mcarterbrown.com

Fitness Health and Fitness Forums

Old 04-29-2011, 10:28 AM   #1 (permalink)
Straight 6 DID Bust!

No Soda For a Year V2.0...Questions needing answered!

So I went from January 1, 2010 to January 1, 2011 without a single soda pop and dropped about 30 pounds. I started weighing in at 220 pounds and got to 185-190ish last summer and held that weight for a few months through the summer. Then winter came and gave me a Christmas present...20 pounds back and right now I'm at 210 and decided to do a no-more-soda-marathon for probably longer than a year.

Sick and freaking tired of having this belly. Literally, I've been fat my whole life. Since I was 6 probably. I was 130 pounds in the 4th grade and fat, 170 by my 8th grade year and right now I'm a sophomore and up 40 pounds at 210

My question to you is, how can I get the weight off other than soda(by soda I mean soda and other stuff like sweet teas)? I know I can do better than 30 pounds in a year. I get my license next month as well as start my job so that opens up possibilities with affording a gym membership. Yay or Nay?

Just to keep up with the show-your-belly-now trend, here you go. We'll see what this looks like in a few months!
Kermit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2011, 10:37 AM   #2 (permalink)
Post Whore

whats your workout regimine now? cutting out fried foods will probably help more than cutting soda.
i lost ~30 pounds in 2.5 months buy jogging and cutting fried food. and drinking lots of water. no gatorade, etc.
Dallas NotoRious #77
Quote:
Originally Posted by aka Mich View Post
So very tempting. Let me weigh the cost/benefits between paying rent or buying a _____.
Big Daddy Cool is watching you...

feedback-here
feedback-CC
feedback-PbN
77monteballer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2011, 11:13 AM   #3 (permalink)
Straight 6 DID Bust!

I'll admit to eating junk food....as I don't really plan what I eat and I'm almost never home. Thing is I don't eat that much food. How is it that kids can weigh 140 pounds and eat junk food all day, every day and not gain a pound?

As for my workout plan I don't have one...I'm not inactive by any means. I hike a lot and get outside a lot. This is why I'm asking about a gym membership, there is a gym 5 minutes from my house that has really good rates that I'm considering.
Kermit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2011, 12:19 PM   #4 (permalink)
Semper Fi

CCM Fan
Brass N Wood Fan
First thing you have to realize is there is NO quick fix. Cutting soda is not gonna do it. The 30 pounds you lost before is 20-25 pounds water weight, which is why it came back so fast and easy.

You need a lifestyle change. It is all about eating CORRECTLY (notice I did not say diet), lifting weights, and cardio cardio cardio. Did I mention cardio?

You mention that you dont each much food. This is part of your problem. The saying "breakfast is the most important part of your day" is more than just an old wives tale. You need to be up early and eat a large (healthy) breakfast. This boosts your metabolism way up nice and early. Throughout the rest of the day you need to eat a lot of small meals about every 2 hours and 15 minutes or so. What this does is as soon as your metabolism starts to come back down, it kicks it up again and keeps it at max for the whole day. If you eat 1 large meal in the morning, then go the whole day without eating until 8pm where you eat a large dinner again your body is learning to store the fat from the morning food because it wont get food again till night time. It is key to eat 8-9 small meals throughout the day.

I think I am gonna write a sticky because people keep asking the same questions.

ANGELS FOR LIFE!!!
gainman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2011, 12:24 PM   #5 (permalink)
Wookie D*ck

Quote:
Originally Posted by gainman View Post
First thing you have to realize is there is NO quick fix. Cutting soda is not gonna do it. The 30 pounds you lost before is 20-25 pounds water weight, which is why it came back so fast and easy.
I don't think that's quite accurate. Soda is probably the single most fattening food item in North America.

Anyways, this is a good resource:

http://www.reddit.com/r/fitness
russc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2011, 12:26 PM   #6 (permalink)
Semper Fi

CCM Fan
Brass N Wood Fan
yes but cutting soda out of your diet is not going to make you skinny by itself.

ANGELS FOR LIFE!!!
Old 04-29-2011, 12:27 PM   #7 (permalink)
Post Whore

Cutting simple sugars is better than cutting fats. But cutting soda, sugary foods AND fast food is the way to go.

