mcarterbrown.com

Fitness Health and Fitness Forums

Old 03-17-2011, 02:27 AM   #1 (permalink)
a.k.a. Kazzy

CCM Fan
my two cents on a plan for losing some weight.

I've stumbled upon the fitness section and since I haven't posted in a while, I figured I'd throw in my two cents.

First off: The first week on a diet is the hardest, if you can make it a whole week, you'll breeze through the rest.

I created a weight loss plan and started doing it December 22nd. I'm 6'0" and, at the time, weighed 197lbs. Thankfully I've never seen 200 on the scale... As of March 1st I weighed in at 176, which I've held steady.

I've only changed two things in my lifestyle. First is booze and second is food.

1) Booze

December 22nd was the last day I had an alcoholic beverage...I've read like 15 different books for man dieting and fitness and each and every one of them calls for absolutely no alcohol. I can see two reasons: 1) It slows your metabolism by a huge percentage which makes it hard to burn calories fast enough. 2) It's a mental thing. If you're drinking, chances are, you're drinking a lot, not just one...and probably snacking on junk food. So while it might have a poor effect on your metabolism if you're eating right, it's definitely going to have an effect if you're snacking and drinking a lot.

Now obviously that sucks, but if you want results in short order, kick the booze entirely...not forever, just while you get on the new regiment. Say 8 weeks because that's what's worked for me. Introduce it back very slowly.

I know how magical drinking is, and I know how hard that advice is to take, but that's just how it is, sorry.

2) Food

Portions are out of control, and eating is very much an addiction. How do we kick addictions...for me...cold turkey with strong willpower.

But obviously you can't cold turkey stop eating all together. So this is what I did.

I'm really lazy and would rather drive to a restaurant and wait for someone to make food for me than make it myself...so when I read all the diets that introduce tons of different and diverse meals over the course of 9 weeks, I was like...forget that. I can't make all this stuff. This is dumb.

I know you are like me in this department. Dieting sucks enough without having to work hard to make everything...so do what I did...keep it extremely simple.

Eat this every day for two months. Once you have down a good routine with your new portion intake, introduce different things (along the same ideas as below) as you please.

Breakfast 8am:
Banana
Sandwich: Turkey, Egg, and Swiss (half slice) on a wheat English Muffin.
Green Tea (green tea is excellent. It still has caffeine but hardly any sugar or junk that impedes on your metabolic rate)

Snack 10am:
Orange or Apple-depending on what I'm doing. Apples are easier to eat but I prefer oranges.

Lunch 1pm:
Sandwich: Turkey, Swiss, mustard on wheat bread
Carrots
Milk

Snack 2 4pm:
Cashews (lightly salted) or Peanuts (no salt)
Green Tea

Dinner 7pm:
Sandwich: Tuna, Swiss, mayo on wheat bread
Corn or Peas
Milk

Drink water throughout the day.

If you look at any charts of meat, Turkey and Tuna are extremely lean and packed with protein. You still need fat so bring on the cheese and milk and nuts and mayo, but keep the meat extremely lean.

****1 Dinner per week should be a treat. I do pizza Friday night, but skip the beer and have a soda...the sugar isn't great for you but it's not as bad as the effects of alcohol on your metabolism.

If you slip at a snack or for a lunch, the day is not lost. Get back on track immediately with the next snack or meal. If you say the day is lost, THEN the day is lost. Don't let this happen, its a quick downward spiral.

It's boring, it's plain, but you know what...it's easy and it covers everything, look you just got 4-5 servings of fruits and vegetables, 3-4 dairy, 3-4 proteins, and 5-6 grain.

And that's what we all really need, easy and effective.

I hope this helps. It's working for me as I write this.

**note--you will be hungry on week one. But realize, you're hungry because your stomach is stretched beyond it's limits. Suffer for one week and you won't be able to eat like you do now. After week 4 I challenge you to try eating what you did before you started this diet, you'll feel sick long before you can finish a footlong sub or a pizza.

If you read all the way through it, drop a line. Let me know if you have suggestions for me or if plan to try it...I'm curious to see your results and I'd be happy to discuss.

Ebay Feedback

Last edited by RCasna; 03-17-2011 at 02:34 AM.
RCasna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2011, 02:39 AM   #2 (permalink)
You know the music...

