mcarterbrown.com  

Fitness Health and Fitness Forums

Old 05-03-2011, 02:28 PM   #11 (permalink)
Handgoon

Brass N Wood Fan
I think I'll follow this thread, as I'm in the same boat you are. Im 17, 6' and 198 which is pretty close to you so I could use some kind of diet.

The one bit of advice I can offer is if you are looking for something specific to cut or limit try artificial sugars. I have been doing this for about 3 months and I have been feeling significantly better about dieting in general. While this hasnt exactly helped me lose any weight it is still a definite benefit to me.

Just my .02

MY FEEDBACK
skullcandy1993 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2011, 02:59 PM   #12 (permalink)
Simple mind - beware

And don't get married and have kids!
Before marriage and kids I weighed 186lbs with 11% body fat.
After marriage and a baby: 208lbs with 23% body fat.
I am 5'11".
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mayvik View Post
9 times out of 10, it's an electric razor. But sometimes...

it's a dildo.
Me Feedback
Chaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2011, 03:13 PM   #13 (permalink)
Post Whore

This is all great advice, but there are some misconceptions that saturated fat is bad.

There are natural and unnatural fats. Natural fat is like animal fat -- eggs, milk, fish, you get it. Unnatural fat is **** from refined sugars and vegetable oil. Milk fat is good fat. Skim milk is a little ridiculous because it's really just water and natural sugar. I mean, when you pay cash for a dairy product, you're essentially trading cash for dairy fat. I just feel like skim milk is a rip off. I say drink 1% or 2% depending on which you prefer the taste of.

If you're trying to cut body fat you should generally watch your overall fat intake -- because you're counting calories, not because it is "fat." There is nothing wrong with saturated animal fat; it is extremely important for your body's overall health and cutting fat from your diet completely or strictly limiting it is not what I would deem as healthy. There's also the whole myth that saturated fat causes high cholesterol, but more and more evidence is pointing to refined sugars and synthetic vegetable fats as the causes of high cholesterol rather than animal fat. I would like to note that fast food is cooked in vegetable oil.

You could lose weight if you lived off of saturated fat but still counted calories. I'm not saying go on a fat binge, but to view it as the enemy is silly. The real "bad" food is comprised of processed/refined sugars -- white rice, sugary cereal, pasta, etc. You don't have to give up bacon or anything like that. What you need to do is COUNT CALORIES. If you find yourself consuming excessive amounts of bacon, then yes, you should cut it. But, just pay attention to the nutrition labels on the backs of packages and learn what a serving size is.

Think of it this way, humans have evolved (and survived) by eating meat from various animals and gathering fruits, vegetables and legumes. It's in your genes to eat it. Downing grilled skinless chicken breast after grilled skinless chicken breast WILL help you lose weight, but only because it's naturally low-calorie. Trimming some of the fat off of a pork loin will reduce it's overall amount of calories and fill you up just as well -- fat (especially fat) and protein are better at keeping you full. Pork is also a much cleaner meat than chicken these days.

Really, the only way to lose weight is to COUNT CALORIES. Avoiding nutritious carbohydrates (fruit, veggies, beans) and animal fat isn't the way to do it. Everything in moderation.

The real nutrition and health lies in the diets of professional athletes. Millions of dollars are spent on nutritional research and practice for professional soccer players and NHL athletes or whatever. They do consume vast amounts of food, but you can translate their diets to yours. These "movie-star" diet plans where they're downing skim milk and low fat chicken breast after chicken breast is silly. It's all about net calories. Do whatever you gotta do to get the right amount of calories in. If skinless chicken breasts and limited bacon is how you gotta do it, then do that. But I've been down that chicken breast road, and I'm off of it now and still doing fine. Just count calories and exercise, I can't stress that enough.
StealingYerMail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2011, 03:36 PM   #14 (permalink)
Texas Rush - Pump Player

I try and work on a simple plan with a rewarding dinner.

Breakfast - Oatmeal, low sugar/weight control kind, Cinnamon on top. Maybe a yogurt or banana with this. ~ 300-350 cals

Mid snack - almond bar ~ 150 cals (most delicious things you'll ever eat)

Lunch - 300 calorie hot meal (meat and veggies)

Mid snack - cashew bar/almond bar/ something in the 100-150 cal region

Dinner - 300-500 calorie dinner. Meat and veggies

Unfortunately, even with sticking under 1500 calories a day, I have had no real luck the last 4-5 months. 5'9 225 lbs, gym 2x a week (grueling full body routine), at least 1-3 miles a day (excluding weekends) but paintball every Sunday. I'm in great shape but I can't shake the weight.

