mcarterbrown.com

First Strike Everything first strike related

Old 11-13-2013, 10:47 PM   #1 (permalink)
Dr. says it will clear up

CCM Fan
First strike underboring

So I bring this question to the mad wizards at mcb. I recently got myself a dam and intend to use it as a first strike and paint setup. Here is my pickle. My field paint is usually a .673 sizer on my cocker and fs is around .686-.688. This causes quite a gap in my two speeds and some inconsistency in my regular paint. I am hoping to use a .682 ifit with my hh barrel to get my paint speed up and my fs speed down and get the velocities a little closer together. How damaging would this be to the fs rounds? The Lapco is .683 and the ifit is only 1.75" so ummmmmm yeah. Whatcha think?
Old 11-13-2013, 11:45 PM   #2 (permalink)

CCM Fan
From what I have seen, I don't think that will work very well. The FS's are very rigid and .683 is almost to tight from what a lot of users report, and that I believe is measured from the lands so you have a little play with the grooves being larger. I have forgot to change barrels when switching to FS's and shot thru a .684 freak and they made it thru but they were all breaking after shooting them into a sheet which I do all the time with the .686 and they come out undamaged. You might not have the option, but the best thing is to find paint that is as close to the same size as FS's as possible or larger. That is about the only way to get the speeds close to each other in my opinion.
DJmatt123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013, 12:15 AM   #3 (permalink)
2 Infinity and Beyond!

I wouldn't underbore FS. They are manufactured well enough that a .686-.688 is what you want. I'd chrono FS as high as the field limit and take the FPS drop on the paintballs. You aren't going to get rollouts, so the worst that happens is some wasted air.

>>> Link to prototype Dust Devil<<<

Quote:
Originally Posted by neftaly View Post
New advertising tagline: "Simon Stevens said that will be totally fine and nothing bad could ever happen. Ever."
Feedback
desertT1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013, 10:24 AM   #4 (permalink)
Seasoned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertT1 View Post
I wouldn't underbore FS. They are manufactured well enough that a .686-.688 is what you want. I'd chrono FS as high as the field limit and take the FPS drop on the paintballs. You aren't going to get rollouts, so the worst that happens is some wasted air.
QFT

First strikes are made from a more ridgid material and they are pre-fractured from the factory. That means that compressing them is likely to result in a break. If you are going to sling FSRs, your ability to shoot standard balls is reduced (velocity drop, overbored barrel, etc).
lordkyleofearth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013, 02:55 PM   #5 (permalink)

I'd get a hammerhead 16 inch that has the .688 inner diameter and use the .686 fin. This will optimize your first strike rounds. As for regular paint you wont get the same consistancy/distance if as if you were underboring but just use the regular paint for close to medium distances and the fsr for longer ranges. The two types of ammo are too different to get the best of both worlds without needing to swap barrels and rechrono. My buddies that use hh barrels usually turn there fps down a little anyway and they get better accuracy that way. Just dont plan to long ball with the regular paint. If your lucky enough to be at a field that allows any chrono speed below 300 just set your fsr fps at around 290 -295 and then see what your getting with regular paint without adjusting. It should be around 260-275 with regular paint which is plenty enough for intermediate ranges. If the field has a really low fps limit, like around 280 or 270 id just pick one type of ammo to shoot that day.
shibyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013, 04:38 PM   #6 (permalink)
Paintball Ballistician :P

Quote:
Originally Posted by lordkyleofearth View Post
QFT

First strikes are made from a more ridgid material and they are pre-fractured from the factory. That means that compressing them is likely to result in a break. If you are going to sling FSRs, your ability to shoot standard balls is reduced (velocity drop, overbored barrel, etc).
Not pre-fractured, the polystyrene is pre-stressed (no fracture lines but, rather damaged polymer chains). They tend to break on sudden force application (i.e. hitting a body) more readily than the gradual force applications (chambering, acceleration in the barrel, loading). For the initial first inch in a barrel, the round isn't going terribly fast.

The rounds break more often in underbore simply for the reason reason of forcing a rigid body through too small of a hole.
Originally Posted by Tom Kaye -in response to FS price critics
Unfortunately all of you have played the one "speedball" game of paintball for so long you can't conceive of other ways to do this and hence any new ideas seem stupid.
uv_halo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013, 07:36 PM   #7 (permalink)
C'mon Man!

Send a message via AIM to subyrally

i agree with using a .688, i have tried the underbored fsr barrels and they were a total waste of money and time. never once had an issue with a .688 that wasnt caused by user error or a defective round.
subyrally is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013, 07:48 PM   #8 (permalink)
Dr. says it will clear up

CCM Fan
I'll give it a try on Saturday and tell you what happens. I can always ditch the ifit and just use my hh. It os an early model that does not have a fin. Bassi to the rescue.

mcarterbrown.com » Paintball » The Armory » First Strike