You have some good tips here.

A lot of people have no idea what a portion is. A serving of meat is 4 oz. That's a piece of steak about as big around as your closed fist.

If you're finding yourself hungry while you're shocking yourself down to whatever your caloric goals are, don't just eat a salad. Get a light string cheese or some cottage cheese in there, or a packet of tuna. Protein, good fats, and fiber are what keep you feeling full.

Some little treasures I've discovered:

Jif Natural Peanut Butter. All the good fats and protein of peanut butter without all the crap that's usually stirred in there. If you've tried natural PB before and didn't like it, try this, it tastes VERY similar to "regular" peanut butter.

Del Monte Fruit Naturals. I mow through these like they're going out of style. 2 servings fruit in pure fruit juice. Look for them at Sams in a box.

Sargento Reduced Fat String Cheese. These go great when you're sipping on a grapefruit fruit natural. 50 calories, some protein and a reasonable dose of good fat. Buy them at sams in the 30 pack bag.

Go to your deli and buy lean cuts of turkey, ham, or chicken. Stay away from the sausages, salamis, etc. Put less on your sammich than you think you need. Four ounces! Weigh it if you have to for a while, to get an idea of how much you should be eating.

Cottage cheese. Get 1% or fat free. Dynamite on the side of a salad. Good fat, protein. Yay!

Tuna is your friend. I like the starkist in the pouch in WATER. Do not eat the stuff in oil. The tuna packed in oil is like slathering your salad with half a bottle of ranch. Basically un-doing the whole point of eating it in the first place.

Want potato chips? Try sensible portions veggie chips or potato straws. They're fantastic.
Old 03-17-2011, 02:54 AM   #3 (permalink)
MCB Member

I may be "off" by a wide margin but here is another way to look at weight loss and fitness:

3,500 calories is one pound of fat
there are 7 days in a week

500 calories total per day have to be "removed" from your body and your diet

eat 250 calories less per day and exercise for 20-30 minutes per day to burn 250 calories

less 500 calories per day = 7 days in a week = lose 4 pounds per month

do this for the rest of your life and you will be fit and trim
the exercise can be simple but you must exert yourself continuously for at least 20 minutes (i usually run or row)

every other day exercising doesn't work for me but 20 minutes is something i can usually squeeze in every day
the flip side to the daily exercise is that eventually your metabolism will allow you to eat/drink what you want (works for me)

past & present http://www.freewebs.com/non-inflammable/

my feedback: http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/f...-feedback.html

Last edited by freedom; 03-17-2011 at 03:10 AM.
freedom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2011, 01:52 PM   #4 (permalink)
You know the music...

Freedom - In theory you are absolutely correct. One pound of human fat is about 3,500 stored calories.

However, there are some people who are at a daily caloric surplus in their diet. As a matter of fact, I would say this is the majority of people. These people will have to cut more than 500 per day. If you are currently overeating by 500 calories for example, you would need to cut or burn 1000 per day to go into caloric deficit.

There are other problems with using the mathematical "theory" to weight loss.

1. It's almost impossible to know your base metabolic rate without a medical professional doing tests.

2. Also, there is something called the "Thermic Effect of Food". This describes the number of calories your body uses to digest what you've eaten. Everything you eat has a different thermic effect. Protein has the highest thermic effect, fat the lowest, carbs in the middle. This means that even if you meticulously track your "calories in" you're still going to be off on your math. If you're at too much of a caloric defecit, you'll put your body in famine mode and fail to lose weight no matter what you do.

And finally, yes. If you lead a quite active lifestyle and eat several small meals through the day on a regular basis, your metabolism will be firing all day, every day. This would enable you to be less strict on your diet. You'll probably be pretty ravenously hungry through the day because your body is looking for the calories. Granted, if you eat like crap on a consistent basis your metabolism will eventually slow back down and start storing calories. Some people are never able to eat "what they want (pizza, burgers, wings, beer)" without gaining weight, regardless of what they do.
Old 03-17-2011, 02:01 PM   #5 (permalink)
CCI Pistolier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Helmi_17 View Post
Freedom - Some people are never able to eat "what they want (pizza, burgers, wings, beer)" without gaining weight, regardless of what they do.
This is true for a few people I know. I have a history in my family of obesity, high blood pressure, diabetes, and overweight people, . I think it is more due to diet because not everyone has it. I am trying now in my life to get in a routine that way later on in life it will be easier to stick with the same old plan. Teach my future family/kids to eat healthy and eat food more as fuel not as a means of entertainment or pleasure. The other day my Mom kept trying to get me to try all this food though I was done eating for the day. It was late and I reached how much food I wanted to eat and since I don't spend a whole lot of time eating with them I had forgotten that is how i was raised. Living on my own I have been able to eat better and with more of a goal in mind.

