mcarterbrown.com  

First Strike Everything first strike related

View Poll Results: What's Your Age Group?
Under 18 1 2.13%
18-22 7 14.89%
23-30 12 25.53%
30-40 18 38.30%
40+ 9 19.15%
Voters: 47. You may not vote on this poll

Old 02-26-2014, 07:46 PM   #1 (permalink)
Shaped Ammo Advocate

FS Demographics

Does anyone have any info on FS demographics? Things like age, education, frequency of play, etc...

Or failing that, I welcome speculation by folks more versed in the FS subculture (is that a thing yet? if it's not it should be).

I havent seen any hard statistics, but personally, it seems like the round attracts an older group than general paintball. Early or mid twenties types with some education (but maybe that last bit is due more to M. Carter Brown's audience than as a general FS trend).

Either way feel free to add to the poll info. If there aren't already some hard numbers floating around, we can always put them together ourselves.

Edit: Treat 30-40 as 31-40

Last edited by Whiskey Hammer; 02-26-2014 at 08:12 PM.
Whiskey Hammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2014, 06:02 PM   #2 (permalink)

I have no clue about the dem's of other users but I'll start off with posting info about myself.

Education: Some college, trade school grad,high school diploma
Frequency of play: About every other week on average, sometimes more.
Big Games: 2-3 annually

Not sure how indepth you want the demographic data but here are more catogories
Race: White...a bit of native american and north african but not much.
Citizen of: USA(born here)
Political afiliation: None
Relgion: None
shibyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2014, 06:15 PM   #3 (permalink)
Post Whore

I think maybe the round is attracting the "seasoned" crowd more because of the style of play it presents. First strike play is basically limited ammo, higher hit percentage, slower pace play. Something a lot of us grew up with when playing rec or outlaw paintball.

Even with the faster pace of a lot of games now with younger players, faster markers, and cheaper paint, first strikes allow you to put a little more distance between you and the speed and pick your shots without getting sucked into a gunfight where someone is willing to shoot more paint than you've bought for the whole game.

My Feedback
BigDaddyJob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2014, 07:09 PM   #4 (permalink)
Oldbie

Pricing alone may attract an older crowd.
HyperU2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2014, 05:31 PM   #5 (permalink)
MCB Member

I'm in the last group.

I still don't rely on an FS marker for more than a short game. I keep tinkering with the play style and equipment. I keep seeing my own and others' obstacles in certain areas.

1) Playing the intermediate game of both FSRs and round ball is more difficult than one or the other. Drops and velocities vary. Strategies vary.

2) Reloading without a bunch of magazines is a trick. Magazines are better in dedicated carrying harnesses. FSR play is a combination of mag-fed play with new ballistics. Loading single rounds is just as tricky, if not more.

3) Playing in thick woods or fast, short courses detracts from FSR advantage. You need to pick your field of fire. Playing mobile defense is difficult.

In short, FSR play seems to require more planning and rationalization which I think alters the demographics. Even the addition of full auto FSR play shouldn't remove the limited ammo aspect and the challenges involved in longer range play. I think you can say FSR play needs more money just because all of the equipment tends to be new (short used market). Somewhere between age and education you may find something notable.
Old 03-06-2014, 06:01 PM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whiskey Hammer View Post

I havent seen any hard statistics, but personally, it seems like the round attracts an older group than general paintball. Early or mid twenties types with some education (but maybe that last bit is due more to M. Carter Brown's audience than as a general FS trend).

Edit: Treat 30-40 as 31-40
The only reason older people are into FS is because they can afford it. Me and my buddies (18-22) drool over these FS setups, but simply cannot afford it. We need some more competition for these rounds to drive the price down.

What ever happen to that "Scarab round"?
Podskizee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2014, 06:53 PM   #7 (permalink)
Paintball Ballistician :P

Quote:
Originally Posted by Podskizee View Post
The only reason older people are into FS is because they can afford it. Me and my buddies (18-22) drool over these FS setups, but simply cannot afford it. We need some more competition for these rounds to drive the price down.

What ever happen to that "Scarab round"?
The round pricing isn't the problem. Once you learn how to routinely take advantage of them, you will actually spend the same money or less. Here's my personal experience:

Here's what I mean by 'taking advantage':

When I got ahold of FS rounds and my converted Tiberius 9.0, I played a half day with it and 40 rounds. Having never played with that setup before, I hung back a bit more than I used to, and avoided getting into any snapshooting fights and such. In that half of a day, I got 24 eliminations.

The second day I took them out, I didn't do any where close to as good and possibly even worse than I did with regular paint. I didn't realize it until nearly the end of the day but, I had reverted to my usual play tactics- rush up front to the fifty, snap shoot, work angles, rinse and repeat. I found myself with an 8-shot magfed gun with folks who were launching ropes for every shot I took. The odds simply were not in my favor if I put myself in range of them. Once I figured this out, I've not had a problem since.

As for my consumption:

Before they came out, I would play a full day at a walk-on field with my Ion in three round burst (full auto was allowed and the rentals at this field were RT'd A-5s and every game featured re-spawns) with 1.5-2 cases of Marballizers at $65 a case.

When I switched to FS rounds and I had learned my lessons, I would play the same field and I'd only go through 1-1.5 cases of FS rounds at $39.99 a case. I got more eliminations and played just as many games.

If someone's coming from a magfed PB background, or shooting pump they may not see a cost savings but, they'll be better suited to get a better cost/elimination ratio.
Originally Posted by Tom Kaye -in response to FS price critics
Unfortunately all of you have played the one "speedball" game of paintball for so long you can't conceive of other ways to do this and hence any new ideas seem stupid.
uv_halo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2014, 09:47 PM   #8 (permalink)
Post Whore

CCM Fan
I am 45 and a longtime pump and SC player to me it's the ultimate stockclass ! Consistant in weight and size and with the range it is the ultimate to me! I use a red dot sighted in to 30 yards that's 90 feet. I make great cross field shots with it. I never bite off more than I can chew and carry a pistol just in case.
casper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2014, 05:48 PM   #9 (permalink)
Dr. says it will clear up

CCM Fan
I'm 36. Since switching to fs rounds I shoot about half a case or less a day down from 1 to 1.5 and about 50 fs rounds. Use a dam so I use both paints.

mcarterbrown.com » Paintball » The Armory » First Strike