mcarterbrown.com

Fitness Health and Fitness Forums

Old 04-29-2011, 01:01 PM   #11 (permalink)
Post Whore

I think losing weight and being healthy is really just common sense, at least on paper. Foods that are natural are healthy. It's when you start eating refined stuff that you're crossing the line.

Lifting is another story since that is relatively dangerous and if you're not knowledgeable of what you're doing, you could get hurt. But there really isn't a secret to eating the right amount of food, which means making smarter eating choices, and getting exercise.

The 'ideal' diet (such as amount of carbs/protein/fat) is different for everyone, but most natural foods are universally healthy and by eating right you'll get yourself in the ballpark and from there you can experiment.
StealingYerMail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2011, 01:20 PM   #12 (permalink)
MCBs armed pacifist

I'm going to be more supportive.

Will it take more? Yeh, it will.

Is it a great step in the right direction? YES.

Mental picture.

You are here You want to be over here

Its not a single step, but a series of small steps and journeys that take time. You must be committed to the long haul, and understand as long as you are moving in the right you are gaining. Setbacks will occur, but know that you have a map, and you are closer to "over here" than you were when you started.
"Do not overcome by the evil, but overcome, in the good, the evil" - Romans 12:21 - Young's Literal Translation

"Use peaceful means where they are appropriate; but where they are not appropriate, do not hesitate to resort to more forceful - Thupten Gyatso (the Dalai Lama, 1932)

"It is not the will to win that matters - everyone has that. It's the will to prepare to win that matters" Coach Paul 'Bear' Bryant.

"The ink of scholars is more precious than the blood of martyrs" - Muhammed
Lohman446 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2011, 02:16 PM   #13 (permalink)
Straight 6 DID Bust!

Quote:
Originally Posted by gainman View Post
yes but cutting soda out of your diet is not going to make you skinny by itself.
Skinny isn't what I'm after. Healthy is what I'm after. If I was 250 pounds, but healthy I wouldn't really care. As of now weighing 210 isn't healthy.

I've been that dieting alone is often enough to cut through fat at my age just as kid's my age are hitting growth spurts so often. I've seen that as well. Any opinion on that? I think it would be different for everyone, but I'm also thinking that might explain how I lost 30 pounds just from backing up on the pop.

As far as the food itself goes I have also been told that it's not what you eat, it's HOW much you eat. As in 15 fries is better than insert healthy food here in a large amount. Any take on that?

Like I said, good health hasn't always been practiced in my family. My dad has a freaky metabolism so he eats a lot, but doesn't gain weight. Mom is large, my sister is large and I'm large...so carry on
Kermit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2011, 02:21 PM   #14 (permalink)

Swim. It's nearly impossible to get hurt doing, burns a **** ton of calories and works your whole body.

Downside is it's boring as **** but you will definitely burn a lot of calories if you keep it up. If you do swim it is important to set times for yourself and not just do laps. If you don't push yourself you won't lose anything.
SKI008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2011, 02:23 PM   #15 (permalink)
Confirmed Agglet

CCM Fan
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigballa View Post
I'll admit to eating junk food....as I don't really plan what I eat and I'm almost never home. Thing is I don't eat that much food. How is it that kids can weigh 140 pounds and eat junk food all day, every day and not gain a pound?

As for my workout plan I don't have one...I'm not inactive by any means. I hike a lot and get outside a lot. This is why I'm asking about a gym membership, there is a gym 5 minutes from my house that has really good rates that I'm considering.
i am 14 5' 4". I am lean. Im not gaunt by any means but im in very good shape. I do eat a lot but i incorporate a lot of fresh fruits and veggies into my diet I never eat fast food as well. But i play lacrosse and am outside everyday. I also work out a lot i was like 4 times a week before i got injured. And for a gym i say go for it it helps a lot. GL

http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/f...-feedback.html

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mayvik View Post
I don't want to live on this planet anymore.
tomdabmb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2011, 02:31 PM   #16 (permalink)
Post Whore

Quote:
As far as the food itself goes I have also been told that it's not what you eat, it's HOW much you eat. As in 15 fries is better than insert healthy food here in a large amount. Any take on that?
Yes and no. There is no food that makes you fat just by eating it -- excess calories do. That said, when people eat sugary/starchy foods, excessively greasy foods, or processed foods, they're eating a lot of calories that do not need to exist.

A lot of fibrous foods -- veggies, fruits (fruit sugar is not the same as processed sugar), beans and foods rich in animal fats and proteins such as pork loin, fish and eggs are very filling, especially when compared to things like white potatoes or candy bars.

So while the reality is that 2000 calories are 2000 calories regardless of what product they come from, not all calories are created equal. Plus the nutritional value is never equal when you compare unhealthy to healthy foods. For example, if you need let's say, 300 calories to round out your day, you could eat an order of fries from McDonald's. Or you could do home and cook some veggies and a fillet of haddock and get close to the same total. Obviously the veggies and fish are going to be way more nutritious.

