mcarterbrown.com

Fitness Health and Fitness Forums

Old 02-15-2011, 12:12 PM   #21 (permalink)
Karōshi

Skull crushers are fun for triceps too.
mxmtl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2011, 01:36 PM   #22 (permalink)
Mar
All nail Drum!

Fan of EMR
CCM Fan
Brass N Wood Fan
Palmers Fan
Quote:
Originally Posted by mxmtl View Post
Skull crushers are fun for triceps too.
yeah man.

My Tricep workout is:

Dips 6 sets
Skull crushers 5 sets
French Press 3 sets
Tricep Pull downs 1-3 sets

Alternate excercises are:

Close grip bench press
Close reverse grip bench press
http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/f...-feedback.html
Mar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2011, 02:43 PM   #23 (permalink)
Karōshi

Quote:
Originally Posted by idkfa View Post
I am only doing 2 x 55 lbs dumbbell press (3 sets of 6 or 4 sets of 5).
I was up to 60 lbs for three sets of 10, but then I did something to my right shoulder somehow and when I went back into the gym, every flat press, incline press, and even flyes hurt like hell even with just a fraction of the weight. I was prescribed rotator cuff exercises to fix that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mar View Post
Dips 6 sets
Skull crushers 5 sets
French Press 3 sets
Tricep Pull downs 1-3 sets

Alternate excercises are:
Close grip bench press
Close reverse grip bench press
My tricep exercises are currently the same as yours, although I do the skull crushers before the dips. I'm also supersetting each of them with bicep exercises.
Old 02-15-2011, 02:48 PM   #24 (permalink)
Stock Class Aficionado

CCM Fan
As a side note, is 3x6 or 4x5 a reasonable set/rep combination for muscle building? The personal trainer at the gym advised I try it, and I have had good luck thus far, but I am open to suggestions. I usually rotate every 2 weeks or so between 3 and 4 sets.
Old 02-15-2011, 03:25 PM   #25 (permalink)
Karōshi

According to a trainer I had a few years ago, optimum results come when you vary the set, rep, and tempo every 4-6 weeks. Even that is very general. There are certain tests that can be performed to determine what works best for you, and certain muscle groups respond better to some protocols than others. The best book I've seen on this is The Poliquin Principles. That's what my trainer had recommended to me when I had the time to actually read up on all this stuff. Nowadays, I just hit him up for new programs every few months.
Old 02-15-2011, 03:42 PM   #26 (permalink)
Red=Moderator

Remember too that a lower weight with lots of reps is good for building muscle endurance.

I'm still waiting to get back into lifting... maybe another month or three before I'm cleared to lift due to my shoulder.

E
Schmitti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2011, 05:06 PM   #27 (permalink)
Man The Myth The Legend

try using machines or isolation cheast lifts.

also socialize if possible ask for a spot and do the bar. nothing compares to it for gaining strength. its like doing back without deadlifting.

also strengthen your forearms , do hammer curls, wrist curls, and other forearm lifts.

i take it your pretty tall and not that heavy?
Old 02-16-2011, 07:41 PM   #28 (permalink)
Stock Class Aficionado

CCM Fan
Quote:
Originally Posted by yuik View Post
try using machines or isolation cheast lifts.

also socialize if possible ask for a spot and do the bar. nothing compares to it for gaining strength. its like doing back without deadlifting.

also strengthen your forearms , do hammer curls, wrist curls, and other forearm lifts.

i take it your pretty tall and not that heavy?
I was always told that the bench press with barbell was bad for your shoulders and back?

Anywho, I am 6'4" and 185 lbs. I am not lanky by any means (though I think I am actually pretty light for my height?), I just have nothing but lean muscle on my legs, upper back, shoulders and my arms. I have a little bit of weight left on my stomach/chest/lower back that I am trying to get rid of.
Old 02-16-2011, 08:54 PM   #29 (permalink)
Man The Myth The Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by idkfa View Post
I was always told that the bench press with barbell was bad for your shoulders and back?

Anywho, I am 6'4" and 185 lbs. I am not lanky by any means (though I think I am actually pretty light for my height?), I just have nothing but lean muscle on my legs, upper back, shoulders and my arms. I have a little bit of weight left on my stomach/chest/lower back that I am trying to get rid of.
unless your Asian (smaller bone structure), your very lightweight for someone who lifts. I am 6'2" and around 206lbs and have similiar forearm weakness problems. i am lucky to always have a spot though. but when i max out with 85lb dumbells i tend to twist my wrists alittle and get sketchy on rep 5 or 6. i just fight through it and make sure to lift my forearms to help out.

also bench with the bar is amazing. you will hear running is bad for your knees, curls are bad for your joints, deadlifts can damage your lowerback, squats can damage you back, ect ect. you can trip on a jumprope and break your nose. 90% of strong men that I have seen incorporate a flat bench and bar into their chest workout, man up and ask someone for a spot to put up some serious weight. If your lifting by yourself dont put the clamps on and if you bottom out just push the weight to one side on the floor. the bonus is no one is there to see you **** up.

but if you stick to your same old routine you will get the same old results. good luck man.
Old 02-16-2011, 09:40 PM   #30 (permalink)
Fortune and Glory

Send a message via AIM to Crimson Death

CCM Fan
Brass N Wood Fan
Quote:
Originally Posted by yuik View Post
i tend to twist my wrists

This is probably your problem. Keeping the dumbbell parallel to the floor is what you should be trying to do. Tilting it puts stress on your forearms to keep a hold on and balance the weight.
Crimson Death is offline   Reply With Quote

mcarterbrown.com » General » Off-Topic » Fitness