PM   #63 (permalink)
Post Whore
 
Join Date: Oct 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by agentSmith View Post
I've been campaigning with the paintball people I know, that the rules of paintball should be changed.
Just like masks replaced random ski and shop goggles, it should be a requirement that shorts or no long sleeve shirt, no service.
There's a whole scenario team at Hell Survivors in Michigan that play in board shorts or less.
In my opinion it's fun for them, but it selfishly places a burden on everyone else to be super careful because a whole crew left their 'skin safety gear' in the truck.
I'm all for individuality but it's the same as leaving your mask in the truck and telling everyone not to shoot you in the face.

If THAT were adopted industry wide I guarantee that places like Hell Survivors and EMR would at least try First Strikes out.

Rob
i dont know dude. People have been playing with short sleeves or none at all for the longest time and its been okay. The purpose of safety regulations is to prevent serious/permanent injuries. Eye injuries r often much more severe and life altering than skin wounds. Thats why we have regulations regarding eye protection and muzzle velocity.

If someone wears short sleeved clothing, they know what they're getting into. Theres a reason why first timers often layer up on clothing cover every piece of skin they can. Everyone knows that paintballs bruise and potentially cut the skin. If someone wears a sleeveless shirt or none at all, they've accepted the risk they put on themselves. As long as you dont light the guy up, i dont think you should worry about his skin protection. The only skin protection we should worry about is sunscreen.
-=ArchAngel=- is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

  mcarterbrown.com » Paintball » The Armory » First Strike

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 02:36 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO
© MCB Network LLC