mcarterbrown.com

Fitness Health and Fitness Forums

Old 02-16-2011, 10:42 PM   #31 (permalink)
Stock Class Aficionado

CCM Fan
Quote:
Originally Posted by yuik View Post
unless your Asian (smaller bone structure), your very lightweight for someone who lifts. I am 6'2" and around 206lbs and have similiar forearm weakness problems. i am lucky to always have a spot though. but when i max out with 85lb dumbells i tend to twist my wrists alittle and get sketchy on rep 5 or 6. i just fight through it and make sure to lift my forearms to help out.

also bench with the bar is amazing. you will hear running is bad for your knees, curls are bad for your joints, deadlifts can damage your lowerback, squats can damage you back, ect ect. you can trip on a jumprope and break your nose. 90% of strong men that I have seen incorporate a flat bench and bar into their chest workout, man up and ask someone for a spot to put up some serious weight. If your lifting by yourself dont put the clamps on and if you bottom out just push the weight to one side on the floor. the bonus is no one is there to see you **** up.

but if you stick to your same old routine you will get the same old results. good luck man.
10-4

I am going to switch up my workout starting in two weeks (new job, less commute, more time to work out) and see what I can do. I will add flat bench with barbell to it. I might go with machine press until I solve the forearm issue.

I really hope cutting down on pushups will help alleviate my forearms giving out; I will come back in about a week once I have gone through another full routine.
Old 02-17-2011, 12:11 AM   #32 (permalink)
Man The Myth The Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crimson Death View Post
This is probably your problem. Keeping the dumbbell parallel to the floor is what you should be trying to do. Tilting it puts stress on your forearms to keep a hold on and balance the weight.
yes i know, i should have mentioned that i didnt intend to do this, its just a poor habbit when i max out. luckily i always have a spotter but its something i want to eliminate.
Old 03-01-2011, 02:10 AM   #33 (permalink)
Post Whore

Send a message via MSN to foldadoom

your forarms should never be ingaged during bench press, dumbell or barbell your grip is

a, too narrow compared to your shoulders.
b, poor hand placement (try benching without your thumbs when using a barbell)

with dumbells there are a few tricks, here is a simple one that may help you through the movement keep you thumbs lower than your little finger (ie off set your wrists).
It sounds to me that you maybe be doing movements before bench.......dont compound/power moves should be first! Never use high reps to warm up.

I used to bench around 210kg for reps and our dumbells went up to 95kg a pair ( i could just incline these but they where so long they actually made for a very unsatfactory set) I was training in a gym with some of the worlds (yes the worlds) strong man record holders so there was always some one bigger and stronger to train with.......after having my bicep stiched back on to my arm, having my achillies re attached and finally my shoulder reconstructed, dont fuss about how much you can lift (I am 5/10 and was a 140kg at my biggest and strongest, bench over 200kg, squat 300kg, front squat 200kg, leg press over a 1000kg, partial dead lift 500kg..I was also full of drugs...but there was always some one bigger and stronger) just do what you need to do.

change your routine every week (this dosent have to be an overhaul) a few extra reps, movements can be enough, find out what sort of muscle fibers you have, volume training maybe the key for you, try negatives, hell most people actually train too much, fiber and body type are the key to succesful gains.

my 2 cents

CD
foldadoom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2011, 03:47 PM   #34 (permalink)
Mar
All nail Drum!

Fan of EMR
CCM Fan
Brass N Wood Fan
Palmers Fan
Quote:
Originally Posted by foldadoom View Post
your forarms should never be ingaged during bench press, dumbell or barbell your grip is

with dumbells there are a few tricks, here is a simple one that may help you through the movement keep you thumbs lower than your little finger (ie off set your wrists).
It sounds to me that you maybe be doing movements before bench.......dont compound/power moves should be first! Never use high reps to warm up.

