mcarterbrown.com  

First Strike Everything first strike related

Old 07-03-2013, 08:56 AM   #11 (permalink)
Fortune and Glory

Send a message via AIM to Crimson Death

CCM Fan
Brass N Wood Fan
Quote:
Originally Posted by [MOOSE] View Post
Does anyone use iron sights? Just curious on what peoples experience is on them, and what to look for (adjustable non-adjustable?).
You can use iron sights. Just don't plan on hitting anything beyond 50 yards or so if you don't have an adjustable riser.
Crimson Death is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 09:21 AM   #12 (permalink)
Ballin'

Using iron sights is all about consistency and practice. Anything up to 100 yards is easily doable, but if you're not familiar with real steel iron sights to start with it'll take a lot more time (and fsr) to match the consistency you would get with a red dot.

The best part about red dots it that you keep both eyes open so you have a full field of view. To me that's critical for paintball.
Jmorell818 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 09:30 PM   #13 (permalink)
Official LL5 Dolphin-Dive

Send a message via AIM to PistolRogue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crimson Death View Post
You can use iron sights. Just don't plan on hitting anything beyond 50 yards or so if you don't have an adjustable riser.
Is that a LEGIT 50 yards or a "standard paintballer guesstimate" 50 yards? Not busting balls, just seriously asking since I've seen people refer to a 50 foot distance as 50 yards before. 150 feet still leaves you pretty much out of effective range for anyone shooting regular paint without having to bored and camping out in the backfield. Have you actually tried using irons AJ? Legitimately curious as I was thinking about trying out a Winchester 1894 style leaf-sight with my H7 when I'm done mounting it in the stock.
FEEDBACK
PistolRogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 10:49 PM   #14 (permalink)
BAZINGA PUNK!!!

Send a message via Yahoo to [MOOSE]

Brass N Wood Fan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jmorell818 View Post
Using iron sights is all about consistency and practice. Anything up to 100 yards is easily doable, but if you're not familiar with real steel iron sights to start with it'll take a lot more time (and fsr) to match the consistency you would get with a red dot.

The best part about red dots it that you keep both eyes open so you have a full field of view. To me that's critical for paintball.
I use iron sights on my .22 and thats about it. I only use that for squirrels and other little varmints so its all pretty close range. I'm sure with a little practice I can figure them out. I'm going to try a red dot and iron sights. I don't think i really want to go as far as using a scope though.
Long distance member of: Team Long Stroke (It's like a long distance relationship only better)
[MOOSE] is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 11:03 PM   #15 (permalink)
Facta Non Verba

Send a message via MSN to Deuce

Fan of EMR
CCM Fan
I personally think a scope in the truest sense of the word is overkill. I'd lean more towards a red dot/holographic, or even one with a lower power magnification for those super long shots.

Co-Captain/ Co-Founder
Team-Awesome

Quote:
Originally Posted by chopper duke View Post
I'd wipe, play-on and overshoot.
Deuce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 11:06 PM   #16 (permalink)
Facta Non Verba

Fan of EMR
CCM Fan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crimson Death View Post
AJ, my TA riser is actually my rear iron sight.

The little notch acts perfectly. I had it set up for about 70yds before I started dicking around with it again. It worked well.

Co-Captain/ Co-Founder
Team-Awesome

Quote:
Old 07-04-2013, 07:34 AM   #17 (permalink)
Fortune and Glory

CCM Fan
Brass N Wood Fan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deuce View Post
AJ, my TA riser is actually my rear iron sight.

The little notch acts perfectly. I had it set up for about 70yds before I started dicking around with it again. It worked well.
Yea I've done that too lol. I just ordered some cheapo backup iron sights off of amazon for closer engagements. They're 45 degree angled and go off the left side of the gun. All I need to do is make a scope mount and I'll be all set.
Old 07-04-2013, 07:38 AM   #18 (permalink)
Fortune and Glory

CCM Fan
Brass N Wood Fan
Quote:
Originally Posted by PistolRogue View Post
Is that a LEGIT 50 yards or a "standard paintballer guesstimate" 50 yards? Not busting balls, just seriously asking since I've seen people refer to a 50 foot distance as 50 yards before. 150 feet still leaves you pretty much out of effective range for anyone shooting regular paint without having to bored and camping out in the backfield. Have you actually tried using irons AJ? Legitimately curious as I was thinking about trying out a Winchester 1894 style leaf-sight with my H7 when I'm done mounting it in the stock.
George and I were over Simon's house when we first got our SR-1's and were shooting at a 2 by 2 archery target at 100 yards.

I had a FSR riser and could hit it with ease. George had flip up iron sights on a flat rail. He could only shoot about half way while using the sights.

The key is an adjustable riser not so much what type of sight you use.
Old 07-04-2013, 02:28 PM   #19 (permalink)
DSA
One in the Pipe!

Send a message via Skype™ to DSA

I love iron sights on the SR-1, but this is so much more fun. I went for the combo strictly because I wanted both options. The arch in a scope is tricky so Understand that. The fiber optic sight more than makes up for any short comings the scope may have it is very nice and easy to use quickly and accurately.

My Feedback Redux Knowledge Base My Email Line SI Knowledge Base
Quote:
Originally Posted by russc View Post

All that is necessary for evil to triumph is for good men to shoot nothing.
DSA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 02:50 PM   #20 (permalink)
Facta Non Verba

Fan of EMR
CCM Fan
Eric, what is that optic?

Co-Captain/ Co-Founder
Team-Awesome

Quote:

mcarterbrown.com » Paintball » The Armory » First Strike