mcarterbrown.com  

Fitness Health and Fitness Forums

Old 04-29-2011, 02:23 PM   #1 (permalink)
Straight 6 DID Bust!

Help Me Set Up A Diet

This is sort of in response to my other thread from this morning. It's become apparent that I need a diet, I just have no idea what to do to set up one. I'm 16, 5'11", 209 pounds, 29% BMI. Help!
Kermit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2011, 03:03 PM   #2 (permalink)
Post Whore

Just to reiterate, the most important thing is to take everything in steps.

The absolute healthiest diet is going to come from shopping around the perimeter of the grocery store. Along the outskirts, you're going to find produce, dairy, eggs and meat. That's the good stuff. Avoid simple carbohydrates from stuff like candy and white rice. Instead eat brown rice, beans and oatmeal. Get good pans and cook meat in its own grease or grill it, or use olive oil.

Can you cook? If not, learn. Someone in your family can probably cook, become their apprentice. Preparing your own food and knowing what to eat is pretty crucial. Plus, a man who can cook looks stupid-sexy to a woman -- to the point where it's almost unbelievable.

The idea of a healthy diet is pretty subjective... simply cutting back on some foods and introducing others will help a ton. There really aren't any magical weight loss foods, it's all based around nutrition and calories. Limit your salt intake and limit fats that don't come from animals. Drink 2% milk and eat some eggs. Peanuts and legumes in general are also good... preparing your own hummus takes five minutes and you can put whatever you want in it.

Eggs are a great place to start. Omelets or scrambled eggs are ridiculously easy to prepare, and making a vegetarian omelet is a great way to eat healthy.

The general rule I follow is if it occurs naturally on this Earth, it's healthy. If it is refined or has a bunch of ingredients I can't pronounce or sound like they're from chemistry lab, I try to limit it.
StealingYerMail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2011, 03:09 PM   #3 (permalink)
Straight 6 DID Bust!

I eat omelets all the time for breakfast...

But that's good advice! Thanks!
Kermit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2011, 03:14 PM   #4 (permalink)
Seasoned Member

I spent a lot of time on body building websites and there are hundreds of different diets. Basically as was said above you have to stop eating junk food. If you think of food as fuel and learn what is good and what is bad it is pretty easy to loose weight slowly. Read the labels on the food and write down calories, carbs, protein and fat for everything you eat for two weeks. You will be surprised how many calories are in certain foods.
Then start cutting back on the big calorie foods and eat more lean meat, fish and veggies. It won't happen overnight but stick with it and you'll make out fine.
magman79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2011, 04:13 PM   #5 (permalink)
Bigger Balls

STOP GOING BY BMI IMMEDIATELY. This needs to be stickied or something... Go by body fat % for a simple number, even a rough estimate of this is far better than BMI at determining physical conditions.

As for your diet, if you're just going for weight loss, count calories. You can lose weight and eat nothing but your favorite food every day if you just keep it at a lower caloric intake than you're used to. For your height and weight, I'd say right at 2k calories a day would be good; don't stick right to that, though...just keep it as your average. It's better to fluctuate your caloric intake, so I hear.

You don't just want to lose weight, though. You want to lose fat. That's where exercise and refinement to your diet comes into play. So, keeping caloric intake average around 2k, eat the "healthy" foods. A simple sandwich with natural ingredients of deli meat, cheese, leafy greens, tomato, seasonings/herbs to taste on a natural bread (I prefer Arnold bread because it's cheap, natural and tastes as good as any other wheat bread) contains nearly everything you need. Eating that everyday with a fruit cup or yogurt on the side for lunch/dinner, alternating with white fish and veggies as desired, got me through months of consecutive weight loss totaling up to 100+lbs in the end. Make sure that you get enough fat in your diet (dairy sources are best, avoid fats that are solid or viscous at room temp; like those in baked goods and fried food) , and take a multivitamin to prevent some difficult to diagnose problems.

I promise you that after 4 or 5 days of this, the hunger pains go away...at that point, all you have to do is prevent cravings by eating a little of whatever you crave immediately when the craving starts (don't pass caloric average). If you're really hungry, eat raw or steamed veggies without any sauce or dip. Some of them are really tasty, so experiment.

Pay attention to what you're drinking. It's really easy to surpass caloric intake if you forget to count what you're drinking. A glass of juice is packed full of calories. Your best bet is to drink water with some lemon/lime juice in it. If you're hooked on soda, carbonated water and fruit juice is a good replacement...but that didn't work for me. It took Lemon Propel to keep me from drinking soda. I grew up drinking 2liters a day....of mtn dew and dr. pepper....i had it bad.

So there you go. Keep reading information, but don't burn yourself out. The simple stuff works, ignore anything overly complicated...that stuff is always useless in practice.
Old 05-01-2011, 04:42 PM   #6 (permalink)
Post Whore

You know, speaking of bread, if someone in your family is good at baking, there a plenty of good bread recipes out there. Homemade bread is the ****. My dad and I always make two batches of 7-8 separate 6" loaves. One batch whole wheat, the other unbleached flour.

Just a thought. Especially since bread goes good with hummus, and hummus is really nutritious and it's just good stuff.
Old 05-01-2011, 04:51 PM   #7 (permalink)
Bigger Balls

Man, I need a source for good hummus here in Atlanta. Everything tastes like mayo here.
Old 05-01-2011, 05:04 PM   #8 (permalink)
Post Whore

You could always make it yourself.

It's really just chick peas, olive oil, cumin, tahini, lemon juice and whatever you want to put in it. Just throw everything in a food processor and you're good to go.
Old 05-03-2011, 11:41 AM   #9 (permalink)
Mar
All nail Drum!

Fan of EMR
CCM Fan
Brass N Wood Fan
Palmers Fan
if you want to punish yourself and drop weight at the same time try this:

COttage cheese for breakfast every day
Tuna or One chicken breast and veggies for lunch ever day
Dinner... whatever, but be reasonable.

No soda, and cottage cheese does not need maple syrup or potato chips in it!

Sure it sucks, but a month of that and you can drop a lot of bodyfat.
Mar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2011, 11:50 AM   #10 (permalink)
Post Whore

Cinnamon goes good on cottage cheese.

mcarterbrown.com » General » Off-Topic » Fitness