I used to bench around 210kg for reps and our dumbells went up to 95kg a pair ( i could just incline these but they where so long they actually made for a very unsatfactory set) I was training in a gym with some of the worlds (yes the worlds) strong man record holders so there was always some one bigger and stronger to train with.......after having my bicep stiched back on to my arm, having my achillies re attached and finally my shoulder reconstructed, dont fuss about how much you can lift (I am 5/10 and was a 140kg at my biggest and strongest, bench over 200kg, squat 300kg, front squat 200kg, leg press over a 1000kg, partial dead lift 500kg..I was also full of drugs...but there was always some one bigger and stronger) just do what you need to do.

change your routine every week (this dosent have to be an overhaul) a few extra reps, movements can be enough, find out what sort of muscle fibers you have, volume training maybe the key for you, try negatives, hell most people actually train too much, fiber and body type are the key to succesful gains.

my 2 cents

CD
good-lord. wow. How's your bacne? that is some heavy lifting.
http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/f...-feedback.html
Mar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2011, 08:59 PM   #35 (permalink)
Man The Myth The Legend

Quote:

my 2 cents

CD
at first i didnt read it because of all the KGs (Im sorry i thought this was america)

but i call shens on the 1000kg leg press, Ronnie coleman isnt from the western hemisphere.
YouTube - Ronnie Coleman 2300 Lb Leg Press.flv
Old 03-01-2011, 11:27 PM   #36 (permalink)
Post Whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mar View Post
good-lord. wow. How's your bacne? that is some heavy lifting.
yup my lower back was an issue, but weekly massage and ostepathic visits helped alot, to be honest theback was only an issue when I was doing heavy partial dead lifts (I used to do all my squats in leather combat boots, until I got the form right.......years before RC was doing it) as I also managed to crush 3 vertabrea naybe the back pain was always going to happen?? I get very few problems now, down to a 130kg and hoping to bottom out at around 115kg, just doing alot of cardio around 4am then on to the bow flex for 40minutes........came to the conclussion that I was never going to the olympia

Quote:
Originally Posted by yuik View Post
at first i didnt read it because of all the KGs (Im sorry i thought this was america)

but i call shens on the 1000kg leg press, Ronnie coleman isnt from the western hemisphere.
YouTube - Ronnie Coleman 2300 Lb Leg Press.flv
sorry I am not in the USA, mate call it what you like.......I dont really care, I cant hit any of those weights again, and I dont really want to, watching your nose explode when squatting or having a small subarcnoid heamorage (didnt mention that one) and using gear was just fun for a time. Ronnie is a very big lad, be isnt the stongest guy I have seen, and good luck with his life expectency.

CD
Old 03-02-2011, 01:23 PM   #37 (permalink)
Mar
All nail Drum!

Fan of EMR
CCM Fan
Brass N Wood Fan
Palmers Fan
Quote:
yup my lower back was an issue, but weekly massage and ostepathic visits helped alot, to be honest theback was only an issue when I was doing heavy partial dead lifts (I used to do all my squats in leather combat boots, until I got the form right.......years before RC was doing it) as I also managed to crush 3 vertabrea naybe the back pain was always going to happen?? I get very few problems now, down to a 130kg and hoping to bottom out at around 115kg, just doing alot of cardio around 4am then on to the bow flex for 40minutes........came to the conclussion that I was never going to the olympia
CD
I don't have the genetics to ever be where you were at, but even I have had a couple of torn rotator cuffs... That kind of stress on your body as you were doing is massive, and untenable in the long run. A power lifting friend of mine who would be a local 'Strongman' competition type passed a couple of years ago. He thought he hurt his shoulder while training and left the gym, never saw him again; turns out he had suffered a heart attack. He died at home a couple of days later.

I'll be happy at 190-200lbs with 10-16% body fat... I have to plan for the fact that I am 34, with 3 kids, and unable to devote my life to the sport.
http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/f...-feedback.html
Mar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2011, 01:42 PM   #38 (permalink)
Post Whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mar View Post
I don't have the genetics to ever be where you were at, but even I have had a couple of torn rotator cuffs... That kind of stress on your body as you were doing is massive, and untenable in the long run. A power lifting friend of mine who would be a local 'Strongman' competition type passed a couple of years ago. He thought he hurt his shoulder while training and left the gym, never saw him again; turns out he had suffered a heart attack. He died at home a couple of days later.

I'll be happy at 190-200lbs with 10-16% body fat... I have to plan for the fact that I am 34, with 3 kids, and unable to devote my life to the sport.
bingo! at some stage you say hey I have kids a family they need me around and people who would be a bit upset if I died......espicaly if it was self inflicted (I consider death through drug use to be a slow form of suicide) I cant count the number of times I had muppets asking me how much of this or that should I take, or having to rush guys up to the hospital emergency (it was very close to the gym I trained at............hum coincidence?) to get a shot of glucose because they didnt get their insulin dosage right, of course there is the criminal element with steriod use..........

just my 2 cents form someone who has been there.

CD

mcarterbrown.com » General » Off-Topic » Fitness