-Spaz

^^^ Steal this if you want.^^^

feedback

SPC in the US Army Reserve

Lansing, MI
spaz66777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2011, 02:25 PM   #6 (permalink)
Post Whore

I've started to watch what I eat again. Due to circumstances I'm in (living at college), it doesn't really allow me to have full control over my diet - but I definitely have the ability to watch what I'm eating. What I've started doing is keeping a food journal - just a list of what I'm putting into my body each day at each meal. It helps a lot as far as motivating me to make better choices and of course keeping track of what I'm eating. Its easy enough to make a crappy decision if I'm not keeping track; I'll just eat it and not think about it again, but now I don't want to have to write it in my journal later on in the day, so I don't eat it in the first place.

I do plan on trying to overhaul my complete diet next semester, as I'll be commuting instead of living at school. I have moderate experience with nutrition (used to be super healthy in middle school / high school), and RC's plan is pretty damn good.
Yomillio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2011, 04:11 PM   #7 (permalink)
MCB Member

Quote:
there is something called the "Thermic Effect of Food"
good stuff there, i had no idea...

Quote:
Originally Posted by spaz66777 View Post
The other day my Mom kept trying to get me to try all this food though I was done eating for the day.
this is huge... never eat just because you're bored or someone expects you to finish your plate.

Quote:
Some people are never able to eat "what they want (pizza, burgers, wings, beer)" without gaining weight, regardless of what they do.
i'll agree that some people may not be able to do this but with daily exercise and proper portion size, most people should.
"eating what you want" is two slices, a few wings and a beer. not the whole pie and finishing the six.

i've seen a small woman eat 3,000 calories a day and not gain weight.
this was in a controlled environment where caloric intake was Upgraded at 250 cal intervals: weird stuff just happens...

past & present http://www.freewebs.com/non-inflammable/

my feedback: http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/f...-feedback.html

Last edited by freedom; 03-17-2011 at 04:19 PM.
freedom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2011, 04:59 PM   #8 (permalink)
You know the music...

You're absolutely right Freedom. Most people should be able to afford themselves those small indulgences on an infrequent or semi-regular basis. (once a week-ish)
Old 03-18-2011, 11:05 AM   #9 (permalink)
Nope

Quote:
Freedom - In theory you are absolutely correct. One pound of human fat is about 3,500 stored calories.

However, there are some people who are at a daily caloric surplus in their diet. As a matter of fact, I would say this is the majority of people. These people will have to cut more than 500 per day. If you are currently overeating by 500 calories for example, you would need to cut or burn 1000 per day to go into caloric deficit.

There are other problems with using the mathematical "theory" to weight loss.

1. It's almost impossible to know your base metabolic rate without a medical professional doing tests.

2. Also, there is something called the "Thermic Effect of Food". This describes the number of calories your body uses to digest what you've eaten. Everything you eat has a different thermic effect. Protein has the highest thermic effect, fat the lowest, carbs in the middle. This means that even if you meticulously track your "calories in" you're still going to be off on your math. If you're at too much of a caloric defecit, you'll put your body in famine mode and fail to lose weight no matter what you do.
Another thing to add is that eating 200 calories of protein/fat is more difficult to digest than 200 calories of refined sugars, so your body should actually use a bit more energy to break down the proteins/fats, and you'll actually feel full for longer since it takes longer to digest.
a_ak57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2011, 11:57 AM   #10 (permalink)
The Attractive Fireman

CCM Fan
Brass N Wood Fan
I'm trying to lose a little weight and get more in shape. Posting so I'll be subscribed to the thread.

Great info in here.

Thanks.
TippmannFireman is offline   Reply With Quote

mcarterbrown.com » General » Off-Topic » Fitness