The kids who weigh 140 pounds and eat junk all day probably have a lot of lean mass. Lean mass has a really huge effect on metabolism... I'm 5'5", 130 pounds and I'd be suprised if I'm higher than 5% bf. I eat about 2500 calories a day. That's a lot for someone my size. Some people naturally have a faster metabolism, but the more you exercise and put on lean mass the faster it will become.

I suggest you cut out soda. Then cut out sugary foods. Then cut out greasy junk food. The key is to do it in little steps. Once you start eating a more wholesome and natural diet, old greasy and sugary processed foods begin to taste like what they are -- crap. The average person consumes vast amounts of sugar and salt every day. If you bring this to a healthier level, and limit salt intake (you do NEED some) and only consume natural sugars from natural sources such as fruit, veggies, dairy and complex carbs from grains, you'll feel better and be leaner.

Another good place to start is drink water. A lot of water, at least 64 ounces of liquids a day and stay away from sports drinks and juices. Limit all liquids to water or 2% milk.

Another good place to start is to stop using vegetable oil. That stuff is not good for you, and a lot of unnatural fat is very unhealthy and your body doesn't know what to do with certain fatty acids that aren't natural. Stick to frying meat in its own grease or use olive oil.

You can make smart choices when you're out with your friends... when my friends eat out and I'm with them, I usually find a way to get to a store and buy a bottle of 2% milk and a couple pieces of fruit.

The absolute best way to lose weight is,
-cardio
-count calories
-find where you're consuming excess calories and get rid of them
-substitute unhealthy foods for healthy foods

The healthier you eat, the easier it will be. But for now I would focus on cutting out soda and sweet foods and limit stuff like chips. If you do that, the rest will fall into place.

Sorry for the book.

Last edited by StealingYerMail; 04-29-2011 at 12:44 PM.
StealingYerMail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2011, 12:34 PM   #8 (permalink)
Seasoned Member

Break the 3 meal a day (or in most cases 2) habit. Shift to 6 smaller meals a day, with the largest of them being a healthy robust breakfast.

Lots of fiber-rich foods, which help keep you full during the day and fight off that restless eating habit. Lots of fruits, veggies, and oatmeal. Buy a bunch of sweet potatoes. Nuke them when you need a quick snack -- filling, tasty, and full of vitamins and minerals crucial to bodily functions.

Look up a book called Mindless Eating. Really good piece. You'll be surprised with how often you say "I do that all the time" while reading it. It is an excellent social and psychological review of why you eat what you eat, and how to avoid pitfalls.
Old 04-29-2011, 12:41 PM   #9 (permalink)
A Little Grainy

I'm no dietitian, but I think it's probably going to take more than stopping your consumption of soda to lose the weight.

I'm on the other end of the spectrum, I'm 5'10",130 and I can eat seven pounds of junk food in a day( I seriously did that. I weighed myself that morning, ate all day, weighed myself that evening, and weighed myself the next morning. 126,eat,133,sleep,126) and it's gone the next day. But I can't put on any upper body muscle. I'm not weak, I can lift as heavy weights as the next kid, but my arms are french fries. I guess I'd rather be light than overweight, but for all the working out I do I'd like to see something. Oh well, better than being overweight.

And kudos to you bigballa for wanting to do something. I don't have anything against bigger guys, but I think it's great when someones not to lazy to do anything.
Supergyro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2011, 12:49 PM   #10 (permalink)
Semper Fi

CCM Fan
Brass N Wood Fan
the only PERSONAL advice I will give is to not really listen to crap advice of anyone on here, including myself. Do the research and learn from the experts. They devote their lives to studying all this. No one on here is a fitness expert.

To get started in the gym since you asked about it, learn about starting strength from Mark Rippetoe. This is the absolute best guide to begining weight lifting and he is the expert.

The Starting Strength Novice/Beginner Programs - Starting Strength Wiki

If you are not following this as your lifting routine, you are doing it wrong.

ANGELS FOR LIFE!!!

mcarterbrown.com » General » Off-Topic » Fitness