mcarterbrown.com  

First Strike Everything first strike related

Old 05-06-2014, 01:52 AM   #1 (permalink)
Will work 4 First Strikes

New Product from Hammerhead Barrel

Sorry, I was not able to get any pictures...
Over the weekend, I stopped by Rap4's booth at Supergame. I saw a hammerhead rifled barrel specifically designed for shaped projectile. It was around 14 inches long, spyder threaded, no fins and the rifling was not as pronounced as other hammerhead barrels. Any insider connection would like to spill beans? The rep who showed it to me was kind but not helpful in providing details. Thank you.
jjron99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2014, 05:34 AM   #2 (permalink)
Post Whore

CCM Fan
interesting??
casper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2014, 11:24 AM   #3 (permalink)
Paintball Ballistician :P

The owner said nothing to me about it at PB Extra. Although I've been bugging him for months to simply make an autococker barrel.

Odd that the fins wouldn't be as pronounced unless they went to a smaller bore.

I'll keep my ears to the ground.
Originally Posted by Tom Kaye -in response to FS price critics
Unfortunately all of you have played the one "speedball" game of paintball for so long you can't conceive of other ways to do this and hence any new ideas seem stupid.
uv_halo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2014, 12:43 PM   #4 (permalink)
Shaped Ammo Advocate

The longer length makes sense. You only get 9 or 10 inches of rifled length in the barrels they have now, and we know that longer lengths tend to be better at stabilizing the round. Other than that a smaller bore is the only thing that makes sense. I was doing some prep work for my test on Wednesday and noticed that a lot of rounds have very little contact with the bore. I popped a couple FS in and they went right down the barrel with hardly any resistance. It doesnt seeem ideal for rifling engagement.
Whiskey Hammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2014, 02:20 PM   #5 (permalink)
Super Moderated

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whiskey Hammer View Post
The longer length makes sense. You only get 9 or 10 inches of rifled length in the barrels they have now, and we know that longer lengths tend to be better at stabilizing the round. Other than that a smaller bore is the only thing that makes sense. I was doing some prep work for my test on Wednesday and noticed that a lot of rounds have very little contact with the bore. I popped a couple FS in and they went right down the barrel with hardly any resistance. It doesnt seeem ideal for rifling engagement.
Mine is direct threaded and I've noticed that most rounds drop straight through. That said, low velocity testing (lung power into the couch cushions while my wife wasn't home) shows that I get about 90* of rotation regardless of contact level (snug rounds and loose ones rotated similarly).

Quote:
Originally Posted by matteekay View Post
I came into this thread looking for paintball advice and now I think I want to be gay. Thanks, MCB.
My feedback thread
lordkyleofearth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2014, 06:15 PM   #6 (permalink)
Post Whore

CCM Fan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whiskey Hammer View Post
I gave up my longer tiberius HH the short one worked just as well if not better.I think I would rate it about a 1/2 rotation on a marked rnd push through.I would like to see what 686 would do.
Old 05-06-2014, 06:16 PM   #7 (permalink)

Something I've always considered could be at play is the air currents around the round could also be imparting some of the spin we see. So even if the round is not touching the side walls much the air that is pushing past thee rounds and moves around the round via the grooved channels could help spin the round. More so with FS than normal paint due to the fins and larger size. Of course this could be totally wrong physics wise.
scottallen1986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2014, 06:34 PM   #8 (permalink)
Fortune and Glory

Send a message via AIM to Crimson Death

CCM Fan
Brass N Wood Fan
Trinity told me that the 20 inch HH barrel that's on the Sar 12 didn't perform as well as the normal sized HH mofo barrel on his SR-1.
Crimson Death is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2014, 07:00 PM   #9 (permalink)
Post Whore

CCM Fan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crimson Death View Post
Trinity told me that the 20 inch HH barrel that's on the Sar 12 didn't perform as well as the normal sized HH mofo barrel on his SR-1.
Odd thing too is tips !!I have tried all tips even no tip and the best was a flassc surpressor hands down .Of course this was done at 40 yds 4 rnds per tip change same weight and size fsr. So its a flascc surrpesor and short HH tiberius barrel best combo so far !
Old 05-06-2014, 07:49 PM   #10 (permalink)

CCM Fan
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottallen1986 View Post
Something I've always considered could be at play is the air currents around the round could also be imparting some of the spin we see. So even if the round is not touching the side walls much the air that is pushing past thee rounds and moves around the round via the grooved channels could help spin the round. More so with FS than normal paint due to the fins and larger size. Of course this could be totally wrong physics wise.
I had the same thought. I was even wondering if something like this, Aluminum Eco Gas Fuel Saver Fan Blue Jet Turbo Blade Supercharge Tornado Intake | eBay
inside the bolt would have any effect to get the air spinning in a vortex....it's a strech, but who knows.

I've also found that the shorter barrels work just as well, as long as you can get the round up to the same fps you use with the longer barrel, which is probably not a problem for most markers. It was just an issue before I got the new bolt for my DAM. I have the 20" HH and it's just to long for comfort, I prefer the 14" HH.
DJmatt123 is offline   Reply With Quote

mcarterbrown.com » Paintball » The Armory » First Strike