mcarterbrown.com  

Fitness Health and Fitness Forums

Old 03-16-2011, 11:29 AM   #1 (permalink)
slowly coming back around

military physical training

I just got done leading the section in our weekly morale-building physical training and figured I would share some of the stuff we do in the military. This stuff is meant to make you ready to pass that particular branch's physical fitness test first, and then physically fit a close second, but if you're looking to change up your routine or add some new stuff to cover down on something you're not getting, here's some ideas. BE WARNED: A lot of this looks easy, but it is actually quite harsh. Don't break/strain/kill yourself and blame me, as you have been warned.

Okay, the Army has already changed from the old PT manual, FM 21-20 to a newer one called the Army Physical Readiness Training (PRT), TC 3-22.20, and if you look around the PRT website, they're already talking about even further changes. Can't wait until they start us on the Combat Readiness Test, as that looks a lot more interesting than just doing pushups, situps, and the 2-mile run. For those looking in the new manual, Chapter 8 starts the new exercise regime and has all the stuff we're doing now. Everything before that is Army drill & ceremony stuff and discussions of physical preparedness you won't be interested in.

Of course, those crazy Marines have already beat us to the punch, and have already implemented a new physical fitness manual, MCO 6100.13, which has the new Combat Fitness Test that they're already using.

Hope you can find something useful out of all that!

The problem with America is that we confuse our politics for religion, and our religions for science.

Check out my current sale and my feedback
usagi_tetsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2011, 01:42 PM   #2 (permalink)

Nice links, some new exercises for me to work in our program. Thanks.

It's interesting on how we do things differently and where we put the emphasis on. With us, PT is considered a personal responsibility. It's not neccessarily the unit's job to get you in shape. Depending on the leadership, it might just be maintained in order to pass our yearly mandatory tests. Other leaders of course () have a slightly different view and we routinely "improve morale" in a very sweaty manner.

Just for comparison's sake, our main guiding manual is the Army Fitness Manual:

AFM
http://armyonline.kingston.mil.ca/CL...03_PT_001_.PDF
It's already out of date, guess we have that in common. We've changed a few things due to experiences in A'stan. Turns out us guys with a little extra on the waistline tend to last a little longer in the mtns and deserts than the guys with 3% body fat.

I happen to be a big fan of our COmbat Fitness Manual:

CFM
http://www.cfpsa.com/en/psp/Fitness/...003-pt-z01.pdf

Austere exercises are a big part of my unit's workout program. The troops haven't killed my yet when we play ball hockey, so I figure I must be doing something right . Nothing better than some team building log PT or some barrel toss.

The ACIM website is a great instructional tool for Jr leaders to use and for just anyone that is unsure of how to up their program.
http://ctc.gagetown.mil.ca/dlearn/Pa.../ACIM/ACIM.htm
(sorry about the music).

Wook

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSA View Post
Dude I'll be 42 next month the only movement i'll be joining is in the crapper.
Wookilar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2011, 02:55 PM   #3 (permalink)
Facta Non Verba

Send a message via MSN to Deuce

Fan of EMR
CCM Fan
Quote:
Originally Posted by usagi_tetsu View Post
Okay, the Army has already changed from the old PT manual, FM 21-20 to a newer one called the Army Physical Readiness Training (PRT), TC 3-22.20, and if you look around the PRT website, they're already talking about even further changes. Can't wait until they start us on the Combat Readiness Test, as that looks a lot more interesting than just doing pushups, situps, and the 2-mile run. For those looking in the new manual, Chapter 8 starts the new exercise regime and has all the stuff we're doing now. Everything before that is Army drill & ceremony stuff and discussions of physical preparedness you won't be interested in.
I'm with you, the change is long over due. Battle focused PT was always my favorite. The last changes I read will definitely be a step in the right direction. I hope they're implemented.

Team Trigger Happy
Deuce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2011, 03:03 PM   #4 (permalink)
Semper Fi

CCM Fan
AKA Fan
Brass N Wood Fan
canada has an army? I KID I KID

semper fi

ANGELS FOR LIFE!!!
gainman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2011, 05:38 PM   #5 (permalink)
slowly coming back around

Wookilar - awesome stuff there, bud. I especially like how in our new manual, all the demonstration pics are of the same guy, but the Canucks change it up for every exercise. And somehow got away with making the ladies always the demonstrators for the poses where their butt sticks way out there. Some pretty nice pics there. ;P

Deuce - yeah, tell me about it. You were combat arms, when did you ever stop in the middle of a firefight, put on your PT clothes, and do a 2-mile run? Right, never! Here's a news story on the new CRT, and it looks like they wore those troops out. My concern with it from a Guard/Reserve standpoint is how are the individual troops going to practice on this stuff away from the unit? Active Duty troops will have all that stuff at their unit, but G/R? Right, they on their own, and I don't know about you, but a lot of us Guard guys don't have rubber duckies to practice with, much less 2 30lb ammo cans, a balance beam, or a 180lb sled to drag around. Other than that one quibble, I'm with you - let's switch to it now!

The problem with America is that we confuse our politics for religion, and our religions for science.

Check out my current sale and my feedback
usagi_tetsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2011, 06:05 PM   #6 (permalink)
Facta Non Verba

Send a message via MSN to Deuce

Fan of EMR
CCM Fan
Quote:
Originally Posted by usagi_tetsu View Post
Deuce - yeah, tell me about it. You were combat arms, when did you ever stop in the middle of a firefight, put on your PT clothes, and do a 2-mile run? Right, never! Here's a news story on the new CRT, and it looks like they wore those troops out. My concern with it from a Guard/Reserve standpoint is how are the individual troops going to practice on this stuff away from the unit? Active Duty troops will have all that stuff at their unit, but G/R? Right, they on their own, and I don't know about you, but a lot of us Guard guys don't have rubber duckies to practice with, much less 2 30lb ammo cans, a balance beam, or a 180lb sled to drag around. Other than that one quibble, I'm with you - let's switch to it now!
Never, but several of us chased an Iraqi wearing a dishdasha for 5 miles wearing 50lbs of gear in the middle of August. Not so fun. Good luck catching any kids though. There is no keeping up. I was glad the guy we ran down was a middle aged smoker.

As far as training materials something most combat arms guys know how to do is adapt. No weights? We found some fence pole, concrete, and coffee cans. Buckets of water can also work marvelously.

There is also always Army Surplus. I use Cheaper than Dirt for a lot of my surplus needs, including Ammo cans.

Team Trigger Happy
Deuce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2011, 06:17 PM   #7 (permalink)

We're all about the butts

Water and fuel jerry cans also work very well for improvised gear. Everyone should have some jerry cans sticking around.

Wook

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSA View Post
Dude I'll be 42 next month the only movement i'll be joining is in the crapper.
Wookilar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2011, 06:21 PM   #8 (permalink)
MQ2 Pumper!

I read an article on updating military fitness not too long ago:
Poliquin Strong! Comparing the Military's Health + Fitness
mxmtl is offline   Reply With Quote

mcarterbrown.com » General » Off-Topic » Fitness