I also slam back carbonated water after carbonated water. No sugars, no calories, slight sodium. I try to keep my water intake close to a gallon per day mixing regular water and carbonated throughout. The ones at HEB and Target are AMAZING. Lime will taste just like 7-Up
Shawn_Savage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2011, 03:46 PM   #15 (permalink)
Post Whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shawn_Savage View Post

Breakfast - Oatmeal, low sugar/weight control kind, Cinnamon on top. Maybe a yogurt or banana with this. ~ 300-350 cals

Unfortunately, even with sticking under 1500 calories a day, I have had no real luck the last 4-5 months. 5'9 225 lbs, gym 2x a week (grueling full body routine), at least 1-3 miles a day (excluding weekends) but paintball every Sunday. I'm in great shape but I can't shake the weight.

I also slam back carbonated water after carbonated water. No sugars, no calories, slight sodium. I try to keep my water intake close to a gallon per day mixing regular water and carbonated throughout. The ones at HEB and Target are AMAZING. Lime will taste just like 7-Up
Because 1500 calories isn't enough if you're running that much. An average sedentary woman would need about 1500 calories per day. An active male is going to need more. However, the plan you listed is a very good one and extremely similar to how I personally eat, besides the carbonated water. Although a good protein/fat source in the morning is a great addition.

When your body doesn't get enough food energy (calories) it's going to burn muscle mass and store fat as a means of survival. You're starving it, and when it boils down, excess stored fat is a better defense mechanism than lean mass. To your body, you're not getting enough calories because you're a "****ty hunter." So to prepare your body for the food drought, it's going to store fat.

Don't get me wrong, to lose weight you have to cut excess calories. But you need to cut only a reasonable amount. What you need to do is determine your BMR (Google it) and from there you can get a ballpark idea of how many calories you need to consume to lose weight at a healthy level. A pound of fat is lost over the course of a week when you burn/reduce caloric intake by about 3500. That seems like a lot, but when you factor in a healthy diet and exercise, it is NOTHING over the course of a week. As Lohman said, losing weight is a process and it doesn't happen over night. But, that makes the process that much more rewarding.

I cannot stress how important it is to count calories and consume the right amount of food. The LiveStrong website has an app called MyPlate (which works on iPhones and Android phones I believe) which can help you get a ballpark number for your BMR, and it also contains a huge food database which makes counting calories and macro-nutrients painless.

Last edited by StealingYerMail; 05-03-2011 at 04:03 PM.
StealingYerMail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2011, 03:55 PM   #16 (permalink)
Slowly making progress

Quote:

I could never do that. I gave up soda and lost 12 pounds over the course of a year and changed nothing else. I still drink beers and average 4 a week, but guessing on that. Some weeks it's zero, but Sat. night I had a pitcher+. One thing I learned about carbonation is that you can't count it as water and you have to make that up with the same volume of water to come back to being even. It dehydrates you. Try switching to a calorie free powder drink for a week or two and see how that goes. You aren't getting any caffeine from the sounds of it, so you won't have those cravings, looks like you just lust for the fizzy part of soda. That should be easier to kick, hopefully.

DT1 Dust Devil want list. Click me!
Quote:
Originally Posted by neftaly View Post
New advertising tagline: "Simon Stevens said that will be totally fine and nothing bad could ever happen. Ever."
Feedback
desertT1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2011, 10:35 PM   #17 (permalink)
Texas Rush - Pump Player

I did a fair amount of research prior to switching over and the information I found always pointed to carbonated water being equally as beneficial and hydrating as standard water. Sometimes the minerals in it giving it a slight edge

A quick, non scientific link

http://www.ehow.com/about_5100595_sp...lar-water.html
Shawn_Savage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2011, 02:00 PM   #18 (permalink)
Semper Fi

CCM Fan
Brass N Wood Fan
Quote:

You are not eating enough. Add in an after dinner snack and up your portions a little. Also, If you are trying to lose weight, cut back on the "grueling" gym routine. You want to sustain, not build muscle (you cant build muscle and lose weight). Also, instead of running everyday, mix it up. Do a bike ride one of the days, hit the stair climber, etc. I run every other day, and do something else on the in between. Just like weightlifting, your body gets used to running all the time so mix it up.

ANGELS FOR LIFE!!!
gainman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2011, 02:56 PM   #19 (permalink)
Post Whore

Its all about calories in/out.

Limit yourself to 1500 calories perday if you want to loose weight.

If you want to maintain weight and reduce BMI then you need to look at a lifting/cardio routine

along with a protein rich diet.
jdlarson11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2011, 12:35 PM   #20 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdlarson11 View Post
Its all about calories in/out.

Limit yourself to 1500 calories perday if you want to loose weight.

If you want to maintain weight and reduce BMI then you need to look at a lifting/cardio routine

along with a protein rich diet.
First part is 100%. Eat healthy and watch your calories.

Second part is not so much. As mentioned before 1500 cal's per day on any exercise regiment is too low. You need to fuel your body.

There is no exact formula. The only true way is to record exact measurements of food. I would first start at 2000 calories if you are exercising regularly & see if you gain or lose any weight after one week. Adjust from there.
Bieltan is offline   Reply With Quote

mcarterbrown.com » General » Off-Topic » Fitness