mcarterbrown.com  

First Strike Everything first strike related

Old 05-07-2014, 11:28 AM   #1 (permalink)

CCM Fan
Ultimate FS Riser Mod

Interested:
1. shibyman
2. Echo
3. jjron99
4. Chicago
5. Crimson Death
6. xxerexx
7. The Flounder
8. The Flounder (second one for brother)
9. Levi
10. Casper
11. ognajD
12. swiftblade13
13. Chylith
14. D3adpool
15. dirtylittlemo
16. voad

URL=http://s256.photobucket.com/user/djmatt123/media/Optimizer%20optimized/photo18_zpsecc8d6bb.jpg.html][/URL]

First I would like to give a huge THANK YOU to Bill and CCM for their help in this project! I spent numerous hours trying to create the perfect dial for this and could not fabricate a smooth enough spiral groove to work. I talked with Bill and gave him the specs of what I needed and he was able to create it perfectly! Now on to the details....

This is a modification to the HHA Optimizer. In it's stock form, you can only get between 35-40 yards of adjustment so it needs to be mounted on top of a different adjustable riser to be able to get the range needed for FS's which basically defeats the whole purpose and adds a lot of weight and guessing back into the package. I disassembled my Optimizer and found that it had enough travel in it's hinge that it could have over twice the adjustment as what it does with the standard dial with a couple small modifications.

There are four things that need changing to make this work. First and easiest is some longer springs between the rails. I had some laying around that worked perfect. Second was to remove the pointer since the larger wheel sits over it, so far I have just added a sharpie line beside where the pointer was to line up with the yardage and it works fine. Third is machine the groove that allows vertical movement. I had a friend with a lathe that helped to do that. Last was to make a new dial that had a perfect spiral with enough spread that it would raise the rail to the max the hinge would allow. As I stated above, that was the hardest part and CCM did a perfect job of producing exactly what I needed!

New dial:

The machined vertical groove:

Max angle before mod:

Max angle after mod:

Now for the results! I did a quick sight in the weekend before Supergame and while shooting at approximately 280 fps, I was able to start at 20 yards and adjust all the way out to past 100 yards. It was getting windy at the end but I was able to hit on target out to about 105-110 yards with the dial maxed out. If you have used the stock Optimizer, you probably know that the tapes with the yardage that come with it do not line up for FS rounds. With the new dial, I sighted it in as directed by HHA and got a reading of 31 for the tape strips and it seems to be pretty much spot on out to the 80 yards that the tape displays. After that the spread increases due to the loss of velocity of the FS and I hand marked the 90 and 100 yard marks. I took it up to Supergame and tested it out all weekend and it worked flawlessly! Just get your range, dial it in, and you are on target!

Now for the not so good news. This is not a cheap system. The HHA Optimizer by itself is around $160 plus getting the new dial made and machining the vertical groove. I talked with Bill about the possibility to produce these but it doesn't sound like it's going to be a feasible thing to do to make it worthwhile. We would like to get feedback if you are interested or have any other ideas to improve the design or reduce the cost. If there is enough interest (probably 50+), it might be a possibility that CCM could do a run or if not, maybe there is someone who has the equipment and time to do these on a smaller scale.

Last edited by DJmatt123; 05-29-2014 at 08:30 PM.
DJmatt123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2014, 12:32 PM   #2 (permalink)
Paintball Ballistician :P

I thought about having the same done to mine. I put it on the back-burner though as I had other things to work on and, I side mount my GoPro to my Tiberius Riser.

What's your wheel made of? It looks to be acetal. If so, what about Aluminum?
Originally Posted by Tom Kaye -in response to FS price critics
Unfortunately all of you have played the one "speedball" game of paintball for so long you can't conceive of other ways to do this and hence any new ideas seem stupid.
uv_halo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2014, 02:23 PM   #3 (permalink)

CCM Fan
I believe it's made of delrin but Bill provided the material. I've been working on a heads up display for my gopro when mounted like I have it in the top picture. It's working good in testing, but still working out some bugs for actual use in the field. I've also been in the process of trying to shrink it down as much as I can so it fits more comfortably inside my goggles. You could always do a doctor style mount off of your scope for the gopro instead of a side rail on the tiberius riser also.
Old 05-07-2014, 02:34 PM   #4 (permalink)
Seasoned Member

Would it be possible to 3D print the components? I realize there would be a need for final sanding/smoothing, but that could be left to the buyer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by matteekay View Post
I came into this thread looking for paintball advice and now I think I want to be gay. Thanks, MCB.
My feedback thread
lordkyleofearth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2014, 02:44 PM   #5 (permalink)

CCM Fan
For the dial, it might be a good possibility. I've not had any experience with 3d printing so know for sure though but was about to look into it before Bill helped me. It would still require the machining of the vertical groove to allow the range of movement.
Old 05-07-2014, 02:48 PM   #6 (permalink)
Seasoned Member

I wonder if we couldn't just print the entire thing. I don't have an optimizer to look at, nor have I ever modeled something for printing, but if you can print a DIY functional prosthetic hand, surely you can print this too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by matteekay View Post
I came into this thread looking for paintball advice and now I think I want to be gay. Thanks, MCB.
My feedback thread
lordkyleofearth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2014, 02:51 PM   #7 (permalink)

Thats awesome! I would be interested in this as i always hated having to use another riser below the hha.
shibyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2014, 05:05 PM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJmatt123 View Post
I believe it's made of delrin but Bill provided the material. I've been working on a heads up display for my gopro when mounted like I have it in the top picture. It's working good in testing, but still working out some bugs for actual use in the field. I've also been in the process of trying to shrink it down as much as I can so it fits more comfortably inside my goggles. You could always do a doctor style mount off of your scope for the gopro instead of a side rail on the tiberius riser also.
Acetyl, Delrin same stuff.

My main reason for the side mount is I don't want to depend on it for my sighting picture. Secondary is the decreased battery life when using the LCD or Wifi backpacks. This isn't insurmountable for the HHA Riser, (i.e. I already have an offset mount) it's just that I didn't want to pursue it largely because of the limitations of the HHA out of the box. In doing so, I found that I like my GoPro rotated 90deg- it captures more of the FS round's flight (snce I'm using the 50mm zoom).

Quote:
Originally Posted by lordkyleofearth View Post
I wonder if we couldn't just print the entire thing. I don't have an optimizer to look at, nor have I ever modeled something for printing, but if you can print a DIY functional prosthetic hand, surely you can print this too.
You want a fairly robust material, and that's assuming that the print quality is good enough in the first place.

I wonder how many of us FS shooters have the HHA riser (mine's currently in a bin)?
Unfortunately all of you have played the one "speedball" game of paintball for so long you can't conceive of other ways to do this and hence any new ideas seem stupid.
Old 05-08-2014, 10:59 AM   #9 (permalink)
Fortune and Glory

Send a message via AIM to Crimson Death

CCM Fan
Brass N Wood Fan
I have a HHA riser mounter on a angled rail, but this looks like it would work better.

I've been slacking and really haven't tested how far my setup can hit.
Crimson Death is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2014, 12:02 PM   #10 (permalink)

Without an additional riser under the HHA, my own results correlated to DJMatt's

mcarterbrown.com » Paintball » The Armory » First Strike