Getting all of your vitamins and minerals is important for general health. And when your body is working at 100% capacity, you can literally feel it. By supplying your body with the right nutrients, it will boost your metabolism, give you more energy, and you will just feel better... in essence, you will be healthy.

But again, it is very important to take everything in steps. If you go cold turkey on all unhealthy foods, you might end up having a lot of setbacks or binging on junk food more often than if you annihilated various things from your diet one at a time. Like Lohman said, it is a journey and it takes time, and the more time you spend altering and changing your diet, the greater your return will ultimately be, and the harder it will be to go back to your old ways.

I really think the best way is to start with cardio and remove soda and refined sugars from your diet for a couple weeks, then remove something else that is unhealthy after you've lost a craving for the previous elimination. It's also good to allow yourself a "cheat day" once every 7-10 days... it is healthy to throw your metabolism a curve ball, plus it gives you an outlet to eat what you want -- just don't go overboard.

The best way to figure out what to eat and what not to eat would be to count calories. Figure out how many calories you need by using your BMR and adjust accordingly. the LiveStrong site has a great calorie counter. But, keep in mind that at your age, you're still growing and you need to EAT.

Last edited by StealingYerMail; 04-29-2011 at 02:36 PM.
StealingYerMail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2011, 02:57 PM   #17 (permalink)
Semper Fi

CCM Fan
Brass N Wood Fan
Im pulling out of this thread. Waaaaaay to much horible advice is in here and you're gonna get confused

ANGELS FOR LIFE!!!
gainman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2011, 05:42 PM   #18 (permalink)
ala koskaan anna periksi

CCM Fan
Brass N Wood Fan
All you need to know: Cardio routines for at least 45 minutes a day, 5 days a week, build intensity as you go, and eat right, no fast food, no soda, nothing fried, you will lose the weight, and yes it takes time, nothing comes over night, but after the couple weeks if you stick to it, you will notice a difference. Appearance isn't everything man, as long as you feel healthy and stay active, thats all that matters. Hell I'm not the biggest guy, 6', 169lbs, but I can run and spar for hours, it just takes time.

The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much, it is whether we provide enough for those who have little.
A conservative is a man with two perfectly good legs who, however, has never learned how to walk forward.
Franklin D. Roosevelt
Helghast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2011, 06:56 PM   #19 (permalink)
no, I'M sorry

Quote:
Like I said, good health hasn't always been practiced in my family. My dad has a freaky metabolism so he eats a lot, but doesn't gain weight. Mom is large, my sister is large and I'm large...so carry on
calories in calories out. you want faster metabolism? exercise more. the more muscles you put on, the more calories you burn just by existing.

start running. you wouldn't want soda soon enough, when you need hydration after running and find out soda dehydrates you.

pile of poo, HARD MODE, automag pistol---S.P.E.W.II---What if this hurts me?---No, I'M sorry.---Semiautomatic Nelspot 007!---Decay of Nations 4
Camp Pendleton meetup 2010---Watch me fail at pump!---Clareball 2010 vid!---MCB Stock Class Meet!---HELMETCAM!
Quote:
Originally Posted by skullcandy1993 View Post
Before the first day Velcor said let there be Heinous and it was true. And then Heinous said "Let there be God" and it was true. And it was good
heinous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2011, 07:54 AM   #20 (permalink)
MCBs armed pacifist

Heres something interesting. If I weight myself on a regular basis I find that my activity and diet the 5-10 prior to that weight matters more than the diet / activity 1-5 days. When starting a new plan STAY AWAY FROM THE SCALE. Your activity (even running) will build muscle, muscle weighs more than fat and has to exist before it begins burning calories. Your weight will fluctuate. If you graphed it over time you would see a downward trend, but there would be upward spikes. Part of this is water weight which will be inconsistent as well.

Some people have a naturally fast metabolism - their eating habits will probably catch up to them. If your metabolism is stupid low talk to your doctor. Start counting calories first, I know some of those people who are thin and eat like that may be thin but they are not in shape. It shows the moment they have to sustain an activity such as running. Its fun running people into the ground 15-20 lbs lighter than you BTW.
"Do not overcome by the evil, but overcome, in the good, the evil" - Romans 12:21 - Young's Literal Translation

"Use peaceful means where they are appropriate; but where they are not appropriate, do not hesitate to resort to more forceful - Thupten Gyatso (the Dalai Lama, 1932)

"It is not the will to win that matters - everyone has that. It's the will to prepare to win that matters" Coach Paul 'Bear' Bryant.

"The ink of scholars is more precious than the blood of martyrs" - Muhammed
Lohman446 is online now   Reply With Quote

mcarterbrown.com » General » Off-Topic » Fitness